Re: [Authentic_SCA] box pleating

  • Brad Moore
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008
      Anora,

      I don't know of an extant garment, but I can point you toward a painting or two... Try The Mass of Bolsena (aka The Miracle of Bolsena) by Raphael in the Stanza di Eliodoro in the Vatican. Another is The Expulsion of Heliodoros from the Temple, also by Raphael, same location. The M. of B. depicts the Swiss Guard in the lower right corner wearing pleated bases, the E. of H. depicts the Pope and his bearers (one of which is the artist himself) wearing almost identical pleated bases, but standing. I hope this helps, a little.

      Nicolas

    • alluwolf
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
        Anora, when and where are you trying to document them for? Are you
        just wanting to show they were used before 1600, or are you wanting to
        document using them for something?

        Kath
      • anorathepain@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008
          well I am hoping for around 1530 tudor england but I would settle for before 1600....

          Anora

          Sable, in pile a rose slipped and leaved argent and a feather Or.
          Ita erat quando hic adveni. (it was that way when I got here)
          Check out my Blogs
          Dragonsspine persona Quest http://scaquest.blogspot.com/
          My SCA Blog http://sewingnuts.blogspot.com/

        • m d b
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 24, 2008
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, anorathepain@... wrote:

            > well I am hoping for around 1530 tudor england but I would settle
            for before 1600....

            > Anora

            Sorry for the delay, Yahoo locked me in a loop of insanity when ever
            I tried logging in;)

            http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/ch00022g09a.jpg
            Nice clear sketc with what we would now call box pleats but really
            didn't have much of a name in period. Even the Victorians called them
            reverse pleats.
            http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/ch00022g14a.jpg
            From the same series this also appears to have box pleats.

            There really isn't anything special about a box pleat. Once you take
            a fold of fabric you can stack them, reverse them, make them narrow
            make them wider and overlap.... And given that the Eleanora di Toledo
            gown very definitely shows pleats angled towards the back- in fact
            there is a "reverse box" pleat right in the centre back there... well
            it then only comes down to a question of fashion over possibility.
            These pleats seem more common in Italian and Swiss styles.

            I would though recommend shaping skirts as well as pleating them. All
            the skirts prior to 1600 (and most beyond) in PoF are gored, as are
            all the skirts in Alcega (except the half circle underskirts- still
            they aren't tubes).

            regards,
            Willmeyne
            Michaela