Re: [Authentic_SCA] Roman resources

  • Adam MacDonald
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 4, 2008
      Rosie asks

      > Hey Everyone,
      > My lord has decided on a Roman persona. What would you say are the
      > absolute MUST have books? Are there any that I should avoid? I'm hoping
      > to get a Christmas present that he'll actually like this year...
      > :)

      Rosie -

      Here's the important question - What KIND of Roman?

      Republican, Imperial, Late (post-Imperial expansion), Byzantine? A little
      clarification so we know where to point you would be a great thing.

      Here's a link to my (non-SCA) Imperial; reenactment group's website - we
      'do' late 1st century AD (95 AD) http://legio-ix-hispana.org/

      Please feel free to ask questions - since most of the questions here on the
      list fall outside areas of my expertise

      Sasha
      AKA
      M. Scithius Antiochus (when he's off playing Roman)
    • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 4, 2008
        > Here's the important question - What KIND of Roman?

        He seems keen on the first century Romans; Rome rather than Byzantium.
        He says he wants to get a Roman style kit together for combat, both
        archery and heavy. He says his persona is an underwear merchant, but
        I'm not sure if he's joking about that :)
        Best I can do really, it's hard to tell what is planning and what is
        pondering with him.
        :)
        Rosie
      • Samia al-Kaslaania
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 4, 2008
          A very good basic to have in the collection is _The World of Roman
          Costume_ by Sebesta and Bonfante. It's about $30-45.

          There is an SCA_romans list in Yahoo! Groups that has discussed this
          once in while, the archives will be a great resource to getting you
          further in your search. :)

          Samia in Northshield
        • Derek Estabrook
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 5, 2008
            MODERATOR NOTE - Please be courteous to the other members of the list and sign your posts so we know with whom we are conversing. Thank you.
            Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

            Try Roman Military Clothing I - 3 by Graham Sumner. 2 covers 200-400 and 3 covers 400 - 640 AD. Very good material by on of the best on the subject.
          • Jennifer Mackay
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 6, 2008
              Sounds like my hubby. He's 1st c. Roman as well, and still developing
              his main persona. (First thing was to get him garb.)

              Check out SCA Romans list for sure--lots of good info there, and I did
              find the book the other person mentioned, and it is excellent.

              Gemma Northwode
              (whose 2nd persona is a Roman lady during the summer months)
            • Jennifer Mackay
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 6, 2008
                http://www.amazon.com/World-Costume-Wisconsin-Studies-
                Classics/dp/0299138542/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?
                ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204830477&sr=8-1

                Amazon.com has paperback copies of the Sebesta book still.

                Gemma Northwode
              • Jennifer Mackay
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 6, 2008
                  The book Roman Clothing and Fashion by AT Croom is another really
                  good one, which has some nice full color reconstruction photos. It
                  also covers clothes throughout early Rome and up to Byzantine.

                  http://www.amazon.com/Roman-Clothing-Fashion-T-
                  Croom/dp/0752425129/ref=pd_sim_b_title_1

                  Amazon.com still carries the paperback, and if he wants to be a
                  citizen and wants a toga,

                  try:

                  The Roman Toga by Lillian May Wilson.

                  http://www.amazon.com/Roman-Toga-Lillian-May-
                  Wilson/dp/0548121516/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204831657&sr=1-1

                  It is a reprint of an old book from the 1920's, which has black and
                  white photos of reconstructed togas from different eras. She
                  discusses the differences in cut and draping, depending on the era,
                  and there are diagrams for pattern layout (useful if you have someone
                  who can do drafting to help you). It is a very good resource.

                  I have all three of these books myself, and you can still find them.

                  Gemma Northwode
                • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                    > If he wants to be a citizen and wants a toga,

                    He does want a toga, just for special occasions! We just can't find any
                    white wool for less than the cost of a new house :) Ok, I exaggerate.

