Trying to identify a style of dress in Poland?

  • quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2008
      Hi all,

      I'm hoping someone who knows about 15-16th century German dress could
      help me out. I'm trying to work out if there is a specific style or
      'name' for the sort of dress that I'm looking at.

      The first is a line drawing from the 15th century grave of Elizabeth
      of Brandenburg, which is in Legnica. From what I understand, Legnica
      was a part of the Austrian Habsburg kingdom at the time, but parts
      were also in Brandenburg.
      http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/Costume/Ubior/38%20copy.jpg

      The second image is of Durers' 'Livonian Lady' from 1521.
      http://astronomy.nmsu.edu/aklypin/ART/Durer/images/S_LivonianLady-durer-louvre.j\
      pg

      To me, these two drawings look related, and am wondering if there are
      any more illustrations of dresses in this particular style? Do any
      German-costumers here have a special name for that gown type? Or am I
      merely going batty?

      Any help is appreciated,
      Asfridhr
    • Park McKellop
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 15, 2008
        This http://www.elca.org/wittenberg/Microsoft%20Word%20-%20Elizabeth%20of%20Brandenburg%20and%20Braunschweig.pdf
        says that Elizabeth of Brandenburg was born in 1485, so I think that the 15th C date for the grave is a bit off. It would also make her about 36 when the Durer drawing was made. They look very similar to me as well, and are probably the same basic style of dress.

        Is that a hat Elizabeth is wearing, or is it supposed to be a halo? I'd ask the same question of Durer's lady as well. I thought I had a 'complete' collection of Durer's work, but I don't recall that one. Maybe it just isn't registering, or I need to buy another book. ;)

        I pulled up an image of Rogier van der Weyden's 1450 Mary Magdalen to compare the dress styles for comparison. http://www.abcgallery.com/W/weyden/weyden37.JPG

        Alcyoneus

      • quokkaqueen
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 16, 2008
          The hat being worn by Durers' lady is a mystery to me as well, but the
          veil worn by Elizabeth is (if I'm understanding Polish costuming books
          correctly) a frilled headdress called a 'Kruseler'.
          There is a line drawing of the various styles here:
          http://www.landschaftsmuseum.de/Seiten/Lexikon/Spiele-Puppen.htm
          http://www.landschaftsmuseum.de/Seiten/Lexikon/Spiele-Puppen-2.htm
          and photos of a statue of the Madonna, and a painting here:
          http://sammellust.tiroler-landesmuseum.at/objekte/1980b.html

          Thank-you for your suggestions!
          ~Asfridhr

          <<snip>>