Magna Carta on Display

  • Folo Watkins
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2008
      This came over Revlist; I hadn't seen it mentioned on any more
      relevant list:
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/03/AR2008030302422.html?referrer=emailarticle

      Cheers, Folo
    • sue_clemenger
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 9, 2008
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Folo Watkins <folo@...> wrote:

        > This came over Revlist; I hadn't seen it mentioned on any more
        > relevant list:
        > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-
        dyn/content/article/2008/03/03/AR2008030302422.html?
        referrer=emailarticle

        I saw the extant Magna Carta copy at Salisbury when I was there in
        2002. Definitely an "ooooh!" factor in seeing something *that* old!
        The calligraphy was surprisingly tiny and even--more than anything, it
        reminded me of a kind of type-face. Which I supposed suited its
        purpose, since it was a legal document.
        Always thought it would be cool to have a peerage or award scroll done
        that way....
        --Maire
      • jtstewart@westnet.com.au
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2008
          In the Australian Parliament House there is a 1297 copy of the Magna
          Carta by Edward I on permanent display.
          Just like the one sold the other day.
          See
          http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/cutprice-parchment/2006/01/03/1136
          050442558.html For a photo of the Australian one. And
          http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/pubs/occa_lect/flyers/171097.htm For
          more details.

          The Magna Carta is a live document in Australia and is still
          occasionally called upon in our courts.
          Whenever I am in the Parliament House (maybe once or twice a year) I
          make a point of visiting it.
          So if you happen to be visiting Politarchopolis in the Kingdom of
          Lochac make sure you stop by and see it.
          Cheers
          John of the Hills