Re: Bookbinder sought.

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
      bec_tonkin <bec_tonkin@...> wrote:
      Hello!
      You found something! May I know where you got it from?

      Also, you could consider covering the modern cover with a slip-on or
      sewn-on leather cover. This would mean that the current binding need
      not be disturbed, and would probably be something you could do yourself.
      Or, you could look in your local phone directory for book binders, we
      have then here (in Australia) and they do small tasks such as thesis
      binding etc, so there are probably some around somewhere willing to do
      a small job.
      Good luck,
      Rebecca

      RESPONSE

      Rebecca,
      we live in a tiny island just off the French Coast, and so far as I know, there isn't a local bookbinder - certainly there isn't one listed in the local phone Book.

      Finding the Book of Hours was pure serendipity - i'd been thinking about getting my wife a replica medieval prayer book of some kind or a replica early Bible, for some time; - and someone sent me a URL which connected me to an e-bay auction which had a "Buy It Now" tag - I thought the price was reasonable for my Lady's present, - so that's what I did.

      The source is a Hungarian book seller or book collector, I'm not sure which, and the facsimile has commentary and a second small book of notes in Hungarian. The whole thing is in a little cardboard slip case. My wife learned her Prayers and her Bible when the Catholic Liturgy was still in Latin, worldwide - so she doesn't want - or need - the pages with the Hungarian notes in a modern typeface.
      Which is why I want the facsimile carfeully dismantled, and ONLY the facsimile pages rebound. Granted they are printed on modern paper, and each facsimile page shows a modern border, making it quite plain each page is a reproduction - but for our purposes as re-enactors that's a great deal better than having the modern typeface included as well.

      But thanks for your suggestion - I did consider doing what you suggest with a leather slip cover - ["RivoAltus" on the Bridge in Venice do nice ones to order, and made my wife a replica medieval belt-book at 24hrs notice during our last visit, for only 20 Euros] - and may well do this as an interim measure to get her through the coming Season in ID.

      So, does anyone know a Bookbinder who's also an SCA period re-enactor?

      Matthew,
      in "old" Jersey

    • citikas
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@...> wrote:

        <snip and rearrange>

        > So, does anyone know a Bookbinder who's also an SCA period
        re-enactor?

        Yes, I do. There are a few of us around and one is coming to
        Drachenwald this spring. Randy Asplund
        (http://www.randyasplund.com/current/bkarts.htm) will be attending
        Double Wars and teaching classes. If you can make it to Double Wars,
        I'm sure he'll have good advice for you. I'd gladly take a look at the
        book too.

        > The source is a Hungarian book seller or book collector, I'm not
        sure which, and the facsimile has commentary and a second small book
        of notes in Hungarian. The whole thing is in a little cardboard slip
        case. My wife learned her Prayers and her Bible when the Catholic
        Liturgy was still in Latin, worldwide - so she doesn't want - or need
        - the pages with the Hungarian notes in a modern typeface.
        > Which is why I want the facsimile carfeully dismantled, and ONLY
        the facsimile pages rebound.

        Depending on how the quires are made up (if it has quires), this may
        be somewhat difficult. I'd need to know how the book has been bound
        before saying something definite. For example: When you look at the
        spine from the top, can you see glue? Is the spine flat or does it
        have small scallops? Are the pages individual or folded at the spine?
        When you open the pages, do some spreads have thread in the middle?

        The possibility to rebind this book in an authentic manner depends on
        how it is bound now.

        The best for you is to show your book to a bookbinder, but as you
        said, you don't have a local one. I can take a look at it at any
        Drachenwald event we both attend. Let me know if you wish me to do so.

        > But thanks for your suggestion - I did consider doing what you
        suggest with a leather slip cover - ["RivoAltus" on the Bridge in
        Venice do nice ones to order, and made my wife a replica medieval
        belt-book at 24hrs notice during our last visit, for only 20 Euros] -
        and may well do this as an interim measure to get her through the
        coming Season in ID.

        For the time being, this may be the best course of action. The slip
        cover need not be leather, it can be velvet or silk satin as well. Let
        me see if I can find some examples on the net for you.

        Ah here are some:

        Weyden, Mary Magdalene reading, c. 1445
        http://www.wga.hu/html/w/weyden/rogier/18fracop/1magdale.html

        David, Virgin among Virgins, 1509
        http://www.uvm.edu/%7Ehag/sca/15th/ainsworthgdp75b.jpg

        Madonna with Donor and St Mary Magdalene, c. 1475
        http://www.wga.hu/html/m/master/zunk_fl/15_paint/2/03gudulf.html

        and an extant one, c. 1460
        http://www.kb.nl/galerie/100hoogtepunten/014.html

        Now, it is more common not to have the slip cover or chemise binding,
        but it'll serve you until you can show the book to a bookbinder.

        Be well,

        Anneke Lyffland
        -~*~-
        And taste it, however it seems good to you, make it so. Sabina
        Welserin anno 1553
      • bronwynmgn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
          In a message dated 3/1/2008 4:40:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

          <<In our 3 years attending SCA events in Insulæ Draconis, travelling
          across the Channel from our little Island, - we haven't met anyone yet
          for whom bookbinding is a chosen skill within the Society.>>

          I do not know much about bookbinding personally, but I do know someone who
          knows more about it than I do. Or at least limp bindings. However, I don't
          know if limp bindings are appropriate for 15th century. If they are, I can at
          least get you in contact with someone whose Laurel does limp binding. The
          person is here in the US, but might have contacts for someone in the UK or at
          least in Europe.

          Brangwayna Morgan

          2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)
        • kittencat3@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
            Baron Lyle FitzWilliam received his Laurel for bookbinding two years ago.  I believe he's on this list, actually...Lyle?

            Sarah Davies

            In a message dated 3/1/2008 4:40:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

            <<In our 3 years attending SCA events in Insulæ Draconis, travelling
            across the Channel from our little Island, - we haven't met anyone yet
            for whom bookbinding is a chosen skill within the Society.>>

            I do not know much about bookbinding personally, but I do know someone who
            knows more about it than I do. Or at least limp bindings. However, I don't
            know if limp bindings are appropriate for 15th century. If they are, I can at
            least get you in contact with someone whose Laurel does limp binding. The
            person is here in the US, but might have contacts for someone in the UK or at
            least in Europe.

            Brangwayna Morgan

            2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

          • Natasha Laity Snyder
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
              Lady Gwerfyl verch Aneirin, the Chronicler and Royal Scrivener of
              Atlantia is a bookbinder.

              Natasha Laity Snyder

              Lady Tangwystel vyrgh Gwethenek
              Chronicler
              Barony of Black Diamond

              Argent, a popinjay displayed and on a bordure vert an orle of vine
              argent

            • bec_tonkin
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 5, 2008
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@...> wrote:
                > Finding the Book of Hours was pure serendipity - i'd been thinking
                about getting my wife a replica medieval prayer book of some kind or a
                replica early Bible, for some time; - and someone sent me a URL which
                connected me to an e-bay auction which had a "Buy It Now" tag - I
                thought the price was reasonable for my Lady's present, - so that's
                what I did.

                Sweet! I shall have to keep an eye on e-bay more.
                Thanks, and hope you're able to get it bound the way you want it.
                Rebecca