Re: Bookbinder sought.

  • bec_tonkin
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1 2:18 AM
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Julian" <smnco37@...> wrote:

      > Gentles All,
      > I have just bought a facsimile Book of Hours of The Virgin as another
      > medieval accessory for my Lady, who is both "in persona" and
      mundanely
      > a Catholic.
      > It's only a small book - about 3" x4.5" with a modern hardcover
      > binding; - and I'd like to have it rebound for her in a fascimile
      15th
      > century leather binding, to complement the small altar to St.
      Stephen,
      > and prie dieu we have in our encampment.

      Hello!
      You found something! May I know where you got it from?

      Also, you could consider covering the modern cover with a slip-on or
      sewn-on leather cover. This would mean that the current binding need
      not be disturbed, and would probably be something you could do yourself.
      Or, you could look in your local phone directory for book binders, we
      have then here (in Australia) and they do small tasks such as thesis
      binding etc, so there are probably some around somewhere willing to do
      a small job.
      Good luck,
      Rebecca
    • julian wilson
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1 2:48 AM
        bec_tonkin <bec_tonkin@...> wrote:
        Hello!
        You found something! May I know where you got it from?

        Also, you could consider covering the modern cover with a slip-on or
        sewn-on leather cover. This would mean that the current binding need
        not be disturbed, and would probably be something you could do yourself.
        Or, you could look in your local phone directory for book binders, we
        have then here (in Australia) and they do small tasks such as thesis
        binding etc, so there are probably some around somewhere willing to do
        a small job.
        Good luck,
        Rebecca

        RESPONSE

        Rebecca,
        we live in a tiny island just off the French Coast, and so far as I know, there isn't a local bookbinder - certainly there isn't one listed in the local phone Book.

        Finding the Book of Hours was pure serendipity - i'd been thinking about getting my wife a replica medieval prayer book of some kind or a replica early Bible, for some time; - and someone sent me a URL which connected me to an e-bay auction which had a "Buy It Now" tag - I thought the price was reasonable for my Lady's present, - so that's what I did.

        The source is a Hungarian book seller or book collector, I'm not sure which, and the facsimile has commentary and a second small book of notes in Hungarian. The whole thing is in a little cardboard slip case. My wife learned her Prayers and her Bible when the Catholic Liturgy was still in Latin, worldwide - so she doesn't want - or need - the pages with the Hungarian notes in a modern typeface.
        Which is why I want the facsimile carfeully dismantled, and ONLY the facsimile pages rebound. Granted they are printed on modern paper, and each facsimile page shows a modern border, making it quite plain each page is a reproduction - but for our purposes as re-enactors that's a great deal better than having the modern typeface included as well.

        But thanks for your suggestion - I did consider doing what you suggest with a leather slip cover - ["RivoAltus" on the Bridge in Venice do nice ones to order, and made my wife a replica medieval belt-book at 24hrs notice during our last visit, for only 20 Euros] - and may well do this as an interim measure to get her through the coming Season in ID.

        So, does anyone know a Bookbinder who's also an SCA period re-enactor?

        Matthew,
        in "old" Jersey

      • citikas
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1 7:06 AM
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@...> wrote:

          <snip and rearrange>

          > So, does anyone know a Bookbinder who's also an SCA period
          re-enactor?

          Yes, I do. There are a few of us around and one is coming to
          Drachenwald this spring. Randy Asplund
          (http://www.randyasplund.com/current/bkarts.htm) will be attending
          Double Wars and teaching classes. If you can make it to Double Wars,
          I'm sure he'll have good advice for you. I'd gladly take a look at the
          book too.

          > The source is a Hungarian book seller or book collector, I'm not
          sure which, and the facsimile has commentary and a second small book
          of notes in Hungarian. The whole thing is in a little cardboard slip
          case. My wife learned her Prayers and her Bible when the Catholic
          Liturgy was still in Latin, worldwide - so she doesn't want - or need
          - the pages with the Hungarian notes in a modern typeface.
          > Which is why I want the facsimile carfeully dismantled, and ONLY
          the facsimile pages rebound.

