Re: [Authentic_SCA] Roman resources

  • Derek Estabrook
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 5, 2008
      MODERATOR NOTE - Please be courteous to the other members of the list and sign your posts so we know with whom we are conversing. Thank you.
      Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

      Try Roman Military Clothing I - 3 by Graham Sumner. 2 covers 200-400 and 3 covers 400 - 640 AD. Very good material by on of the best on the subject.
    • Jennifer Mackay
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 6, 2008
        Sounds like my hubby. He's 1st c. Roman as well, and still developing
        his main persona. (First thing was to get him garb.)

        Check out SCA Romans list for sure--lots of good info there, and I did
        find the book the other person mentioned, and it is excellent.

        Gemma Northwode
        (whose 2nd persona is a Roman lady during the summer months)
      • Jennifer Mackay
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 6, 2008
          http://www.amazon.com/World-Costume-Wisconsin-Studies-
          Classics/dp/0299138542/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?
          ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204830477&sr=8-1

          Amazon.com has paperback copies of the Sebesta book still.

          Gemma Northwode
        • Jennifer Mackay
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 6, 2008
            The book Roman Clothing and Fashion by AT Croom is another really
            good one, which has some nice full color reconstruction photos. It
            also covers clothes throughout early Rome and up to Byzantine.

            http://www.amazon.com/Roman-Clothing-Fashion-T-
            Croom/dp/0752425129/ref=pd_sim_b_title_1

            Amazon.com still carries the paperback, and if he wants to be a
            citizen and wants a toga,

            try:

            The Roman Toga by Lillian May Wilson.

            http://www.amazon.com/Roman-Toga-Lillian-May-
            Wilson/dp/0548121516/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204831657&sr=1-1

            It is a reprint of an old book from the 1920's, which has black and
            white photos of reconstructed togas from different eras. She
            discusses the differences in cut and draping, depending on the era,
            and there are diagrams for pattern layout (useful if you have someone
            who can do drafting to help you). It is a very good resource.

            I have all three of these books myself, and you can still find them.

            Gemma Northwode
          • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
              > If he wants to be a citizen and wants a toga,

              He does want a toga, just for special occasions! We just can't find any
              white wool for less than the cost of a new house :) Ok, I exaggerate.

              Thanks everyone for the book suggestions. The guy WILL like his
              Christmas present this year! He's on the SCA romans list too, but it's
              not right to make him research his own Chrissie pressie.
              :)
              Rosie
            • Jennifer Mackay
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                Hmm... you can use white linen for summer. Off-white or white works,
                and I believe minimum of 6 yards. I haven't had the chance to read all
                the way through my books yet. (I just got them.) A toga is on my
                project list, too, but one thing at a time! He needed a few more tunics
                for starters. :) He can't sew and I'm it. :)

                Contact Pendleton Woolen Mills. They WILL ship from the outlet store in
                Washougal, WA. They don't have their bolt fabric listed on the
                internet, though. I already asked the gal there if they'd sent bolt-cut
                fabric via mail. The answer was yes, but you need to know what you
                want. If they have it, they'll send it. Sometimes they do have a cream
                wool there. It's soft stuff, like you'd use to make a neck scarf. It's
                not the heavy coating stuff, though.

                They often have summer weight blue wool gabardine that just makes
                lovely garb.

                http://www.pendleton-usa.com

                Go to the store locator page and look for the information for
                Washougal, WA. They should have a phone number, too. Their off the bolt
                prices are anywhere from $3.99/yd to $10 depending on what kind of
                wool.

                Gemma Northwode
                Antir
                Barony of Stromgard
                Vancouver, WA
              • Jennifer Mackay
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 11, 2008
                  Here's some more info on togas, and the nice photos ARE from one of
                  the books I have--but they're in black and white instead. I think
                  it's the Sebesta book. (Never mind the old guy waving his arm--no,
                  he's NOT in the books!)

                  The cutting diagram is taken from the Wilson book, which is the one I
                  mentioned you might want.

                  http://www.rotarydistrict7150.org/Toga.htm

                  Here's one sited from an older book, one out of print, no doubt, but
                  probably helpful if used with other sources.

                  http://www.romegiftshop.com/romantoga.html

                  This article is well-researched with photos of primary source stuff
                  on Roman dress and jewelry.

                  http://www.vroma.org/~bmcmanus/clothing.html

                  Gemma Northwode
                • Jennifer Mackay
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 11, 2008
                    Here's a glossary of Latin terms for colors and clothing that is useful.

                    http://www.uky.edu/AS/Classics/jlsgloss.html

                    Gemma Northwode
                  • Jennifer Mackay
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 12, 2008
                      And here's Sebesta's slide show of the stuff mentioned in her book:

                      http://www.uky.edu/AS/Classics/slides/selectshow.html

                      It's the Norma Goldman one.

                      This should help, too.

                      Gemma Northwode
                    • mamluk
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 20, 2008
                        I'm sorry to say I can't point you to any good resources, but I can
                        give you an anecdote; at an event several years ago in Meridies a
                        group of Roman re-enactors showed up for court in full legion armor
                        with their ladies following behind in woolen togas with veils, and all
                        of their children wearing togas and tunicas. It was so unexpected and
                        brilliantly done, it actually made the hair on the back of my neck
                        stand up.

                        Nicolas
                      • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 21, 2008
                          > I'm sorry to say I can't point you to any good resources, but I can
                          > give you an anecdote; at an event several years ago in Meridies a
                          > group of Roman re-enactors showed up for court in full legion armor
                          > with their ladies following behind in woolen togas with veils, and all
                          > of their children wearing togas and tunicas. It was so unexpected and
                          > brilliantly done, it actually made the hair on the back of my neck
                          > stand up.
                          > Nicolas

                          My lord is doing Roman at the moment, and we've learned that only men
                          wore togas. They're really irritating things, so no one liked to wear
                          them. At one stage the emperor had to make a law to force the senators
                          to dress appropriately! Women wear a tunica or peplos, have the option
                          of a stolla (which they didn't like wearing either) and the obligatory
                          palla. The palla wasn't quite as long as a toga, it seems, but could be
                          worn like one. Mostly women would bring it up to cover their head
                          though, when they were out and about. I think women and children would
                          look a bit funny in togas, but the guys in armour must have looked
                          great!
                          Hope you don't mind my nitpicking, but Roman gear is very serious
                          business around here. My lord has taken to drinking grape juice, a la
                          Roman, and not just at events!
                          :)
                          Rosie
                        • Brad Moore
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 21, 2008
                            MODERATOR NOTE - Please sign your posts. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                            Roman is far from my period I do 15th and 16th century, and I am unfamiliar with the proper terms for the garments and can only tell you what they looked like.