Re: [Authentic_SCA] Greetings and Cooking

  • Lilinah
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
      Alan de Fecamp wrote:
      >Always interested in cooking, coming back to the SCA has peeked my
      >interested at period meals/receipts. Can someone point me towards a
      >source either on the web or better a book.

      First, I have two questions for you:
      1. What culture(s) and/or time period(s) interest you?
      2. A better book than what?

      Please let me know and i'll be happy to help.

      Second, generally speaking, I'm quite fond of the SCA-Cooks list -
      Subscribe: http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/sca-cooks-ansteorra.org
      Archive: http://lists.ansteorra.org/pipermail/sca-cooks-ansteorra.org

      SCA-Cooks is a bit chatty and high traffic, and it can wander off
      topic especially during Pennsic and around the winter holidays. But
      there are a number of highly informed people on the list, and nearly
      everyone is quite happy to help, either with book recommendations, or
      specific recipes and feast trouble shooting.

      In Service,
      --
      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
      the persona formerly known as Anahita

      My LibraryThing
    • shadow_mage_97
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2008
        Thanks all for the information. I spent a enjoyable day yesterday
        going to the various sites. I dont imagine today will be any
        different :-)

        > 1. What culture(s) and/or time period(s) interest you?

        Always a good question, Sicilian Norman 12th century.

        > 2. A better book than what?

        I have a nice modern cook book on Norman cuisine, which I enjoy but
        alas I do not think it is very period. I also have a number of other
        modern cook books, and a 18th century cook book but period wise I am
        starting from scratch. I'll be happy to entertain an opportunity to
        pick up some more books :-)

        > Please let me know and i'll be happy to help.

        thanks, ill be sure to check out the kingdom sites as well.

        YOS

        Alan
      • Lilinah
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2008
          Alan de Fecamp wrote:
          >Always interested in cooking, coming back to the SCA has peeked my
          >interested at period meals/receipts. Can someone point me towards a
          >source either on the web or better a book.

          And i responded:
          >First, I have two questions for you:
          >1. What culture(s) and/or time period(s) interest you?
          >2. A better book than what?

          Erk. Argh. I misread your post. I can see clearly that you mean
          better a book than a web site.

          Sorry about that.

          I keep my first question. There is a surprising amount of info
          available on food before 1601. I've cooked feasts focused on specific
          cultures, as others on this list have. I haven't found one single
          book that i'd recommend. A personal favorite is:
          The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy.
          Odile Redon, Francoise Saban, and Silvano Serventi.
          Chicago and London: The University of Chicago Press
          (available in both hardcover and paperback)

          It has the original recipe in translation and the authors' modern
          worked out version together with commentary. The book includes the
          original recipes in their original languages, but for reasons i don't
          completely understand, they are all at the back of the book. Note
          that while i don't always agree with the authors' versions, they are
          all quite excellent, so if you a new "period" cook, you can rely on
          them to guide you in the right direction.

          There are two historical Italian cookbooks on-line
          The 14th/15th C. Anonymous Venetian
          http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/libro.html
          and
          The 14th/15th C. Anonymous Tuscan
          http://www.geocities.com/anahita_whitehorse/LibroDellaCocina.html

          And a friend has an historical cookbook review page. I don't agree
          100 per cent, but he gives good overviews:
          http://www.whirlwind-design.com/madbaker/biblio.html

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2008
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Lilinah <lilinah@...> wrote:

            Thanks all! for your suggestions. I spent a enjoyable week reading
            several sites. With a couple of recipies in hand I even tried them out
            on the family this weekend. Thumbs up all around especially with the
            boys who liked the spice cake :-) I might have to wait for some of the
            cook books people have mentioned but the web was a great start.

            In Service

            Alan