Bookbinder sought.

  • Julian
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 29, 2008
      Gentles All,
      I have just bought a facsimile Book of Hours of The Virgin as another
      medieval accessory for my Lady, who is both "in persona" and mundanely
      a Catholic.
      It's only a small book - about 3" x4.5" with a modern hardcover
      binding; - and I'd like to have it rebound for her in a fascimile 15th
      century leather binding, to complement the small altar to St. Stephen,
      and prie dieu we have in our encampment.
      In "spiffing-up-our encampment" over the last five years, bookbinding
      is a skill we've never needed, - so I have no idea whom to approach to
      discuss such a commission.
      In our 3 years attending SCA events in Insulæ Draconis, travelling
      across the Channel from our little Island, - we haven't met anyone yet
      for whom bookbinding is a chosen skill within the Society.
      Your suggestions would be very welcome.
      In Service to the Light, and unto Drachenwald also,
      Lord Matthew Baker,
    • Kareina Talvi Tytär
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 29, 2008
        At 09:35 1/03/2008, Lord Matthew Baker wrote:

        >In our 3 years attending SCA events in Insulæ Draconis, travelling
        >across the Channel from our little Island, - we haven't met anyone yet
        >for whom bookbinding is a chosen skill within the Society.

        Good luck finding someone! But if you can't, it
        may not be that hard to teach yourself the skills
        needed. I took an art class on book-binding in
        highschool, and while the class didn't focus on
        period techniques, the methods they taught were
        very straight forward--we were taught how to sew
        the "signatures" together (already done for your
        book), glue a reinforcement to the spine along
        with a sturdy paper part which sticks out a bit
        fore and aft to which one attaches the binding
        itself. My memories are not detailed enough to
        teach the technique (it's been *how* many years
        now!!!?), but I can say that the process is easy
        enough for anyone with basic artistic skills.

        I know that there are also embroidered book
        covers in period, but don't recall off the top of
        my head if they are 15th century or not, but if
        they are, they would look lovely on your altar to
        St. Stephen. I think that I saw them on a link
        posted to the Worshipful Company of Broiders
        e-maill list here in Lochac , but don't have time
        to check their web page
        <http://www.sca.org.au/broiderers/index.htm> to see if the link is also there.

        --Kareina
      • bec_tonkin
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Julian" <smnco37@...> wrote:

          > Gentles All,
          > I have just bought a facsimile Book of Hours of The Virgin as another
          > medieval accessory for my Lady, who is both "in persona" and
          mundanely
          > a Catholic.
          > It's only a small book - about 3" x4.5" with a modern hardcover
          > binding; - and I'd like to have it rebound for her in a fascimile
          15th
          > century leather binding, to complement the small altar to St.
          Stephen,
          > and prie dieu we have in our encampment.

          Hello!
          You found something! May I know where you got it from?

          Also, you could consider covering the modern cover with a slip-on or
          sewn-on leather cover. This would mean that the current binding need
          not be disturbed, and would probably be something you could do yourself.
          Or, you could look in your local phone directory for book binders, we
          have then here (in Australia) and they do small tasks such as thesis
          binding etc, so there are probably some around somewhere willing to do
          a small job.
          Good luck,
          Rebecca
        • julian wilson
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
            bec_tonkin <bec_tonkin@...> wrote:
            Hello!
            You found something! May I know where you got it from?

            Also, you could consider covering the modern cover with a slip-on or
            sewn-on leather cover. This would mean that the current binding need
            not be disturbed, and would probably be something you could do yourself.
            Or, you could look in your local phone directory for book binders, we
            have then here (in Australia) and they do small tasks such as thesis
            binding etc, so there are probably some around somewhere willing to do
            a small job.
            Good luck,
            Rebecca

            RESPONSE

            Rebecca,
            we live in a tiny island just off the French Coast, and so far as I know, there isn't a local bookbinder - certainly there isn't one listed in the local phone Book.

            Finding the Book of Hours was pure serendipity - i'd been thinking about getting my wife a replica medieval prayer book of some kind or a replica early Bible, for some time; - and someone sent me a URL which connected me to an e-bay auction which had a "Buy It Now" tag - I thought the price was reasonable for my Lady's present, - so that's what I did.

            The source is a Hungarian book seller or book collector, I'm not sure which, and the facsimile has commentary and a second small book of notes in Hungarian. The whole thing is in a little cardboard slip case. My wife learned her Prayers and her Bible when the Catholic Liturgy was still in Latin, worldwide - so she doesn't want - or need - the pages with the Hungarian notes in a modern typeface.
            Which is why I want the facsimile carfeully dismantled, and ONLY the facsimile pages rebound. Granted they are printed on modern paper, and each facsimile page shows a modern border, making it quite plain each page is a reproduction - but for our purposes as re-enactors that's a great deal better than having the modern typeface included as well.

            But thanks for your suggestion - I did consider doing what you suggest with a leather slip cover - ["RivoAltus" on the Bridge in Venice do nice ones to order, and made my wife a replica medieval belt-book at 24hrs notice during our last visit, for only 20 Euros] - and may well do this as an interim measure to get her through the coming Season in ID.

            So, does anyone know a Bookbinder who's also an SCA period re-enactor?

