Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: table carpet

  • Cynthia J Ley
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3, 2008
      The Bradford shows various hunting and fishing scenes, with a pretty
      architectual rail across the top and bottom edges. Check under Victoria
      and Albert Museum, images, catalog #T.31-1914. The V&A is also pretty
      good about giving dimensions. This particular piece has a marked slant to
      it, probably generated by the fact that it's worked entirely in tent
      stitch, which is slanted.

      It's my general impression that they were placed on tabletops with no
      overhanging bits. They were an exercise in status, and what good are
      status symbols if folks can't ooo and ahh over them? 8-)

      Arlys (I know, dig up those sources already!) ;-)

      On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 14:47:39 -0700 "Kammy" <klchinnock@...>
      writes:
      > I have a question dealing with table carpets, how big were they? Did
      > they
      > just fit the top of the table, or did they hang over the sides like
      > table
      > cloths?
      >
      > Also, what types of designs were used? Were they geometric designs?
      > Or the
      > floral types that we think of in Turkish carpets today? Would it
      > have been
      > feasible for a Scottish household to have table carpets that were
      > panels of
      > knotwork?
      >
      > Any help or pointers to books would be helpful.
      >
      > In Service to the Dream;
      >
      > Anne Cameron
      >
      > . . . when are you going to understand that being normal is not a
      > virtue, it
      > rather denotes a lack of courage. -- Aunt Franny, Practical Magic

    • Katherine Throckmorton
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 3, 2008
        On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 5:10 PM, Cynthia J Ley <cley@...> wrote:

        > The Bradford shows various hunting and fishing scenes, with a pretty
        > architectual rail across the top and bottom edges. Check under Victoria
        > and Albert Museum, images, catalog #T.31-1914. The V&A is also pretty
        > good about giving dimensions. This particular piece has a marked slant to
        > it, probably generated by the fact that it's worked entirely in tent
        > stitch, which is slanted.
        >
        > It's my general impression that they were placed on tabletops with no
        > overhanging bits. They were an exercise in status, and what good are
        > status symbols if folks can't ooo and ahh over them? 8-)
        >
        > Arlys (I know, dig up those sources already!) ;-)
        >
        > On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 14:47:39 -0700 "Kammy" <klchinnock@...<klchinnock%40comcast.net>
        > >
        > writes:
        >
        > > I have a question dealing with table carpets, how big were they? Did
        > > they
        > > just fit the top of the table, or did they hang over the sides like
        > > table
        > > cloths?
        > >
        > > Also, what types of designs were used? Were they geometric designs?
        > > Or the
        > > floral types that we think of in Turkish carpets today? Would it
        > > have been
        > > feasible for a Scottish household to have table carpets that were
        > > panels of
        > > knotwork?
        > >
        > > Any help or pointers to books would be helpful.
        > >
        > > In Service to the Dream;
        > >
        > > Anne Cameron
        > >
        > > . . . when are you going to understand that being normal is not a
        > > virtue, it
        > > rather denotes a lack of courage. -- Aunt Franny, Practical Magic

      • oisswafford
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2008
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Kammy" <klchinnock@...> wrote:

          > I have a question dealing with table carpets, how big were they?
          Did they
          > just fit the top of the table, or did they hang over the sides like
          table
          > cloths?
          >
          > Also, what types of designs were used? Were they geometric
          designs? Or the
          > floral types that we think of in Turkish carpets today? Would it
          have been
          > feasible for a Scottish household to have table carpets that were
          panels of
          > knotwork?
          >
          > Any help or pointers to books would be helpful.
          >
          > In Service to the Dream;
          >
          > Anne Cameron
          >
          > . . . when are you going to understand that being normal is not a
          virtue, it
          > rather denotes a lack of courage. -- Aunt Franny, Practical Magic

          Wow, I had no idea so many people would be interested. Here are some
          links I could find - they are mostly images. The info I could find
          about how they were made mostly covered tent stitch, there was only
          one or two sources that talked about turkey stitch.

          http://www.sca.org.au/pipermail/wcob/2003-October/002217.html - info
          on the Lochac carpet and links about half way down

          http://www.geocities.com/keridwenthemouse/rowanycarpet.htm - info
          about the Rowany Carpet done in Lochac

          http://www.bayrose.org/wkneedle/Articles/Canvaswork1.html - info on
          how to do turkey work and bibliography for the book I first found
          mention of the carpets in: Elizabethan Treasures: The Hardwick Hall
          Textiles

          I'm sure Arlys has more documentation but that may get you started.
          It's what got me started.

          YIS
          Gwenlliana
        • Cynthia J Ley
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2008
            I hunted in a lot of places--basically every embroidery book I could lay
            my little paws on. Most useful was John L. Nevinson's _Catalogue of
            English Domestic Embroidery of the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries_.
            London: Victoria and Albert department of Textiles, 1938; Chapter I.

            Some books to look for:

            Beck, Thomasina. The Embroiderer's Story, 1995.
            Benn, Elizabeth, ed. Treasures From the Embroiderer's Guild Collection,
            1991.
            Christie, Grace. Embroidery and Tapestry Weaving, 1928.
            Digby, George Wingfield. Elizabethan Embroidery, 1963.
            Jourdain, M. History of English Secular Embroider, 1912.
            Swain, Margaret. Scottish Embroidery: Medieval to Modern.

            Search engines: Google is your friend.

            Arlys