Re: [Authentic_SCA] Appropriateness of "White"

  • kittencat3@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2008
      Linen - I believe the traditional method to lighten this to the desired
      shade of whiteness was to expose the damp cloth to sunlight while laying it on
      grass. The chlorophyll in the grass would react with the light to bleach the
      fabric.

      Wool - white wool takes dye pretty well. If there's a difference between
      modern pure white wool and white fleece/winter white wool, it's not really
      noticeable in terms of period dyes. Also, wool was scoured with urine to remove
      dirt and excess lanolin before processing.

      sarah Davies

    • sue_clemenger
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2008
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Natalie W." <equigal_99@...>
        wrote:

        > Greetings,
        > Unlurking for a minute to ask a question.
        >
        > How appropriate is truly "white" fabric (linen, wool etc) for
        fabric in northern europe of the 9th-14th centuries?

        I second what the other responders have said--white wool would have
        been relatively white and not unknown (didn't the Cistercians wear
        white habits? or was that another order?), and that white linen would
        have been achievable for folks in that time. I believe that for
        white silk, it'd depend on the source of the silk, as some critters
        will produce white silk, and some will produce tans and honey
        colors. There are lots of references to white silk in the 16th
        century--dunno about earlier. That said, when I buy linen fabric for
        undergarments (I get it 20 yds at a time from fabricstore.com), I do
        go for the "bleached white" rather than the "optical white."
        --Maire
      • Ann Catelli
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2008
          --- kittencat3@... wrote:

          > Linen - I believe the traditional method to lighten
          > this to the desired
          > shade of whiteness was to expose the damp cloth to
          > sunlight while laying it on
          > grass. The chlorophyll in the grass would react
          > with the light to bleach the fabric.
          >
          > sarah Davies

          The chlorophyll in grass or other plants reacts with
          light to produce Oxygen, which bleaches the linen.

          Chlorophyll, as many of us may remember from sliding
          our knees on grass, produces a lovely green stain.

          Ann in CT

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • kittencat3@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2008
            Same difference - it's the chlorophyll and the sunlight. I wasn't
            suggesting grinding the cloth into the grass, after all...:)

            Sarah