Roman resources

  • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 4, 2008
      Hey Everyone,
      My lord has decided on a Roman persona. What would you say are the
      absolute MUST have books? Are there any that I should avoid? I'm hoping
      to get a Christmas present that he'll actually like this year...
      :)
      Rosie- Hoping she can get a Christmas present
    • Adam MacDonald
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 4, 2008
        Rosie asks

        > Hey Everyone,
        > My lord has decided on a Roman persona. What would you say are the
        > absolute MUST have books? Are there any that I should avoid? I'm hoping
        > to get a Christmas present that he'll actually like this year...
        > :)

        Rosie -

        Here's the important question - What KIND of Roman?

        Republican, Imperial, Late (post-Imperial expansion), Byzantine? A little
        clarification so we know where to point you would be a great thing.

        Here's a link to my (non-SCA) Imperial; reenactment group's website - we
        'do' late 1st century AD (95 AD) http://legio-ix-hispana.org/

        Please feel free to ask questions - since most of the questions here on the
        list fall outside areas of my expertise

        Sasha
        AKA
        M. Scithius Antiochus (when he's off playing Roman)
      • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 4, 2008
          > Here's the important question - What KIND of Roman?

          He seems keen on the first century Romans; Rome rather than Byzantium.
          He says he wants to get a Roman style kit together for combat, both
          archery and heavy. He says his persona is an underwear merchant, but
          I'm not sure if he's joking about that :)
          Best I can do really, it's hard to tell what is planning and what is
          pondering with him.
          :)
          Rosie
        • Samia al-Kaslaania
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 4, 2008
            A very good basic to have in the collection is _The World of Roman
            Costume_ by Sebesta and Bonfante. It's about $30-45.

            There is an SCA_romans list in Yahoo! Groups that has discussed this
            once in while, the archives will be a great resource to getting you
            further in your search. :)

            Samia in Northshield
          • Derek Estabrook
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 5, 2008
              MODERATOR NOTE - Please be courteous to the other members of the list and sign your posts so we know with whom we are conversing. Thank you.
              Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

              Try Roman Military Clothing I - 3 by Graham Sumner. 2 covers 200-400 and 3 covers 400 - 640 AD. Very good material by on of the best on the subject.
            • Jennifer Mackay
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 6, 2008
                Sounds like my hubby. He's 1st c. Roman as well, and still developing
                his main persona. (First thing was to get him garb.)

                Check out SCA Romans list for sure--lots of good info there, and I did
                find the book the other person mentioned, and it is excellent.

                Gemma Northwode
                (whose 2nd persona is a Roman lady during the summer months)
              • Jennifer Mackay
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 6, 2008
                  http://www.amazon.com/World-Costume-Wisconsin-Studies-
                  Classics/dp/0299138542/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?
                  ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204830477&sr=8-1

                  Amazon.com has paperback copies of the Sebesta book still.

                  Gemma Northwode
                • Jennifer Mackay
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 6, 2008
                    The book Roman Clothing and Fashion by AT Croom is another really
                    good one, which has some nice full color reconstruction photos. It
                    also covers clothes throughout early Rome and up to Byzantine.

                    http://www.amazon.com/Roman-Clothing-Fashion-T-
                    Croom/dp/0752425129/ref=pd_sim_b_title_1

                    Amazon.com still carries the paperback, and if he wants to be a
                    citizen and wants a toga,

                    try:

                    The Roman Toga by Lillian May Wilson.

                    http://www.amazon.com/Roman-Toga-Lillian-May-
                    Wilson/dp/0548121516/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204831657&sr=1-1

                    It is a reprint of an old book from the 1920's, which has black and
                    white photos of reconstructed togas from different eras. She
                    discusses the differences in cut and draping, depending on the era,
                    and there are diagrams for pattern layout (useful if you have someone
                    who can do drafting to help you). It is a very good resource.

                    I have all three of these books myself, and you can still find them.

                    Gemma Northwode
                  • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                      > If he wants to be a citizen and wants a toga,

                      He does want a toga, just for special occasions! We just can't find any
                      white wool for less than the cost of a new house :) Ok, I exaggerate.

