Re: henna...

  • borderlands15213
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2008
      I Googled "henna," and found this at Wikipedia:

      "Henna, Lawsonia inermis, produces a red-orange dye molecule, lawsone.
      This molecule has an affinity for bonding with protein, and thus has
      been used to dye skin, hair, fingernails, leather, silk and wool.
      Henna's indigenous zone is the tropical savannah and tropical arid
      zone, in latitudes between 15° and 25° N and S from Africa to the
      western Pacific rim, and produces highest dye content in temperatures
      between 35°C and 45°C. It does not thrive where minimum temperatures
      are below 11°C. Temperatures below 5°C will kill the henna plant. The
      dye molecule, lawsone, is primarily concentrated in the leaves, and is
      in the highest levels in the petioles of the leaf. Products sold as
      "black henna" or "neutral henna" are not made from henna, but may be
      derived from indigo (in the plant Indigofera tinctoria) or Cassia
      obovata, and may contain unlisted dyes and chemicals.[3]"

      This is barely a jumping off point, since there is really no specific
      documentation here for, say, dyeing leather or silk in the
      whatever-century applicable to SCA, but if this information (above) is
      correct, then the documentation is out there *somewhere,* and can be
      found.

      Also found this, as a result of the same Google search:
      http://www.hennapage.com/henna/encyclopedia/leather/howhennadrum/

      This makes sense, since the Wikipedia article points out that henna
      pigment/dye has an affinity for proteins: skin, nails, hair, leather,
      silk, wool.

      From "The Henna Page," there is this section on Henna and Leather,
      including, if you scroll down, a link for...wait for it..."Henna'ed
      Drumheads in Medieval Spain."

      Not a whole lot to go on, but something, and it is both Spanish and
      Medieval....

      Hope this helps--
      Yseult the Gentle

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, anorathepain@... wrote:

      > hello all I am looking for any help documenting the use of henna in
      decorations other than skin.... ie drums, leather, wood...... mainly
      looking in the area of spain but we will take anything..... help
      please....