Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: table carpet

  • Katherine Throckmorton
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3, 2008
      On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 5:10 PM, Cynthia J Ley <cley@...> wrote:

      > The Bradford shows various hunting and fishing scenes, with a pretty
      > architectual rail across the top and bottom edges. Check under Victoria
      > and Albert Museum, images, catalog #T.31-1914. The V&A is also pretty
      > good about giving dimensions. This particular piece has a marked slant to
      > it, probably generated by the fact that it's worked entirely in tent
      > stitch, which is slanted.
      >
      > It's my general impression that they were placed on tabletops with no
      > overhanging bits. They were an exercise in status, and what good are
      > status symbols if folks can't ooo and ahh over them? 8-)
      >
      > Arlys (I know, dig up those sources already!) ;-)
      >
      > On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 14:47:39 -0700 "Kammy" <klchinnock@...<klchinnock%40comcast.net>
      > >
      > writes:
      >
      > > I have a question dealing with table carpets, how big were they? Did
      > > they
      > > just fit the top of the table, or did they hang over the sides like
      > > table
      > > cloths?
      > >
      > > Also, what types of designs were used? Were they geometric designs?
      > > Or the
      > > floral types that we think of in Turkish carpets today? Would it
      > > have been
      > > feasible for a Scottish household to have table carpets that were
      > > panels of
      > > knotwork?
      > >
      > > Any help or pointers to books would be helpful.
      > >
      > > In Service to the Dream;
      > >
      > > Anne Cameron
      > >
      > > . . . when are you going to understand that being normal is not a
      > > virtue, it
      > > rather denotes a lack of courage. -- Aunt Franny, Practical Magic

    • oisswafford
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 3, 2008
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Kammy" <klchinnock@...> wrote:

        > I have a question dealing with table carpets, how big were they?
        Did they
        > just fit the top of the table, or did they hang over the sides like
        table
        > cloths?
        >
        > Also, what types of designs were used? Were they geometric
        designs? Or the
        > floral types that we think of in Turkish carpets today? Would it
        have been
        > feasible for a Scottish household to have table carpets that were
        panels of
        > knotwork?
        >
        > Any help or pointers to books would be helpful.
        >
        > In Service to the Dream;
        >
        > Anne Cameron
        >
        > . . . when are you going to understand that being normal is not a
        virtue, it
        > rather denotes a lack of courage. -- Aunt Franny, Practical Magic

        Wow, I had no idea so many people would be interested. Here are some
        links I could find - they are mostly images. The info I could find
        about how they were made mostly covered tent stitch, there was only
        one or two sources that talked about turkey stitch.

        http://www.sca.org.au/pipermail/wcob/2003-October/002217.html - info
        on the Lochac carpet and links about half way down

        http://www.geocities.com/keridwenthemouse/rowanycarpet.htm - info
        about the Rowany Carpet done in Lochac

        http://www.bayrose.org/wkneedle/Articles/Canvaswork1.html - info on
        how to do turkey work and bibliography for the book I first found
        mention of the carpets in: Elizabethan Treasures: The Hardwick Hall
        Textiles

        I'm sure Arlys has more documentation but that may get you started.
        It's what got me started.

        YIS
        Gwenlliana
      • Cynthia J Ley
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2008
          I hunted in a lot of places--basically every embroidery book I could lay
          my little paws on. Most useful was John L. Nevinson's _Catalogue of
          English Domestic Embroidery of the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries_.
          London: Victoria and Albert department of Textiles, 1938; Chapter I.

          Some books to look for:

          Beck, Thomasina. The Embroiderer's Story, 1995.
          Benn, Elizabeth, ed. Treasures From the Embroiderer's Guild Collection,
          1991.
          Christie, Grace. Embroidery and Tapestry Weaving, 1928.
          Digby, George Wingfield. Elizabethan Embroidery, 1963.
          Jourdain, M. History of English Secular Embroider, 1912.
          Swain, Margaret. Scottish Embroidery: Medieval to Modern.

          Search engines: Google is your friend.

          Arlys