Re: What do you consider essential?

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 27, 2008
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "pandora_heinlein" <Deb@...> wrote:

      > When someone is getting started in the SCA and is wishing to remain on
      > the authentic side of things what do you consider essential
      > gear/garb/persona information?

      An open mind and a library card.

      Seriously. When you're new, how do you know what you want to pursue in
      the SCA? How do you know what time period/culture you want to immerse
      yourself in? Most newcomers don't. Figuring that out takes time.
      Investing in kit that turns out to be all wrong for you gets wasteful
      and expensive.

      OK. Bare minimum:

      Clothing. One tunic or tunic type dress of period construction, shirt
      or shift to wear under it, a belt, a veil (ladies, headcoverings!) or
      hat. Footwear that is not glaringly modern (because medieval shoes are
      something of an investment, whether you learn to make your own or
      purchase from the growing number of vendors catering to the SCA and
      other re-enactment communities).
      http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners.php?s=&c=8&d=141&e=&f=&g=&a=126&w=2
      has a nice "beginner" article.

      Feastware: A bowl. A cup. A knife. A spoon. A plate or platter. A
      cloth napkin. A basket or box to keep it in. You may be able to kit
      yourself out at the nearest thrift shop. Again, start with things that
      are not glaringly modern and will get the job done until you are SURE
      that you absolutely must have 15th century prunted glassware or a 9th
      century drinking horn with which to slake your thirst.

      Camping is a whole 'nother ball of wax and period camp accoutrements
      can involve some investment, either in cash or time and skill if you
      try to make them yourself.

      Good luck,
      Jehanne de Wodeford
      West Kingdom
    • Melisende Fitzwalter
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 28, 2008
        I have found that you can get by for years on the
        following:

        - Authentic name - researched online or in a library -
        nothing too fancy and that can span a couple of
        centuries if necessary in case of change in period -
        with a broad outline of the type of person your
        persona was in case anyone asks.
        - A standard period fabric undergarment for the chosen
        period
        - Standard period fabric leg garments for the period
        - standard overgarment in period fabric
        - Standard Head covering in period fabric.
        - Common shoe-type for the period
        - Belt and pouch
        - Wooden bowl/platter
        - Spoon and knife (and fork if slightly later period)
        - Tankard or beaker
        - Wicker/wooden recepticle to hold the above.

        The above in my estimation is the bare minimum to
        maintain an authentic "look" and feel, and can be
        built upon and added to over time and increased
        research/knowledge.

        YIS,
        Melisende
      • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 28, 2008
          > When someone is getting started in the SCA and is wishing to remain on
          > the authentic side of things what do you consider essential
          > gear/garb/persona information?
          >
          > In Service
          > Deborah

          I actually don't think that is the right thing to be aiming for when
          getting started. I believe the first thing to do is to "un-modernise."
          Some sort of garb obviously, but I mean taking bread and cheese instead
          of sandwiches, a basket instead of your backpack, a calico bag to hide
          your mobile and keys in, a wooden stool instead of your plastic one
          from the camping shop, that sort of thing. By the time you've done
          that, you'll have been around long enough to have some aims, and a
          lengthy list of projects to work towards.
          The only real essentials, as far as I can see, are some form of garb,
          and some feast gear. The rest can wait until you've found the direction
          you want to persue. It's a journey, remember. No one is supposed to
          have it right immediately. Like I said, once you've un-modernised,
          you'll have far more idea of what you want to do. It's a game not work!
          If you've got op-shop feast gear and a tunic, then get side tracked
          onto a fabulous embroidery project, who is anyone else to tell you you
          shouldn't? If you have a borrowed tunic and spend your entire first
          event in the kitchen, I assure you no one will complain!
          At risk of sounding poetic/ corny, we all have our own road to follow
          and detours are not a waste of time.
          :)
          Rosie/Nawojka
        • bronwynmgn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 28, 2008
            In a message dated 2/28/2008 4:39:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

            <<When someone is getting started in the SCA and is wishing to remain on
            the authentic side of things what do you consider essential
            gear/garb/persona information? >>

            A historically appropriate name is important. It's going to be hard to even
            think about being a medieval person if everyone is calling you Trish or
            Daeshawn, and regardless of how accurate your clothing is, as soon as you
            introduce yourself, you will break the spell. Finding a good name takes research,
            but not a lot of money. When you hear yourself being called by a name that's
            appropriate to the persona you want, it's much easier to remember to stay
            away from modern topics like your computer and such, I think.

