Re: [Authentic_SCA] Research and paintings / illuminations [was: What do you ...

  • Rebecca Klingbeil
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24, 2008
      > The odds of such a CD-ROM as you've described being
      > spiked in similar
      > fashion are unfortunately pretty good. There are a
      > lot of academics in the SCA,
      > and I strongly, strongly suggest that you check with
      > one of them before even
      > starting. Most museums are very protective of
      > their artifacts being
      > photographed for publication, and at least one (the
      > National Gallery of Art in
      > Washington) has researchers sign an agreement to
      > inform the NGA if an artifact the
      > researcher has viewed is so much as *mentioned* in
      > a public lecture, let alone
      > in publication.

      Most of these images are more well known works. The
      source I am working with is the Art Renewal
      International, which runs an online museum on their
      site (http://www.artrenewal.org). They are an "art
      image archive", among other things, much like Scala
      Archives (http://www.scalarchives.com/web/index.asp),
      with whom I directly inquired about licensing rights
      for images for publication.

      I am not going into this ignorant of copyright. I
      *have* been inquiring with image archives and the
      museums themselves. I *am* aware of the costs. I have
      an image archive willing to work with me and help me
      produce these at a reasonable cost. I am currently
      limited to their collection but it is extensive, and I
      will be searching for other images beyond that - and
      willing to pay the appropriate fees for the ones I
      use.

      The images are going to be large enough to be useful
      but not extremely high resolution; they will be for
      the buyers of the CD to use for personal use only (as
      will be clearly stated on the CD); etc. as will
      clearly be stated on the CD. I have explained the
      limits of my intended work to the archive I am working
      with currently, and they are requiring I give them a
      specific list of images I will be using on each CD,
      but will give me the licensing of those images for the
      duration of one year - with option to renew - for a
      very reasonable - given this business - lump sum. Had
      I not found an archive willing to work with me, I
      would have trashed the project.

      I will note that many of the images are ones that, if
      you want them for personal use, they are easily
      available online. All I am doing in trying to collect
      them in one place so that comparisons can be made by
      the CD owners. I am making very basic visual surveys
      of art with a particular focus for each CD. I was very
      clear about this with the art organization I am
      working with, and I will be very clear about this with
      my customers.

      Sincerly,
      Leofwynn Marchaunt