Religious orders and oblates

  • quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2008
      I do apologise if I stir up the 'persona and religion' thread that
      just quietened down, but I'm curious about people who portray members
      of religious orders, how other people feel about that, and where an
      oblate person attached to a congregation would fit in.

      Oblates were not people who took vows and are laypeople who might live
      with an order and wear a modified habit. For more information this
      website explains it a lot better than I can:
      http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11188a.htm

      It seems that the oblates were able to leave at any time, and may be a
      plausible reason why you could come across an otherwise cloistered nun
      or monk at an SCA event, if they had just left their order and were
      travelling home. Would anyone knowing more about medieval religious
      orders be able to shed some light? Would this scenario be possible, or
      would an oblate always have a spare secular outfit handy?

      I'm curious about people portraying members of orders as a whole, how
      others perceive it, and how you manage to explain why you're at an SCA
      event instead of staying inside a cloister. (An exception would be
      medicant orders I suppose.)

      Hope no-one takes offence at these questions!
      ~Asfridhr