            Brangwayna Morgan

            2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)
          • Natalie W.
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 28, 2008
              > When someone is getting started in the SCA and is wishing to remain on
              > the authentic side of things what do you consider essential
              > gear/garb/persona information?
              >
              > In Service
              > Deborah.
              ,_._,___
              At my first SCA event I was awfully proud of myself for having made a high medieval dress out of an old curtain with a matching drop-waist tie belt. Proud until some high n mighty ninny announced to me that as the fabric was poly-blend and more of a high Victorian design, I was completely off the mark. I was crestfallen. Fortunately, my local Baron (who I hadn't yet met at that point) swooped in and wagged his Laurel/Knight/Pelican finger at the ne'er do well and reminded her that "No one is expected to step from the head of Zeus fully garbed in documented fashion their first time out!".....He also reminded the individual that as I'd made the dress myself, the local Chatelaine had been able to give the barony's loaner garb to someone else and that I should be commended for "trying" hard to be un-modern!

              Never forget that the SCA is a "Living History" group...one joins in order to learn. It's a journey. Few newcomers have their personnae yet. (Took me a year to figure mine out and I'm still tweaking 4 years later...which is tough because every time I change something, it costs me a fortune in garb! LOL). I'd echo the advice of others here to "un modernize" as much as possible. If you only have the modern equivalent of something, be creative about "covering it up" or "disguising" modern things. Don't sew? A pair of curtain panels pinned together will make a simple Greek dress. Who hasn't made a toga out of a bed sheet? Contact your local chatelaine and ask what loaner garb might be available. HIDE your phone, keys, wallet in a basket if you're female. Make a pouch out of a hankie and string and tie it to a leather belt around your waist if you're male. Bring a cushion to sit on if you don't have a wooden stool. If you only have a modern camping chair,
              throw a blanket over it.

              Still worried you can't hid your non-authentic appearance or lack of knowledge, VOLUNTEER for something! All will be overlooked! LOL

              Lead by example all ye authenticos! Lead on.

              YIS
              Ariadne
              Caid

            • i_odlin
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 29, 2008
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Natalie W." <equigal_99@...> wrote:

                > At my first SCA event I was awfully proud of myself for having made
                > a high medieval dress out of an old curtain with a matching
                > drop-waist tie belt. Proud until some high n mighty ninny announced
                > to me that as the fabric was poly-blend and more of a high Victorian
                > design, I was completely off the mark. [...]

                I am confused by the message you are trying to convey.

                You say you were proud of your "high medieval dress." Except it
                evidently wasn't.

                When someone points out that it is in fact high Victorian and off-
                target by several centuries, you appear to have gotten mad about it.
                You call this person a "high n mighty ninny" and a "ne'er do well"
                even now and delight in the solace provided by a dressing-down of
                this gentle by your local Baron-with-Many-Danglies.

                Then you close your tale with:

                > Never forget that the SCA is a "Living History" group...one joins
                > in order to learn.

                Granted, I was not there. I did not experience your particular
                dressing down and I don't know what led into it. Perhaps you were
                showing it off and telling folks how proud you were of your medieval
                dress and someone felt moved to correct your misapprehension. And
                perhaps it was -- as you present it -- an unwarranted out-of-the-blue
                attack by a Genuine Authenticity Fascist {tm}.

                Regardless, you seem to be arguing that because you felt pride in
                your dress it warranted neither correction nor improvement.

                This makes your story as presented seem antithetical to your
                statement that learning is the point of the SCA.

                I was similarly accosted at my first event by someone who felt
                compelled for whatever reason to comment on my garb. I pointed out
                his shoes weren't contemporary with the rest of what he was wearing
                and then asked him what he felt I had gotten wrong. Turns out he was
                right. And so was I. We talked and learned a few things about our
                clothing from each other.

                Proud as I was of what I had made, I didn't let that pride stand in
                the way of learning something from someone else.

                Surely we must learn from our mistakes instead of clinging to them,
                no matter how we learn of them?

