Searching for info on a 15th century Irish woman

  • roisinaisolde
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2008
      I am looking for any information on Maire O Ciaragian. The only
      information I have found consists of no more than a sentance, and it
      is the same sentence in nearly every online source.

      "Maire o Ciaragain led Irish clans in revolt against the English in
      15th century."

      She is only mentioned in one book that I can find, and again it's but
      a sentence. This woman was obviously worthy of mentioning, but I can't
      figure out why there is no more information.

      Via research I have learned that O Ciaragain (or Kerrigan/Carrigan and
      any number of other variations) were a sept of Macguire in County
      Fermanagh and also a separate family in County Mayo in the Barony of
      Partirage. I am leaning towards the Fermanagh line due to the
      proximity to the vale and a rising English presence in Ulster. Also,
      the 1400's brought a heightened unrest within the now split Macguire
      clan as well as with the neighbouring O'Neills and O'Donnells.

      If anyone has any info, can point me in the right direction, or can
      shed some light on anything relating to this woman I would greatly
      appreciate it.

      Thanks,
      Roisin