Re: persona & religion - facsimile late-Med.bibles or prayer books?

  • bec_tonkin
    Message 1 of 49 , Feb 23, 2008
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@...>
      wrote:

      > Gentles of The List,
      > while this thread is current - may I add another question?
      > Can anyone recommend a modern facsimile of a medieval Book of
      Hours or a Bible of the late 15th C.?

      For the type of Bible, the Latin Vulgate would be available to
      England in 1470-1500. Even printed copies. A whole Bible would be
      more expensive and less common than a Psalter (the Psalms). Amazon
      has plain modern printed Latin Vulgate Bibles for sale. You can also
      get facsimile Gutenberg bibles (http://www.greatsite.com/facsimile-
      reproductions/gutenberg-1455.html) but I think $9,500 might be e bit
      more than you'd want to pay...
      There are facsimile editions online, here's links to a couple:
      http://www.humi.keio.ac.jp/treasures/incunabula/B42/
      http://www.bl.uk/treasures/gutenberg/homepage.html
      It might be worth looking in a Catholic bookstore to see what they
      have or could order in.
      Alternatively, digital editions are relatively common, and you could
      print one out for personal use. Google around for one.

      Books of Hours were often used by lay people, more so than Bibles,
      but modern versions suffer from similar problems as Bibles -
      facsimiles are made with very high quality and are exorbitantly
      expensive, and making one yourself is very time consuming. Cheap ones
      don't seem to be around.
      The Artz Hours are online here:
      http://littlepeople.net/artzhours/
      A facsimile edition of the Simon Bening (c.1500) Book of Hours is
      available from the New York Public Library, but it says POA, which I
      would say means $$$.
      http://www.libraryshop.org/flowershours.html
      There is a Hypertext book of hours online at
      http://medievalist.net/hourstxt/home.htm
      which is useful in understanding how much and what is in a book of
      hours, if you decided to have a go at making one yourself.
      This site is also useful:
      http://www.candesign.com/pwhaynes/

      If you are not too concerned with having an extremely accurate book,
      one way to go might be to get the text of what you would like to see
      on display - either the Bible, the Psalms, or a Book of Hours, print
      it yourself in a suitable font, and hand-decorate it. Same method as
      used by Gutenberg, just rather different technology...

      Hope that helps,
      Rebecca

      PS - searching back through the archives here might bring up some
      useful info too.

      > As Christians in the Service of King Henry VII, my Lady and I
      have a small altar in our exhibition-level, period-furnished,
      sleeping tent, - and as an extra display item for this Seasion, I'm
      making a copy of a nice 15th C. little Prieu Dieu that I saw and
      measured-up in a Church in Venice in 2005; - and I'd love to gift my
      Lady with a facsimile prayer book to add to that little display.

      > Listers' suggestions and recommendations will be gratefully
      received.

      > In humble Service to The Light, and to Drachenwald,
      > Matthew Baker

    • bec_tonkin
      Message 49 of 49 , Feb 23, 2008