                      Thanks everyone for the book suggestions. The guy WILL like his
                      Christmas present this year! He's on the SCA romans list too, but it's
                      not right to make him research his own Chrissie pressie.
                      :)
                      Rosie
                    • Jennifer Mackay
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 7, 2008
                        Hmm... you can use white linen for summer. Off-white or white works,
                        and I believe minimum of 6 yards. I haven't had the chance to read all
                        the way through my books yet. (I just got them.) A toga is on my
                        project list, too, but one thing at a time! He needed a few more tunics
                        for starters. :) He can't sew and I'm it. :)

                        Contact Pendleton Woolen Mills. They WILL ship from the outlet store in
                        Washougal, WA. They don't have their bolt fabric listed on the
                        internet, though. I already asked the gal there if they'd sent bolt-cut
                        fabric via mail. The answer was yes, but you need to know what you
                        want. If they have it, they'll send it. Sometimes they do have a cream
                        wool there. It's soft stuff, like you'd use to make a neck scarf. It's
                        not the heavy coating stuff, though.

                        They often have summer weight blue wool gabardine that just makes
                        lovely garb.

                        http://www.pendleton-usa.com

                        Go to the store locator page and look for the information for
                        Washougal, WA. They should have a phone number, too. Their off the bolt
                        prices are anywhere from $3.99/yd to $10 depending on what kind of
                        wool.

                        Gemma Northwode
                        Antir
                        Barony of Stromgard
                        Vancouver, WA
                      • Jennifer Mackay
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 11, 2008
                          Here's some more info on togas, and the nice photos ARE from one of
                          the books I have--but they're in black and white instead. I think
                          it's the Sebesta book. (Never mind the old guy waving his arm--no,
                          he's NOT in the books!)

                          The cutting diagram is taken from the Wilson book, which is the one I
                          mentioned you might want.

                          http://www.rotarydistrict7150.org/Toga.htm

                          Here's one sited from an older book, one out of print, no doubt, but
                          probably helpful if used with other sources.

                          http://www.romegiftshop.com/romantoga.html

                          This article is well-researched with photos of primary source stuff
                          on Roman dress and jewelry.

                          http://www.vroma.org/~bmcmanus/clothing.html

                          Gemma Northwode
                        • Jennifer Mackay
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 11, 2008
                            Here's a glossary of Latin terms for colors and clothing that is useful.

                            http://www.uky.edu/AS/Classics/jlsgloss.html

                            Gemma Northwode
                          • Jennifer Mackay
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 12, 2008
                              And here's Sebesta's slide show of the stuff mentioned in her book:

                              http://www.uky.edu/AS/Classics/slides/selectshow.html

                              It's the Norma Goldman one.

                              This should help, too.

                              Gemma Northwode
                            • mamluk
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 20, 2008
                                I'm sorry to say I can't point you to any good resources, but I can
                                give you an anecdote; at an event several years ago in Meridies a
                                group of Roman re-enactors showed up for court in full legion armor
                                with their ladies following behind in woolen togas with veils, and all
                                of their children wearing togas and tunicas. It was so unexpected and
                                brilliantly done, it actually made the hair on the back of my neck
                                stand up.

                                Nicolas
                              • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 21, 2008
                                  > I'm sorry to say I can't point you to any good resources, but I can
                                  > give you an anecdote; at an event several years ago in Meridies a
                                  > group of Roman re-enactors showed up for court in full legion armor
                                  > with their ladies following behind in woolen togas with veils, and all
                                  > of their children wearing togas and tunicas. It was so unexpected and
                                  > brilliantly done, it actually made the hair on the back of my neck
                                  > stand up.
                                  > Nicolas

                                  My lord is doing Roman at the moment, and we've learned that only men
                                  wore togas. They're really irritating things, so no one liked to wear
                                  them. At one stage the emperor had to make a law to force the senators
                                  to dress appropriately! Women wear a tunica or peplos, have the option
                                  of a stolla (which they didn't like wearing either) and the obligatory
                                  palla. The palla wasn't quite as long as a toga, it seems, but could be
                                  worn like one. Mostly women would bring it up to cover their head
                                  though, when they were out and about. I think women and children would
                                  look a bit funny in togas, but the guys in armour must have looked
                                  great!
                                  Hope you don't mind my nitpicking, but Roman gear is very serious
                                  business around here. My lord has taken to drinking grape juice, a la
                                  Roman, and not just at events!
                                  :)
                                  Rosie
                                • Brad Moore
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 21, 2008
                                    MODERATOR NOTE - Please sign your posts. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                                    Roman is far from my period I do 15th and 16th century, and I am unfamiliar with the proper terms for the garments and can only tell you what they looked like.