Re: Roman resources

  • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 7 1:55 AM
      > If he wants to be a citizen and wants a toga,

      He does want a toga, just for special occasions! We just can't find any
      white wool for less than the cost of a new house :) Ok, I exaggerate.

      Thanks everyone for the book suggestions. The guy WILL like his
      Christmas present this year! He's on the SCA romans list too, but it's
      not right to make him research his own Chrissie pressie.
      :)
      Rosie
    • Jennifer Mackay
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 7 9:56 AM
        Hmm... you can use white linen for summer. Off-white or white works,
        and I believe minimum of 6 yards. I haven't had the chance to read all
        the way through my books yet. (I just got them.) A toga is on my
        project list, too, but one thing at a time! He needed a few more tunics
        for starters. :) He can't sew and I'm it. :)

        Contact Pendleton Woolen Mills. They WILL ship from the outlet store in
        Washougal, WA. They don't have their bolt fabric listed on the
        internet, though. I already asked the gal there if they'd sent bolt-cut
        fabric via mail. The answer was yes, but you need to know what you
        want. If they have it, they'll send it. Sometimes they do have a cream
        wool there. It's soft stuff, like you'd use to make a neck scarf. It's
        not the heavy coating stuff, though.

        They often have summer weight blue wool gabardine that just makes
        lovely garb.

        http://www.pendleton-usa.com

        Go to the store locator page and look for the information for
        Washougal, WA. They should have a phone number, too. Their off the bolt
        prices are anywhere from $3.99/yd to $10 depending on what kind of
        wool.

        Gemma Northwode
        Antir
        Barony of Stromgard
        Vancouver, WA
      • Jennifer Mackay
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 11 2:55 PM
          Here's some more info on togas, and the nice photos ARE from one of
          the books I have--but they're in black and white instead. I think
          it's the Sebesta book. (Never mind the old guy waving his arm--no,
          he's NOT in the books!)

          The cutting diagram is taken from the Wilson book, which is the one I
          mentioned you might want.

          http://www.rotarydistrict7150.org/Toga.htm

          Here's one sited from an older book, one out of print, no doubt, but
          probably helpful if used with other sources.

          http://www.romegiftshop.com/romantoga.html

          This article is well-researched with photos of primary source stuff
          on Roman dress and jewelry.

          http://www.vroma.org/~bmcmanus/clothing.html

          Gemma Northwode
        • Jennifer Mackay
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 11 3:14 PM
            Here's a glossary of Latin terms for colors and clothing that is useful.

            http://www.uky.edu/AS/Classics/jlsgloss.html

            Gemma Northwode
          • Jennifer Mackay
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 12 1:29 PM
              And here's Sebesta's slide show of the stuff mentioned in her book:

              http://www.uky.edu/AS/Classics/slides/selectshow.html

              It's the Norma Goldman one.

              This should help, too.

              Gemma Northwode
            • mamluk
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 20 1:41 PM
                I'm sorry to say I can't point you to any good resources, but I can
                give you an anecdote; at an event several years ago in Meridies a
                group of Roman re-enactors showed up for court in full legion armor
                with their ladies following behind in woolen togas with veils, and all
                of their children wearing togas and tunicas. It was so unexpected and
                brilliantly done, it actually made the hair on the back of my neck
                stand up.

                Nicolas
              • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 21 2:06 AM
                  > I'm sorry to say I can't point you to any good resources, but I can
                  > give you an anecdote; at an event several years ago in Meridies a
                  > group of Roman re-enactors showed up for court in full legion armor
                  > with their ladies following behind in woolen togas with veils, and all
                  > of their children wearing togas and tunicas. It was so unexpected and
                  > brilliantly done, it actually made the hair on the back of my neck
                  > stand up.
                  > Nicolas

                  My lord is doing Roman at the moment, and we've learned that only men
                  wore togas. They're really irritating things, so no one liked to wear
                  them. At one stage the emperor had to make a law to force the senators
                  to dress appropriately! Women wear a tunica or peplos, have the option
                  of a stolla (which they didn't like wearing either) and the obligatory
                  palla. The palla wasn't quite as long as a toga, it seems, but could be
                  worn like one. Mostly women would bring it up to cover their head
                  though, when they were out and about. I think women and children would
                  look a bit funny in togas, but the guys in armour must have looked
                  great!
                  Hope you don't mind my nitpicking, but Roman gear is very serious
                  business around here. My lord has taken to drinking grape juice, a la
                  Roman, and not just at events!
                  :)
                  Rosie
                • Brad Moore
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 21 6:08 AM
                    MODERATOR NOTE - Please sign your posts. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                    Roman is far from my period I do 15th and 16th century, and I am unfamiliar with the proper terms for the garments and can only tell you what they looked like.