Just introducing myself

  • SoldierGrrrl
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2008
      Greetings!

      My husband and I are relatively new to the SCA and are playing early
      11th c. Byzantine, from Cappadocia. We're slowly working toward more
      period, starting with tentage.

      Anyway, just thought I'd drop in and say hello!

      Helena Dalassene

      --
      Blonde. It's not just a hair color; it's a way of life.

      http://soldiergrrrl.livejournal.com/
    • Pete
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2008
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, SoldierGrrrl
        <soldier.grrrl@...> wrote:

        > My husband and I are relatively new to the SCA and are playing early
        > 11th c. Byzantine, from Cappadocia. We're slowly working toward
        more
        > period, starting with tentage.

        Hi there

        Have you seen Tim Dawsons Levantia website ?

        http://www.levantia.com.au/

        A fantastic resourcet by a man who is both an active re-enactor and
        has a PHD in 11thC Byzantine dress.

        Apart from the website, his publications are a goldmine of
        information and practical advice on how to recreate the costume.

        Pete - Guthroth
      • SoldierGrrrl
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2008
          > Have you seen Tim Dawsons Levantia website ?
          >
          > http://www.levantia.com.au/

          We have and I adore his site!

          I've purchased several of his booklets, and other than an annoying
          glitch between my ears regarding the placket construction on the men's
          overtunic, I've been blown away. Ioannes is making noises about new
          boots from that site, as well.

          :-) Haven't gotten up the courage to wear the funky hat, though.

          Helena Dalassene
          --
          Blonde. It's not just a hair color; it's a way of life.

          http://soldiergrrrl.livejournal.com/
        • henrikofhavn
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 10, 2008
            In case you havn't seen this, I just got it from another group I'm in.
            see below.

            Henrik of Havn, West Kingdom.

            ----------------

            NEWSLETTER FOR ARCHAEOLOGICAL TEXTILES. Ulla Mannering of the Centre
            for Textile Research in Copenhagen sends this notice: As of 2008,
            Archaeological Textiles Newsletter (ATN) is being published by the
            newly established Friends of Archaeological Textiles Newsletter and
            edited at the Centre for Textile Research. ATN is a twice-yearly
            publication focusing on textiles found in archaeological contexts
            dating from the prehistoric to the modern age. Geographically, ATN
            concerns itself mainly with the Old World textiles (from Western
            Europe to Japan) but New World textiles may be included if deemed
            relevant. ATN began publication in 1985 to provide a medium for
            discussion, interaction, and exchange of information between
            archaeologists, conservators, historians, art historians, biologists,
            chemists, geologists, and craftspeople who have archaeological
            textiles at the core of their interests. Over the years, ATN has
            moved from an informational service to become an important venue for
            publication of important scientific articles. It also includes notes
            and queries, reviews, resources, and conference and event
            announcements. To subscribe, visit http://www.atnfriends.com . BAYEUX
            TAPESTRY CONFERENCE. The British Museum is sponsoring a conference
            called "The BT@ the BM: New Research on the Bayeux Tapestry" on July
            15-16, 2008. The conference seeks to highlight recent and new
            research on the Tapestry, and to disseminate those findings to a
            wider audience, in the hope of furthering discussion, debate, and the
            sharing of ideas about this unique textile. Conference fee is £10 for
            one day or £15 for both days. For details, contact Dr. Michael Lewis,
            Department of Portable Antiquities & Treasure, British Museum,
            London, WC1B 3DG; e-mail mlewis@... ; tel: (0044)
            020 7323 8611.