Re: Garment construction

  • tudorldy
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2008
      Hello!

      I tried answering this once, but it looks like it's been eaten.

      What you're describing in the first instance is called flat lining.
      The usual practice now is to use a bag lining (i.e., what looks like
      a separate garment which is then felled in whole, as opposed to linng
      the individual pieces of the garment). Flat lining was known in
      period. I honestly can't say if it was more or less prevalent than
      bag lining, but I can imagine that for some garments it simply made
      more sense, and may have been employed more frequently than we see
      today.

      The thing is - the sort of garments that needed to be picked apart to
      be cleaned were picked apart because the laundering technology of the
      time wouldn't have done well on a highly constructed garment. Even
      now to some extent this is true, although in the last few decades
      clothing has become less constructed. For instance, you wouldn't
      toss the jacket from one of your business suits in the washer, would
      you? It may ruin the fabric, but aside from that it would simply be
      rather hard on the suit itself and never look right again.

      Also - keep in mind that people were as clean as they could be under
      the circumstances (and that 'clean' is relative - go camping for a
      few days) but rarely laundered outer garments. Body linen, yes, but
      not doublets and petticoats and the like, except rarely. Much can be
      accomplished with brushing and spot cleaning.

      So, yes, there were garments that were unpicked to be cleaned, and
      they may well have been flat lined. Just remember that they didn't
      throw something in the wash after every wearing, only when it really
      needed it. If you need to know why, do laundry by hand sometime :)

      Best regards,
      Elizabeth Blackdane
      in this year of 1590
    • Sandra
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2008
        Thank you for your input on this subject.. I like how you related it
        to the mundane... it makes a clear-er point.. to me at least.. And yes
        hand washing your laundry is a pain... even with modern detergents.
        Reminds me of when I had my two weeks of training for National Guard
        last summer. I have found that trying to pack 2 weeks worth of clothes
        is next to near impossible... I also was one of few women (the guys
        probably didn't.. we could tell) who did launder at least our
        undergarments and that was a daunting task... I did try to wash my
        outer clothes, ACUs or previously were known BDUs, but it seemed
        pointless as it was going to get dirty again and took a long time to
        dry. Long hot shower and intensive scrubbing were in order when i got
        home! So after that it is no wonder and I can completely understand
        your argument.... and to think I was just doing mine.. imagine if you
        were doing others as well which might have been the case in time
        period! Cleanliness really is next to Godliness!!

        ~S