Re: table carpet

  • oisswafford
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3, 2008
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Kammy" <klchinnock@...> wrote:

      > I have a question dealing with table carpets, how big were they?
      Did they
      > just fit the top of the table, or did they hang over the sides like
      table
      > cloths?
      >
      > Also, what types of designs were used? Were they geometric
      designs? Or the
      > floral types that we think of in Turkish carpets today? Would it
      have been
      > feasible for a Scottish household to have table carpets that were
      panels of
      > knotwork?
      >
      > Any help or pointers to books would be helpful.
      >
      > In Service to the Dream;
      >
      > Anne Cameron
      >
      > . . . when are you going to understand that being normal is not a
      virtue, it
      > rather denotes a lack of courage. -- Aunt Franny, Practical Magic

      Wow, I had no idea so many people would be interested. Here are some
      links I could find - they are mostly images. The info I could find
      about how they were made mostly covered tent stitch, there was only
      one or two sources that talked about turkey stitch.

      http://www.sca.org.au/pipermail/wcob/2003-October/002217.html - info
      on the Lochac carpet and links about half way down

      http://www.geocities.com/keridwenthemouse/rowanycarpet.htm - info
      about the Rowany Carpet done in Lochac

      http://www.bayrose.org/wkneedle/Articles/Canvaswork1.html - info on
      how to do turkey work and bibliography for the book I first found
      mention of the carpets in: Elizabethan Treasures: The Hardwick Hall
      Textiles

      I'm sure Arlys has more documentation but that may get you started.
      It's what got me started.

      YIS
      Gwenlliana
    • Cynthia J Ley
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 3, 2008
        I hunted in a lot of places--basically every embroidery book I could lay
        my little paws on. Most useful was John L. Nevinson's _Catalogue of
        English Domestic Embroidery of the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries_.
        London: Victoria and Albert department of Textiles, 1938; Chapter I.

        Some books to look for:

        Beck, Thomasina. The Embroiderer's Story, 1995.
        Benn, Elizabeth, ed. Treasures From the Embroiderer's Guild Collection,
        1991.
        Christie, Grace. Embroidery and Tapestry Weaving, 1928.
        Digby, George Wingfield. Elizabethan Embroidery, 1963.
        Jourdain, M. History of English Secular Embroider, 1912.
        Swain, Margaret. Scottish Embroidery: Medieval to Modern.

        Search engines: Google is your friend.

        Arlys