          Depending on how the quires are made up (if it has quires), this may
          be somewhat difficult. I'd need to know how the book has been bound
          before saying something definite. For example: When you look at the
          spine from the top, can you see glue? Is the spine flat or does it
          have small scallops? Are the pages individual or folded at the spine?
          When you open the pages, do some spreads have thread in the middle?

          The possibility to rebind this book in an authentic manner depends on
          how it is bound now.

          The best for you is to show your book to a bookbinder, but as you
          said, you don't have a local one. I can take a look at it at any
          Drachenwald event we both attend. Let me know if you wish me to do so.

          > But thanks for your suggestion - I did consider doing what you
          suggest with a leather slip cover - ["RivoAltus" on the Bridge in
          Venice do nice ones to order, and made my wife a replica medieval
          belt-book at 24hrs notice during our last visit, for only 20 Euros] -
          and may well do this as an interim measure to get her through the
          coming Season in ID.

          For the time being, this may be the best course of action. The slip
          cover need not be leather, it can be velvet or silk satin as well. Let
          me see if I can find some examples on the net for you.

          Ah here are some:

          Weyden, Mary Magdalene reading, c. 1445
          http://www.wga.hu/html/w/weyden/rogier/18fracop/1magdale.html

          David, Virgin among Virgins, 1509
          http://www.uvm.edu/%7Ehag/sca/15th/ainsworthgdp75b.jpg

          Madonna with Donor and St Mary Magdalene, c. 1475
          http://www.wga.hu/html/m/master/zunk_fl/15_paint/2/03gudulf.html

          and an extant one, c. 1460
          http://www.kb.nl/galerie/100hoogtepunten/014.html

          Now, it is more common not to have the slip cover or chemise binding,
          but it'll serve you until you can show the book to a bookbinder.

          Be well,

          Anneke Lyffland
          -~*~-
          And taste it, however it seems good to you, make it so. Sabina
          Welserin anno 1553
        • bronwynmgn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1 8:24 AM
            In a message dated 3/1/2008 4:40:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

            <<In our 3 years attending SCA events in Insulæ Draconis, travelling
            across the Channel from our little Island, - we haven't met anyone yet
            for whom bookbinding is a chosen skill within the Society.>>

            I do not know much about bookbinding personally, but I do know someone who
            knows more about it than I do. Or at least limp bindings. However, I don't
            know if limp bindings are appropriate for 15th century. If they are, I can at
            least get you in contact with someone whose Laurel does limp binding. The
            person is here in the US, but might have contacts for someone in the UK or at
            least in Europe.

            Brangwayna Morgan

            2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)
          • kittencat3@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1 3:00 PM
              Baron Lyle FitzWilliam received his Laurel for bookbinding two years ago.  I believe he's on this list, actually...Lyle?

              Sarah Davies

              In a message dated 3/1/2008 4:40:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

              <<In our 3 years attending SCA events in Insulæ Draconis, travelling
              across the Channel from our little Island, - we haven't met anyone yet
              for whom bookbinding is a chosen skill within the Society.>>

              I do not know much about bookbinding personally, but I do know someone who
              knows more about it than I do. Or at least limp bindings. However, I don't
              know if limp bindings are appropriate for 15th century. If they are, I can at
              least get you in contact with someone whose Laurel does limp binding. The
              person is here in the US, but might have contacts for someone in the UK or at
              least in Europe.

              Brangwayna Morgan

              2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

            • Natasha Laity Snyder
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2 4:25 PM
                Lady Gwerfyl verch Aneirin, the Chronicler and Royal Scrivener of
                Atlantia is a bookbinder.

                Natasha Laity Snyder

                Lady Tangwystel vyrgh Gwethenek
                Chronicler
                Barony of Black Diamond

                Argent, a popinjay displayed and on a bordure vert an orle of vine
                argent

              • bec_tonkin
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 5 11:49 PM
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@...> wrote:
                  > Finding the Book of Hours was pure serendipity - i'd been thinking
                  about getting my wife a replica medieval prayer book of some kind or a
                  replica early Bible, for some time; - and someone sent me a URL which
                  connected me to an e-bay auction which had a "Buy It Now" tag - I
                  thought the price was reasonable for my Lady's present, - so that's
                  what I did.

                  Sweet! I shall have to keep an eye on e-bay more.
                  Thanks, and hope you're able to get it bound the way you want it.
                  Rebecca