Chinese Ink Paste

  • kirsa_debteri
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2008
      hi :)

      I'm currently working having a seal casted in bronze. I will be able
      to use wax, but I would have also liked to use chinese red ink paste.
      I found a place where it seems I could get some pigments.

      but I dunno at all how is that paste made. and if the pigments I
      found would be appropriate. I'd need the receipe to do that, but I
      didn't find any revelant information yet.
      does someone know ? I'm trying to reenact here Mongol between 1200-
      1300 (but since probably the seals came from originally china, I'm
      basing my research on china)
      I based my seal on an existing find and on the fact that guyuk's seal
      on some letter sent to a pope was printed in ink instead of wax.

      The store where I found the pigments:
      http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/
      (you go under Artists' Pigments)
      The bronze seal find from a sunken Mongol ship:
      http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/5144/mongolbronzesealwg8.jpg
      the printed seal:
      http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6033/kuyukkhanseallrtd1.jpg

      Also, this will all be presented in a box. Anyone would have any
      existing period reference to Mongol boxes ? or painted motifs I could
      use ?

      Since it will be in a box, I've considered buying a small lock.
      I've seen two examples on ebay which striked my imagination:

      A copper Fish lock:
      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=150201071632&_trksid=p3984.cWAT
      .m240.lVI

      A copper Horse lock (this one is prefered, but it looks in less good
      condition, overall.)
      http://cgi.ebay.ca/Chinese-Old-Bronze-Lock-Horse-
      a1074_W0QQitemZ280188862200QQihZ018QQcategoryZ3557QQcmdZViewItem

      would you know if the use of these decorative locks would be
      appropriate for the period ?

      I know it's a lot of question. Thanks to all that will have some clue
      about all this stuff :)

      -Kirsa
      La Garnison du Dragonet
      East Kingdom