Re: [Authentic_SCA] Research and paintings / illuminations [was: What do you ...

  • kittencat3@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24, 2008
      The odds of such a CD-ROM as you've described being spiked in similar
      fashion are unfortunately pretty good. There are a lot of academics in the SCA,
      and I strongly, strongly suggest that you check with one of them before even
      starting. Most museums are very protective of their artifacts being
      photographed for publication, and at least one (the National Gallery of Art in
      Washington) has researchers sign an agreement to inform the NGA if an artifact the
      researcher has viewed is so much as *mentioned* in a public lecture, let alone
      in publication.

      Even worse, I know of at least one very important academic paper that cannot
      be published for the reason that Iain brings up: copyright. Suffice to say
      that it involves a major museum, an artifact that no one had looked at in
      years, and said museum's sudden plans to publish only after another researcher
      saw the artifact in question and spent almost a year preparing a presentation
      for an academic conference preparatory to publication.

      So...it's a great idea, but probably not possible. :(

      Sarah Davies

      Home.

    • Rebecca Klingbeil
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 24, 2008
        > The odds of such a CD-ROM as you've described being
        > spiked in similar
        > fashion are unfortunately pretty good. There are a
        > lot of academics in the SCA,
        > and I strongly, strongly suggest that you check with
        > one of them before even
        > starting. Most museums are very protective of
        > their artifacts being
        > photographed for publication, and at least one (the
        > National Gallery of Art in
        > Washington) has researchers sign an agreement to
        > inform the NGA if an artifact the
        > researcher has viewed is so much as *mentioned* in
        > a public lecture, let alone
        > in publication.

        Most of these images are more well known works. The
        source I am working with is the Art Renewal
        International, which runs an online museum on their
        site (http://www.artrenewal.org). They are an "art
        image archive", among other things, much like Scala
        Archives (http://www.scalarchives.com/web/index.asp),
        with whom I directly inquired about licensing rights
        for images for publication.

        I am not going into this ignorant of copyright. I
        *have* been inquiring with image archives and the
        museums themselves. I *am* aware of the costs. I have
        an image archive willing to work with me and help me
        produce these at a reasonable cost. I am currently
        limited to their collection but it is extensive, and I
        will be searching for other images beyond that - and
        willing to pay the appropriate fees for the ones I
        use.

        The images are going to be large enough to be useful
        but not extremely high resolution; they will be for
        the buyers of the CD to use for personal use only (as
        will be clearly stated on the CD); etc. as will
        clearly be stated on the CD. I have explained the
        limits of my intended work to the archive I am working
        with currently, and they are requiring I give them a
        specific list of images I will be using on each CD,
        but will give me the licensing of those images for the
        duration of one year - with option to renew - for a
        very reasonable - given this business - lump sum. Had
        I not found an archive willing to work with me, I
        would have trashed the project.

        I will note that many of the images are ones that, if
        you want them for personal use, they are easily
        available online. All I am doing in trying to collect
        them in one place so that comparisons can be made by
        the CD owners. I am making very basic visual surveys
        of art with a particular focus for each CD. I was very
        clear about this with the art organization I am
        working with, and I will be very clear about this with
        my customers.

        Sincerly,
        Leofwynn Marchaunt