Elizabethan era bedding

  • Madeleine Delacroix
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 2, 2008
      Hi all, I have scanned through posts relating to this, but since I
      can't find anything specifically online..Do anyone you know what a
      middle class Elizabethan would have used for bedding..linen and wool??
      cotton would have been too expensive I think..any ideas on
      this??thanks for any input..

      Madeleine Delacroix
    • kazoshea@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 2, 2008
        In a message dated 1/2/2008 5:21:59 PM Central Standard Time,
        madeleinedelacroix@... writes:

        Do anyone you know what a
        middle class Elizabethan would have used for bedding..linen and wool??
        cotton would have been too expensive I think..any ideas on
        this??thanks for any input..

        Linen/Wool blend fabric or straight wool. Cotton would have been way too
        expensive to any but the Upper classes. The same goes for silk.

        Iago

      • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 3, 2008
          Quilts were used. The outer layers were plain, usually off white,
          linen. The filling seemed to vary a bit. Sometimes wool batting,
          sometimes left over rags. I'd imagine a middle class person would use
          rags rather than buying something special. There is a medieval quilting
          yahoo group, if you're interested in that.
          :)
          Rosie- not the quilting expert, but has read a bit about it.
        • Karen
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 3, 2008
            You can get a lot of interesting descriptions of Elizabethan bedding in the wills of that era (see http://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Libr/Wills/WillsIntro.htm for some examples) -- I've collected some links on this subject at http://www.larsdatter.com/beds.htm (though for the V&A examples, go to http://images.vam.ac.uk and enter in the museum numbers there).

            There are more links on this general subject at http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?action=displaycat&catid=642 too.

            Karen
          • kittencat3@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 3, 2008
              Henry VIII's death inventory gives some clues. Linen or cotton quilts,
              stuffed with wool, were used *on* the beds. Quilted silk coverlets were often
              used as the topper. These were stuffed with cotton, oddly enough.

              Sarah Davies

            • Labhaoise O'Beachain
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 4, 2008
                I supposed silk filled quilts would be too expensive for even a King in
                period?
                Labhaoise
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, kittencat3@... wrote:
                > Henry VIII's death inventory gives some clues. Linen or cotton
                quilts,
                > stuffed with wool, were used *on* the beds. Quilted silk coverlets
                were often
                > used as the topper. These were stuffed with cotton, oddly enough.
                >
                > Sarah Davies
              • borderlands15213
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 4, 2008
                  I know Sarah can and will elucidate further on the subject of quilted
                  bedding, since it's one of her areas of expertise, but I'm going to
                  jump in here, anyway. In Henry VIII's time, *cotton* was rather
                  expensive. Any common man might have wool bedding to warm his
                  slumbers. Wool was produced in England and in many countries, but in
                  England cotton had to be imported, I believe.
                  And Henry doesn't seem to have been a man to be balked when it came to
                  his personal comfort, pleasure, or splendor.

                  Yseult the Gentle

                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Labhaoise O'Beachain"

                • kittencat3@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 4, 2008
                    Silk was not used for quilt batting in period, and as far as I know, silk
                    batts are modern (as in, within the last ten years or so). Japanese sashiko
                    work (which is post-period) is stuffed exclusively with cotton, as are Turkish
                    yorgan (heavily stuffed quilts), Turkish quilted coats, and all the surviving
                    European bedquilts from the 14th, 15th, and 16th centuries.

                    Sarah Davies, OL
                    East

                  • kittencat3@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 4, 2008
                      Yseult - you're absolutely right about Henry. Check out his death inventory
                      for the shock of your life - he had EVERYTHING imaginable, including silver
                      knitting needles and two small linen quilts used as bathmats. It's almost
                      terrifying to read.

                      Sarah Davies

                    • Lorine Horvath
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 4, 2008
                        Somehow I've been fascinated by this thread, despite my usual interest
                        falling 1000 years earlier. Are there any down-filled blankets? Really
                        only cotton? No wool? Inquiring minds...

                        Fina

                        --
                        Also? I can kill you with my brain.

                        River
                        Firefly

                      • wodeford
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 4, 2008
                          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, kittencat3@... wrote:

                          > Silk was not used for quilt batting in period, and as far as I know,
                          silk
                          > batts are modern (as in, within the last ten years or so). Japanese
                          sashiko
                          > work (which is post-period) is stuffed exclusively with cotton, as
                          are Turkish
                          > yorgan (heavily stuffed quilts), Turkish quilted coats, and all the
                          surviving
                          > European bedquilts from the 14th, 15th, and 16th centuries.

                          While this doesn't help in terms of English bedclothes, descriptions
                          of "padded" silk robes are found in the literature of Heian Japan
                          (794-1185 CE). Mawata were made simply by stretching out a silk cocoon
                          into a flat pad. Since these still had the gummy sericin in them, they
                          could be laid between a lining and outer fabric for winter garments. I
                          have not been able to find any description (admittedly in translations
                          of documents into English from Japanese) of anything resembling
                          quilting stitches to hold the mawata in place. Presumably the sericin
                          was sufficient to do the job.

                          Sashiko doesn't even begin as a quilting technique - it starts as
                          darning: adding stitches to give strength to the work clothes of Edo
                          period Japanese peasants. The quilted aspect evolves out of that.