            Matthew,
            in "old" Jersey

          • citikas
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@...> wrote:

              <snip and rearrange>

              > So, does anyone know a Bookbinder who's also an SCA period
              re-enactor?

              Yes, I do. There are a few of us around and one is coming to
              Drachenwald this spring. Randy Asplund
              (http://www.randyasplund.com/current/bkarts.htm) will be attending
              Double Wars and teaching classes. If you can make it to Double Wars,
              I'm sure he'll have good advice for you. I'd gladly take a look at the
              book too.

              > The source is a Hungarian book seller or book collector, I'm not
              sure which, and the facsimile has commentary and a second small book
              of notes in Hungarian. The whole thing is in a little cardboard slip
              case. My wife learned her Prayers and her Bible when the Catholic
              Liturgy was still in Latin, worldwide - so she doesn't want - or need
              - the pages with the Hungarian notes in a modern typeface.
              > Which is why I want the facsimile carfeully dismantled, and ONLY
              the facsimile pages rebound.

              Depending on how the quires are made up (if it has quires), this may
              be somewhat difficult. I'd need to know how the book has been bound
              before saying something definite. For example: When you look at the
              spine from the top, can you see glue? Is the spine flat or does it
              have small scallops? Are the pages individual or folded at the spine?
              When you open the pages, do some spreads have thread in the middle?

              The possibility to rebind this book in an authentic manner depends on
              how it is bound now.

              The best for you is to show your book to a bookbinder, but as you
              said, you don't have a local one. I can take a look at it at any
              Drachenwald event we both attend. Let me know if you wish me to do so.

              > But thanks for your suggestion - I did consider doing what you
              suggest with a leather slip cover - ["RivoAltus" on the Bridge in
              Venice do nice ones to order, and made my wife a replica medieval
              belt-book at 24hrs notice during our last visit, for only 20 Euros] -
              and may well do this as an interim measure to get her through the
              coming Season in ID.

              For the time being, this may be the best course of action. The slip
              cover need not be leather, it can be velvet or silk satin as well. Let
              me see if I can find some examples on the net for you.

              Ah here are some:

              Weyden, Mary Magdalene reading, c. 1445
              http://www.wga.hu/html/w/weyden/rogier/18fracop/1magdale.html

              David, Virgin among Virgins, 1509
              http://www.uvm.edu/%7Ehag/sca/15th/ainsworthgdp75b.jpg

              Madonna with Donor and St Mary Magdalene, c. 1475
              http://www.wga.hu/html/m/master/zunk_fl/15_paint/2/03gudulf.html

              and an extant one, c. 1460
              http://www.kb.nl/galerie/100hoogtepunten/014.html

              Now, it is more common not to have the slip cover or chemise binding,
              but it'll serve you until you can show the book to a bookbinder.

              Be well,

              Anneke Lyffland
              -~*~-
              And taste it, however it seems good to you, make it so. Sabina
              Welserin anno 1553
            • bronwynmgn@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
                In a message dated 3/1/2008 4:40:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

                <<In our 3 years attending SCA events in Insulæ Draconis, travelling
                across the Channel from our little Island, - we haven't met anyone yet
                for whom bookbinding is a chosen skill within the Society.>>

                I do not know much about bookbinding personally, but I do know someone who
                knows more about it than I do. Or at least limp bindings. However, I don't
                know if limp bindings are appropriate for 15th century. If they are, I can at
                least get you in contact with someone whose Laurel does limp binding. The
                person is here in the US, but might have contacts for someone in the UK or at
                least in Europe.

                Brangwayna Morgan

                2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)
              • kittencat3@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
                  Baron Lyle FitzWilliam received his Laurel for bookbinding two years ago.  I believe he's on this list, actually...Lyle?

                  Sarah Davies

                  In a message dated 3/1/2008 4:40:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

                  <<In our 3 years attending SCA events in Insulæ Draconis, travelling
                  across the Channel from our little Island, - we haven't met anyone yet
                  for whom bookbinding is a chosen skill within the Society.>>

                  I do not know much about bookbinding personally, but I do know someone who
                  knows more about it than I do. Or at least limp bindings. However, I don't
                  know if limp bindings are appropriate for 15th century. If they are, I can at
                  least get you in contact with someone whose Laurel does limp binding. The
                  person is here in the US, but might have contacts for someone in the UK or at
                  least in Europe.

                  Brangwayna Morgan

                  2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

                • Natasha Laity Snyder
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 2, 2008
                    Lady Gwerfyl verch Aneirin, the Chronicler and Royal Scrivener of
                    Atlantia is a bookbinder.

                    Natasha Laity Snyder

                    Lady Tangwystel vyrgh Gwethenek
                    Chronicler
                    Barony of Black Diamond

                    Argent, a popinjay displayed and on a bordure vert an orle of vine
                    argent

                  • bec_tonkin
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 5, 2008
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@...> wrote:
                      > Finding the Book of Hours was pure serendipity - i'd been thinking
                      about getting my wife a replica medieval prayer book of some kind or a
                      replica early Bible, for some time; - and someone sent me a URL which
                      connected me to an e-bay auction which had a "Buy It Now" tag - I
                      thought the price was reasonable for my Lady's present, - so that's
                      what I did.

                      Sweet! I shall have to keep an eye on e-bay more.
                      Thanks, and hope you're able to get it bound the way you want it.
                      Rebecca