                -Iain of Malagentia
              • mary_m_haselbauer
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 29, 2008
                  If someone is determined to be authentic I'd first make sure they
                  aren't pursuing it soley out of fear of being snarked. Next I'd advise
                  them to follow the evidence and choose an area that is particularly
                  well documented with archaeological finds (published in a language the
                  newcomer reads) and/or has an abundance of naturalistic and detailed
                  artwork.

                  While thinking of clothing from the innermost layer out is a good idea
                  I wonder if starting with accessories be better. There seems to be a
                  lot more surviving pouches than tunics. Shoes are more difficult as a
                  sad tunic look really sharp.

                  Cheers,
                  Slaine
                • jentien@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 29, 2008
                    Just thought I might ad a little something here......I would suggest keeping it simple at first, and perhaps opting for the more simple clothing of the lower classes,?rather that jumping right into Elizabethan and the like. I'm kind of jaded, but I'm a big fan of 14th century duds.??There is so much information available from extant finds and illuminations that patterns aren't terribly difficult to obtain......or, if you aren't into making things yourself, there are several good merchants that sell clothing and accessories from that time period.

                    Jantien de Groet

                  • Rebecca Klingbeil
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 22, 2008
                      I'm kind of
                      > jaded, but I'm a big fan of 14th century
                      > duds.??There is so much information available from
                      > extant finds and illuminations that patterns aren't
                      > terribly difficult to obtain......or, if you aren't
                      > into making things yourself, there are several good
                      > merchants that sell clothing and accessories from
                      > that time period.
                      >
                      > Jantien de Groet

                      If you gentles will bear with me, can I side track
                      this (now somewhat old) conversation to ask something?

                      I am merchant and while I am in the business of
                      selling things things to the SCA, it is not my only
                      reason for being in SCA. That said, I still need to
                      make a living. Which has to do with my question:

                      I had an idea for a product that is essentially a
                      research help - or at least, that is the concept. I
                      found myself wondering that since many of us use
                      period paintings and illuminations in our research,
                      would having a large number of such images in one
                      place be useful? For example, if you wanted to make
                      15th c. Italian shoes, would a collection of images
                      from the 15th c. that had accompanying text that let
                      you know which ones were from Italy so you could
                      easily view a large number of images by 15th c.
                      Italians showed shoes be useful?

                      In essence, it would be a series of CD-ROMs with
                      images that were sorted by what was shown in them
                      (men's clothing, women's clothing, jewelry, armor,
                      shoes, household goods, furniture, musical
                      instruments, etc.).

                      I want to do this project, because I think it would be
                      useful, but, it requires a monetary investment to
                      acquire the legal right to reproduce certain images.
                      So I would have to charge for the CDs because I simply
                      could not afford to create them otherwise. (Granted, I
                      would not charge a lot - maybe $4-$5 a CD-ROM).

                      I suppose why I am posting this is: Am I off base? Is
                      this a crazy idea or a truly useful one? Should I
                      scrap it now before I invest the time (to find,
                      categorize, and sort the images) and money to creat
                      these?

                      I'm asking this list because SCAdians like yourselves
                      would, frankly, be a target market for such an idea,
                      since it is aimed at helping the re-enactor visually
                      reverence period items.

                      Thanks for letting me ask this,
                      Leofwynn Marchaunt
                      (mka Rebecca Klingbeil)
                    • Ingvarr �rrabein
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 23, 2008
                        If you gentles will bear with me, can I side track
                        this (now somewhat old) conversation to ask something?

                        <snip>

                        I'm asking this list because SCAdians like yourselves
                        would, frankly, be a target market for such an idea,
                        since it is aimed at helping the re-enactor visually
                        reverence period items.

                        I think that you would have no problem selling them, especially at $5+/-
                        each. I would buy a few.

                        Ingvarr
                      • i_odlin
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 23, 2008
                          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Rebecca Klingbeil
                          <bekkamom2001@...> wrote:
                          > I suppose why I am posting this is: Am I off base? Is
                          > this a crazy idea or a truly useful one? Should I
                          > scrap it now before I invest the time (to find,
                          > categorize, and sort the images) and money to creat
                          > these?

                          It would be very useful. It is also very, very unlikely -- sadly --
                          that it could be done.

