[Authentic_SCA] Re: persona & religion

  • Michael Hurley
    Message 1 of 49 , Feb 4, 2008
      At 5:19 PM +0000 on 2/2/08, wodeford wrote:

      >--- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hurley <mephit@...> wrote:
      >> Indeed. And actually, I'd love to get a copy of the Wycliffite Bible
      >> to improve my Lollard portrayal. I've not really had a chance to
      >> look, but does anyone know if there's a version currently in print?
      >There's a version online: http://wesley.nnu.edu/biblical_studies/wycliffe/

      Excellent! Thanks! As I work in the design department of a printing
      company and do digital layout based on incunabula for fun, this may
      be my best bet. I could make my own Wicliffe Bible!

      >And there are several possibilities on Amazon.com, including this one:
      >http://www.amazon.com/First-English-Bible-Wycliffite-Literature/dp/0521880289/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201972619&sr=8-1
      >
      >> I think I'll need to pick up that book, actually. Sounds quite good.
      >> Another interesting book about the period is "Who Murdered Chaucer"
      >> by Terry Jones (yes, of Monty Python fame).
      >
      >I'll second that recommendation. Excellent read on the period and an
      >interesting theory.

      Glad to know I'm not the only one.
      --
      Auf wiedersehen!
      Michael

      "..No."

      -Real Genius
    • bec_tonkin
      Message 49 of 49 , Feb 23, 2008
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@...>
        wrote:

        > Gentles of The List,
        > while this thread is current - may I add another question?
        > Can anyone recommend a modern facsimile of a medieval Book of
        Hours or a Bible of the late 15th C.?

        For the type of Bible, the Latin Vulgate would be available to
        England in 1470-1500. Even printed copies. A whole Bible would be
        more expensive and less common than a Psalter (the Psalms). Amazon
        has plain modern printed Latin Vulgate Bibles for sale. You can also
        get facsimile Gutenberg bibles (http://www.greatsite.com/facsimile-
        reproductions/gutenberg-1455.html) but I think $9,500 might be e bit
        more than you'd want to pay...
        There are facsimile editions online, here's links to a couple:
        http://www.humi.keio.ac.jp/treasures/incunabula/B42/
        http://www.bl.uk/treasures/gutenberg/homepage.html
        It might be worth looking in a Catholic bookstore to see what they
        have or could order in.
        Alternatively, digital editions are relatively common, and you could
        print one out for personal use. Google around for one.

        Books of Hours were often used by lay people, more so than Bibles,
        but modern versions suffer from similar problems as Bibles -
        facsimiles are made with very high quality and are exorbitantly
        expensive, and making one yourself is very time consuming. Cheap ones
        don't seem to be around.
        The Artz Hours are online here:
        http://littlepeople.net/artzhours/
        A facsimile edition of the Simon Bening (c.1500) Book of Hours is
        available from the New York Public Library, but it says POA, which I
        would say means $$$.
        http://www.libraryshop.org/flowershours.html
        There is a Hypertext book of hours online at
        http://medievalist.net/hourstxt/home.htm
        which is useful in understanding how much and what is in a book of
        hours, if you decided to have a go at making one yourself.
        This site is also useful:
        http://www.candesign.com/pwhaynes/

        If you are not too concerned with having an extremely accurate book,
        one way to go might be to get the text of what you would like to see
        on display - either the Bible, the Psalms, or a Book of Hours, print
        it yourself in a suitable font, and hand-decorate it. Same method as
        used by Gutenberg, just rather different technology...

        Hope that helps,
        Rebecca

        PS - searching back through the archives here might bring up some
        useful info too.

        > As Christians in the Service of King Henry VII, my Lady and I
        have a small altar in our exhibition-level, period-furnished,
        sleeping tent, - and as an extra display item for this Seasion, I'm
        making a copy of a nice 15th C. little Prieu Dieu that I saw and
        measured-up in a Church in Venice in 2005; - and I'd love to gift my
        Lady with a facsimile prayer book to add to that little display.