persona & religion

  • oisswafford
    Message 1 of 49 , Jan 10, 2008
      Greetings,

      I am currently doing some persona development (Late Tudor, early
      Elizabethan English/Welsh) My dilema is this. I am a member of a
      religion that wasn't formed until the 19th century and I am unsure of
      how to respectively portray a religion I don't personally follow. I
      know that the SCA does't promote any religion but religion was a major
      part of life in our time period.

      So, I would like ideas of how to do this as well as how people who are
      members of religions that were in existance in period feel about
      people of other faiths portray someone of their faith. That's a
      really long sentance and I hope it doesn't confuse anyone, it confused
      me a little when I was typing it! :-)

      Thanks for your help
      Gwenllian
    • bec_tonkin
      Message 49 of 49 , Feb 23, 2008
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@...>
        wrote:

        > Gentles of The List,
        > while this thread is current - may I add another question?
        > Can anyone recommend a modern facsimile of a medieval Book of
        Hours or a Bible of the late 15th C.?

        For the type of Bible, the Latin Vulgate would be available to
        England in 1470-1500. Even printed copies. A whole Bible would be
        more expensive and less common than a Psalter (the Psalms). Amazon
        has plain modern printed Latin Vulgate Bibles for sale. You can also
        get facsimile Gutenberg bibles (http://www.greatsite.com/facsimile-
        reproductions/gutenberg-1455.html) but I think $9,500 might be e bit
        more than you'd want to pay...
        There are facsimile editions online, here's links to a couple:
        http://www.humi.keio.ac.jp/treasures/incunabula/B42/
        http://www.bl.uk/treasures/gutenberg/homepage.html
        It might be worth looking in a Catholic bookstore to see what they
        have or could order in.
        Alternatively, digital editions are relatively common, and you could
        print one out for personal use. Google around for one.

        Books of Hours were often used by lay people, more so than Bibles,
        but modern versions suffer from similar problems as Bibles -
        facsimiles are made with very high quality and are exorbitantly
        expensive, and making one yourself is very time consuming. Cheap ones
        don't seem to be around.
        The Artz Hours are online here:
        http://littlepeople.net/artzhours/
        A facsimile edition of the Simon Bening (c.1500) Book of Hours is
        available from the New York Public Library, but it says POA, which I
        would say means $$$.
        http://www.libraryshop.org/flowershours.html
        There is a Hypertext book of hours online at
        http://medievalist.net/hourstxt/home.htm
        which is useful in understanding how much and what is in a book of
        hours, if you decided to have a go at making one yourself.
        This site is also useful:
        http://www.candesign.com/pwhaynes/

        If you are not too concerned with having an extremely accurate book,
        one way to go might be to get the text of what you would like to see
        on display - either the Bible, the Psalms, or a Book of Hours, print
        it yourself in a suitable font, and hand-decorate it. Same method as
        used by Gutenberg, just rather different technology...

        Hope that helps,
        Rebecca

        PS - searching back through the archives here might bring up some
        useful info too.

        > As Christians in the Service of King Henry VII, my Lady and I
        have a small altar in our exhibition-level, period-furnished,
        sleeping tent, - and as an extra display item for this Seasion, I'm
        making a copy of a nice 15th C. little Prieu Dieu that I saw and
        measured-up in a Church in Venice in 2005; - and I'd love to gift my
        Lady with a facsimile prayer book to add to that little display.