                          Copyright law is an ugly and dangerous subject, and I highly suggest
                          you sit down with an international copyright specialist (or two)
                          before taking a single step further down this path.

                          Despite the original authors and artists being deceased for centuries
                          (or millennia), modern museums and trusts are mostly of the
                          opinion that if the item is in their possession, they have the
                          inalienable right to say how, when and if you can use depictions of
                          it. And, more to the heart of the matter, that they can charge you
                          for it. Often extravagantly.

                          Perhaps this will inspire me to finally write that book review of
                          "Medieval Building Techniques" by Gunther Binding; horribly and
                          fatally ham-strung by this very problem...

                          -Iain of Malagentia
                        • Michael Hurley
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 23, 2008
                            >In essence, it would be a series of CD-ROMs with
                            >images that were sorted by what was shown in them
                            >(men's clothing, women's clothing, jewelry, armor,
                            >shoes, household goods, furniture, musical
                            >instruments, etc.).
                            >
                            >I'm asking this list because SCAdians like yourselves
                            >would, frankly, be a target market for such an idea,
                            >since it is aimed at helping the re-enactor visually
                            >reverence period items.

                            I would certainly be interested in something like this. Basically, it
                            would be a visual encyclopedia of medieval goods.
                            --
                            Auf wiedersehen!
                            Michael

                            "..No."

                            -Real Genius
                          • julian wilson
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 24, 2008
                              Coming from a very isolated little Island where two SCAdian families are hoping to recruit and start a branch eventually, I'd certainly be interested in buying some.
                              Matthew Baker,
                              Ile d'Orgeuil,
                              Anglo-norman Isles,
                              Realm fo Drachenwald

                              > If you gentles will bear with me, can I side track
                              > this (now somewhat old) conversation to ask something?
                              >
                              > <snip>
                              >
                              > I'm asking this list because SCAdians like
                              > yourselves
                              > would, frankly, be a target market for such an idea,
                              > since it is aimed at helping the re-enactor visually
                              > reverence period items.

                              > I think that you would have no problem selling them,
                              > especially at $5+/-
                              > each. I would buy a few.
                              >
                              > Ingvarr

                            • Rebecca Klingbeil
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 24, 2008
                                --- i_odlin <i_odlin@...> wrote:

                                > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Rebecca
                                > Klingbeil
                                > <bekkamom2001@...> wrote:
                                > > I suppose why I am posting this is: Am I off base?
                                > Is
                                > > this a crazy idea or a truly useful one? Should I
                                > > scrap it now before I invest the time (to find,
                                > > categorize, and sort the images) and money to
                                > creat
                                > > these?
                                >
                                > It would be very useful. It is also very, very
                                > unlikely -- sadly --
                                > that it could be done.
                                >
                                > Copyright law is an ugly and dangerous subject, and
                                > I highly suggest
                                > you sit down with an international copyright
                                > specialist (or two)
                                > before taking a single step further down this path.
                                >
                                > Despite the original authors and artists being
                                > deceased for centuries
                                > (or millennia), modern museums and trusts are mostly
                                > of the
                                > opinion that if the item is in their possession,
                                > they have the
                                > inalienable right to say how, when and if you can
                                > use depictions of
                                > it. And, more to the heart of the matter, that they
                                > can charge you
                                > for it. Often extravagantly.
                                >
                                > Perhaps this will inspire me to finally write that
                                > book review of
                                > "Medieval Building Techniques" by Gunther Binding;
                                > horribly and
                                > fatally ham-strung by this very problem...
                                >
                                > -Iain of Malagentia

                                Actually, m'lord, I am in discussions with a large
                                organization that has fine art images available for
                                licensing. Since many of the projects they provide
                                images for are educational, they are willing to give
                                me a large number of image licenses for a lump sum. I
                                AM following copyright law. I will likely contact
                                specific museums if I need a specific image not
                                available with the larger service I am currently
                                dealing with.

                                I am quite aware of copyright, and intend to make sure
                                I pay for the rights. That the main reason why I
                                cannot do this for free. While the image source I have
                                is willing to cut me a price break because I am a
                                small producer of a very limited run intended mostly
                                for research and education, I do still have to pay for
                                the right to use their images.

                                Sincerely,
                                Leofwynn Marchaunt