Re: The practice of Fostering

  • mary_m_haselbauer
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 20, 2008
      Another book by Barbara Hanawalt you might try is The Ties the Bind:
      Peasant families in medieval England. I'd think that in an agrarian
      economy children's work would be too valuable to a family to send them
      away. Her Medieval London book spent a good bit of time talking about
      apprenticeships which could maybe be a form of fosterage.

      Part of the reason I stopped researching adoption is that record is so
      messy and inconsistant through time and place. I didn't have the time
      to devote to really getting into sources. (I have a good excuse too.
      That's about when my daughter came into my life through adoption.)

      I'm sorry I can't remember more specifics to answer your questions.

      Slaine

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Natalie W." <equigal_99@...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks for this an the other suggestions for documentation.
      >
      > Based on your reading, does fostering occur throughout the classes or
      is it just for nobility?

      > The info in Ireland seems to indicate fostering had a clan tradition
      in medieval Eire, is that right?