Re: Roman resources

  • Jennifer Mackay
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 6, 2008
      http://www.amazon.com/World-Costume-Wisconsin-Studies-
      Classics/dp/0299138542/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?
      ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204830477&sr=8-1

      Amazon.com has paperback copies of the Sebesta book still.

      Gemma Northwode
    • Jennifer Mackay
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 6, 2008
        The book Roman Clothing and Fashion by AT Croom is another really
        good one, which has some nice full color reconstruction photos. It
        also covers clothes throughout early Rome and up to Byzantine.

        http://www.amazon.com/Roman-Clothing-Fashion-T-
        Croom/dp/0752425129/ref=pd_sim_b_title_1

        Amazon.com still carries the paperback, and if he wants to be a
        citizen and wants a toga,

        try:

        The Roman Toga by Lillian May Wilson.

        http://www.amazon.com/Roman-Toga-Lillian-May-
        Wilson/dp/0548121516/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204831657&sr=1-1

        It is a reprint of an old book from the 1920's, which has black and
        white photos of reconstructed togas from different eras. She
        discusses the differences in cut and draping, depending on the era,
        and there are diagrams for pattern layout (useful if you have someone
        who can do drafting to help you). It is a very good resource.

        I have all three of these books myself, and you can still find them.

        Gemma Northwode
      • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
          > If he wants to be a citizen and wants a toga,

          He does want a toga, just for special occasions! We just can't find any
          white wool for less than the cost of a new house :) Ok, I exaggerate.

          Thanks everyone for the book suggestions. The guy WILL like his
          Christmas present this year! He's on the SCA romans list too, but it's
          not right to make him research his own Chrissie pressie.
          :)
          Rosie
        • Jennifer Mackay
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
            Hmm... you can use white linen for summer. Off-white or white works,
            and I believe minimum of 6 yards. I haven't had the chance to read all
            the way through my books yet. (I just got them.) A toga is on my
            project list, too, but one thing at a time! He needed a few more tunics
            for starters. :) He can't sew and I'm it. :)

            Contact Pendleton Woolen Mills. They WILL ship from the outlet store in
            Washougal, WA. They don't have their bolt fabric listed on the
            internet, though. I already asked the gal there if they'd sent bolt-cut
            fabric via mail. The answer was yes, but you need to know what you
            want. If they have it, they'll send it. Sometimes they do have a cream
            wool there. It's soft stuff, like you'd use to make a neck scarf. It's
            not the heavy coating stuff, though.

            They often have summer weight blue wool gabardine that just makes
            lovely garb.

            http://www.pendleton-usa.com

            Go to the store locator page and look for the information for
            Washougal, WA. They should have a phone number, too. Their off the bolt
            prices are anywhere from $3.99/yd to $10 depending on what kind of
            wool.

            Gemma Northwode
            Antir
            Barony of Stromgard
            Vancouver, WA
          • Jennifer Mackay
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 11, 2008
              Here's some more info on togas, and the nice photos ARE from one of
              the books I have--but they're in black and white instead. I think
              it's the Sebesta book. (Never mind the old guy waving his arm--no,
              he's NOT in the books!)

              The cutting diagram is taken from the Wilson book, which is the one I
              mentioned you might want.

              http://www.rotarydistrict7150.org/Toga.htm

              Here's one sited from an older book, one out of print, no doubt, but
              probably helpful if used with other sources.

              http://www.romegiftshop.com/romantoga.html

              This article is well-researched with photos of primary source stuff
              on Roman dress and jewelry.

              http://www.vroma.org/~bmcmanus/clothing.html

              Gemma Northwode
            • Jennifer Mackay
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 11, 2008
                Here's a glossary of Latin terms for colors and clothing that is useful.

                http://www.uky.edu/AS/Classics/jlsgloss.html

                Gemma Northwode
              • Jennifer Mackay
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 12, 2008
                  And here's Sebesta's slide show of the stuff mentioned in her book:

                  http://www.uky.edu/AS/Classics/slides/selectshow.html

                  It's the Norma Goldman one.

                  This should help, too.

                  Gemma Northwode
                • mamluk
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 20, 2008
                    I'm sorry to say I can't point you to any good resources, but I can
                    give you an anecdote; at an event several years ago in Meridies a
                    group of Roman re-enactors showed up for court in full legion armor
                    with their ladies following behind in woolen togas with veils, and all
                    of their children wearing togas and tunicas. It was so unexpected and
                    brilliantly done, it actually made the hair on the back of my neck
                    stand up.

                    Nicolas
                  • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 21, 2008
                      > I'm sorry to say I can't point you to any good resources, but I can
                      > give you an anecdote; at an event several years ago in Meridies a
                      > group of Roman re-enactors showed up for court in full legion armor
                      > with their ladies following behind in woolen togas with veils, and all
                      > of their children wearing togas and tunicas. It was so unexpected and
                      > brilliantly done, it actually made the hair on the back of my neck
                      > stand up.
                      > Nicolas

                      My lord is doing Roman at the moment, and we've learned that only men
                      wore togas. They're really irritating things, so no one liked to wear
                      them. At one stage the emperor had to make a law to force the senators
                      to dress appropriately! Women wear a tunica or peplos, have the option
                      of a stolla (which they didn't like wearing either) and the obligatory
                      palla. The palla wasn't quite as long as a toga, it seems, but could be
                      worn like one. Mostly women would bring it up to cover their head
                      though, when they were out and about. I think women and children would
                      look a bit funny in togas, but the guys in armour must have looked
                      great!
                      Hope you don't mind my nitpicking, but Roman gear is very serious
                      business around here. My lord has taken to drinking grape juice, a la
                      Roman, and not just at events!
                      :)
                      Rosie
                    • Brad Moore
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 21, 2008
                        MODERATOR NOTE - Please sign your posts. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                        Roman is far from my period I do 15th and 16th century, and I am unfamiliar with the proper terms for the garments and can only tell you what they looked like.