                    Thanks everyone for the book suggestions. The guy WILL like his
                    Christmas present this year! He's on the SCA romans list too, but it's
                    not right to make him research his own Chrissie pressie.
                    :)
                    Rosie
                  • Jennifer Mackay
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                      Hmm... you can use white linen for summer. Off-white or white works,
                      and I believe minimum of 6 yards. I haven't had the chance to read all
                      the way through my books yet. (I just got them.) A toga is on my
                      project list, too, but one thing at a time! He needed a few more tunics
                      for starters. :) He can't sew and I'm it. :)

                      Contact Pendleton Woolen Mills. They WILL ship from the outlet store in
                      Washougal, WA. They don't have their bolt fabric listed on the
                      internet, though. I already asked the gal there if they'd sent bolt-cut
                      fabric via mail. The answer was yes, but you need to know what you
                      want. If they have it, they'll send it. Sometimes they do have a cream
                      wool there. It's soft stuff, like you'd use to make a neck scarf. It's
                      not the heavy coating stuff, though.

                      They often have summer weight blue wool gabardine that just makes
                      lovely garb.

                      http://www.pendleton-usa.com

                      Go to the store locator page and look for the information for
                      Washougal, WA. They should have a phone number, too. Their off the bolt
                      prices are anywhere from $3.99/yd to $10 depending on what kind of
                      wool.

                      Gemma Northwode
                      Antir
                      Barony of Stromgard
                      Vancouver, WA
                    • Jennifer Mackay
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 11, 2008
                        Here's some more info on togas, and the nice photos ARE from one of
                        the books I have--but they're in black and white instead. I think
                        it's the Sebesta book. (Never mind the old guy waving his arm--no,
                        he's NOT in the books!)

                        The cutting diagram is taken from the Wilson book, which is the one I
                        mentioned you might want.

                        http://www.rotarydistrict7150.org/Toga.htm

                        Here's one sited from an older book, one out of print, no doubt, but
                        probably helpful if used with other sources.

                        http://www.romegiftshop.com/romantoga.html

                        This article is well-researched with photos of primary source stuff
                        on Roman dress and jewelry.

                        http://www.vroma.org/~bmcmanus/clothing.html

                        Gemma Northwode
                      • Jennifer Mackay
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 11, 2008
                          Here's a glossary of Latin terms for colors and clothing that is useful.

                          http://www.uky.edu/AS/Classics/jlsgloss.html

                          Gemma Northwode
                        • Jennifer Mackay
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 12, 2008
                            And here's Sebesta's slide show of the stuff mentioned in her book:

                            http://www.uky.edu/AS/Classics/slides/selectshow.html

                            It's the Norma Goldman one.

                            This should help, too.

                            Gemma Northwode
                          • mamluk
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 20, 2008
                              I'm sorry to say I can't point you to any good resources, but I can
                              give you an anecdote; at an event several years ago in Meridies a
                              group of Roman re-enactors showed up for court in full legion armor
                              with their ladies following behind in woolen togas with veils, and all
                              of their children wearing togas and tunicas. It was so unexpected and
                              brilliantly done, it actually made the hair on the back of my neck
                              stand up.

                              Nicolas
                            • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 21, 2008
                                > I'm sorry to say I can't point you to any good resources, but I can
                                > give you an anecdote; at an event several years ago in Meridies a
                                > group of Roman re-enactors showed up for court in full legion armor
                                > with their ladies following behind in woolen togas with veils, and all
                                > of their children wearing togas and tunicas. It was so unexpected and
                                > brilliantly done, it actually made the hair on the back of my neck
                                > stand up.
                                > Nicolas

                                My lord is doing Roman at the moment, and we've learned that only men
                                wore togas. They're really irritating things, so no one liked to wear
                                them. At one stage the emperor had to make a law to force the senators
                                to dress appropriately! Women wear a tunica or peplos, have the option
                                of a stolla (which they didn't like wearing either) and the obligatory
                                palla. The palla wasn't quite as long as a toga, it seems, but could be
                                worn like one. Mostly women would bring it up to cover their head
                                though, when they were out and about. I think women and children would
                                look a bit funny in togas, but the guys in armour must have looked
                                great!
                                Hope you don't mind my nitpicking, but Roman gear is very serious
                                business around here. My lord has taken to drinking grape juice, a la
                                Roman, and not just at events!
                                :)
                                Rosie
                              • Brad Moore
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 21, 2008
                                  MODERATOR NOTE - Please sign your posts. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                                  Roman is far from my period I do 15th and 16th century, and I am unfamiliar with the proper terms for the garments and can only tell you what they looked like.