Re:Trying to identify a style of dress in Poland?

  • Park McKellop
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 15 4:26 AM
      This http://www.elca.org/wittenberg/Microsoft%20Word%20-%20Elizabeth%20of%20Brandenburg%20and%20Braunschweig.pdf
      says that Elizabeth of Brandenburg was born in 1485, so I think that the 15th C date for the grave is a bit off. It would also make her about 36 when the Durer drawing was made. They look very similar to me as well, and are probably the same basic style of dress.

      Is that a hat Elizabeth is wearing, or is it supposed to be a halo? I'd ask the same question of Durer's lady as well. I thought I had a 'complete' collection of Durer's work, but I don't recall that one. Maybe it just isn't registering, or I need to buy another book. ;)

      I pulled up an image of Rogier van der Weyden's 1450 Mary Magdalen to compare the dress styles for comparison. http://www.abcgallery.com/W/weyden/weyden37.JPG

      Alcyoneus

    • quokkaqueen
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 16 4:25 PM
        The hat being worn by Durers' lady is a mystery to me as well, but the
        veil worn by Elizabeth is (if I'm understanding Polish costuming books
        correctly) a frilled headdress called a 'Kruseler'.
        There is a line drawing of the various styles here:
        http://www.landschaftsmuseum.de/Seiten/Lexikon/Spiele-Puppen.htm
        http://www.landschaftsmuseum.de/Seiten/Lexikon/Spiele-Puppen-2.htm
        and photos of a statue of the Madonna, and a painting here:
        http://sammellust.tiroler-landesmuseum.at/objekte/1980b.html

        Thank-you for your suggestions!
        ~Asfridhr

        <<snip>>