                          Saionji no Hanae
                          West Kingdom
                        • kittencat3@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 5, 2008
                            No down comforters as we know them, although there's the equivalent of a
                            bed-in-a-bag (actually, several quilts plus a red cotton travel bag for carrying
                            them in for the "The Bedde of Allensown" (bed of Alencon). There were over
                            sixty linen quilts, all stuffed with wool, and about thirty silk quilts, all
                            stuffed with cotton.

                            An essay about the quilts (especially one I believe was originally Catherine
                            of Aragon's wedding quilt) will be in the forthcoming volume of Medieval
                            Clothing and Textiles, published in April. I just mailed off the galley proofs
                            on Monday...:)

                            Sarah Davies

                          • kittencat3@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 5, 2008
                              That sounds fascinating! Can you point out any books that describe this?
                              Someone on the Quilt History List was interested in silk batting a while back
                              and will be very interested.

                              Also, how common was yosegire work? I know about the 16th century kimono
                              and would love to know more.

                              Sarah Davies

                            • wodeford
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 5, 2008
                                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, kittencat3@... wrote:

                                > That sounds fascinating! Can you point out any books that describe
                                this?

                                Sorry, I'm about to dash out the door to Twelfth Night and I'll have
                                to try to remember which diaries it's mentioned in.

                                > Also, how common was yosegire work?

                                Pieced garments? It starts with kesa, a sort of shawl worn by Buddhist
                                monks. Originally as a sign of their poverty, these were pieced
                                together from rags and sewn into a mantle big enough for the mendicant
                                to wear. As time went on, these "rags" were often the finery of the
                                deceased, donated to the monks. Some kesa of this sort are quite opulent.

                                Again, I'll have to get back to you with more, but Seiroku Noma's
                                Japanese Costume and Textile Arts has there's a good discussion of
                                when and why piecing becomes fashionable in the 16th century. I have a
                                few examples on my web page (scroll down, they're toward the bottom):
                                http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm

                                Saionji no Hanae
                                West
                              • i_odlin
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 5, 2008
                                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "borderlands15213"
                                  <borderlands15213@...> wrote:
                                  > In Henry VIII's time, *cotton* was rather expensive. Any common man
                                  > might have wool bedding to warm his slumbers.

                                  A word of caution on research in this subject:

                                  Throughout much of period, the word "cotton" meant 'fluffy wool.'

                                  As with 'corn' or 'scarlet,' this can cause a bit of confusion if you
                                  are careless or simply didn't know.

                                  [This is not meant to imply that I think anyone in the thread thus far
                                  has got it wrong. It is simply and only meant as an FYI for anyone who
                                  might not already know. C'd my A enough yet? :) ]

                                  -Iain of Malagentia
                                • Labhaoise O'Beachain
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 5, 2008
                                    (MODERATOR NOTE: please sign all posts to this list. Thank you, Despina)

                                    > As with 'corn' or 'scarlet,' this can cause a bit of confusion if you
                                    > are careless or simply didn't know. *SNIP*

                                    Corn means simply grain.... but scarlet???
                                  • kittencat3@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 5, 2008
                                      The context of the entries in the death inventory made it very clear that
                                      the silk quilts were stuffed with cotton, not wool. Also, *every* surviving
                                      quilt from prior to 1700, without exception, is stuffed with cotton batting. I
                                      think it's pretty safe to say that in this case, cotton was cotton and not
                                      wool. :D

                                      Sarah Davies

                                    • kittencat3@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jan 5, 2008

                                      • kittencat3@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 5, 2008
                                          "Scarlet" originally meant a particular grade of fine wool cloth. It was
                                          often dyed with expensive cochineal or madder reds, so the name of the cloth
                                          gradually transferred to the color.

                                          Sarah Davies

                                        • Labhaoise O'Beachain
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jan 6, 2008
                                            Some things NEVER change...
                                            LOL

                                            It makes sense tho, you wouldn't waste expensive or complex dying
                                            processes on cheap or poor wearing cloth. And you might even
                                            (personnally or culturally) choose to use the rare/expensive dyes to
                                            accent and display your ownership of this fine wool cloth
                                            Labhaoise(who often asks why)

                                            kittencat3@... wrote:
                                            > "Scarlet" originally meant a particular grade of fine wool cloth.
                                            It was
                                            > often dyed with expensive cochineal or madder reds, so the name of
                                            the cloth
                                            > gradually transferred to the color.
                                            >
                                            > Sarah Davies
                                          • sue_clemenger
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jan 6, 2008
                                              <labhaoise_obeachain@...> wrote:

                                              > > As with 'corn' or 'scarlet,' this can cause a bit of confusion if
                                              you
                                              > > are careless or simply didn't know. *SNIP*
                                              >
                                              > Corn means simply grain.... but scarlet???

                                              Yup. "Scarlet" refers to some specific kinds of wool cloth, and not
                                              just the color that we associate with the word.
                                              --Maire
                                            • kittencat3@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jan 6, 2008
                                                Conspicuous consumption has always been with us. Henry's death inventory
                                                includes a note of a patchwork quilt of orange and purple, almost certainly as
                                                a means of showing that he was rich enough to afford these colors.

                                                Sarah

                                              • Chris Laning
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jan 14, 2008
                                                  On Jan 6, 2008, at 7:42 AM, sue_clemenger wrote:

                                                  > Yup. "Scarlet" refers to some specific kinds of wool cloth, and not
                                                  > just the color that we associate with the word.
                                                  > --Maire

                                                  Documents describing such things as "a green scarlet" are certainly a
                                                  clue here :)