Re:Greetings and Cooking

  • urthmomma@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
      Well met, Lord Alan,

      Welcome back.

      A highly recommended site for period cookbooks is
      http://www.uwm.edu/~carlin/ scroll to the cookery and culinary link boxes,
      click and have a comfy seat and a cup of your favorite beverage. Lots of links
      to period documents and dern near everything medieval.

      For a walk down memory lane, peruse Cariadoc's Miscellany for recipes :
      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html

      For a Mother-of-all-SCA-A&S-links page :
      http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/

      Books --
      There are still a lot of bad medieval cookbooks out there, but Pleyn Delit is
      still good

      http://www.amazon.com/Pleyn-Delit-Medieval-Cookery-Modern/dp/0802076327/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199285004&sr=1-1

      The Medieval Kitchen

      http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Kitchen-Recipes-France-Italy/dp/0226706850/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199285127&sr=1-1

      All the Kings Cooks by Brears - is good for worked out Tudor recipes,if you
      can find it.

      Enjoy!
      Olwen of Bucklond
      MoAS, Barony of Rivenstar, Midrealm
      In a message dated 1/2/2008 4:42:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > Always interested in cooking, coming back to the SCA has peeked my
      > interested at period meals/receipts. Can someone point me towards a
      > source either on the web or better a book.
      >
      > YOS
      >
      > Lord Alan de Fecamp
      > Kingdom of Meridies

    • Lilinah
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
        Alan de Fecamp wrote:
        >Always interested in cooking, coming back to the SCA has peeked my
        >interested at period meals/receipts. Can someone point me towards a
        >source either on the web or better a book.

        First, I have two questions for you:
        1. What culture(s) and/or time period(s) interest you?
        2. A better book than what?

        Please let me know and i'll be happy to help.

        Second, generally speaking, I'm quite fond of the SCA-Cooks list -
        Subscribe: http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/sca-cooks-ansteorra.org
        Archive: http://lists.ansteorra.org/pipermail/sca-cooks-ansteorra.org

        SCA-Cooks is a bit chatty and high traffic, and it can wander off
        topic especially during Pennsic and around the winter holidays. But
        there are a number of highly informed people on the list, and nearly
        everyone is quite happy to help, either with book recommendations, or
        specific recipes and feast trouble shooting.

        In Service,
        --
        Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
        the persona formerly known as Anahita

        My LibraryThing
      • shadow_mage_97
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2008
          Thanks all for the information. I spent a enjoyable day yesterday
          going to the various sites. I dont imagine today will be any
          different :-)

          > 1. What culture(s) and/or time period(s) interest you?

          Always a good question, Sicilian Norman 12th century.

          > 2. A better book than what?

          I have a nice modern cook book on Norman cuisine, which I enjoy but
          alas I do not think it is very period. I also have a number of other
          modern cook books, and a 18th century cook book but period wise I am
          starting from scratch. I'll be happy to entertain an opportunity to
          pick up some more books :-)

          > Please let me know and i'll be happy to help.

          thanks, ill be sure to check out the kingdom sites as well.

          YOS

          Alan
        • Lilinah
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2008
            Alan de Fecamp wrote:
            >Always interested in cooking, coming back to the SCA has peeked my
            >interested at period meals/receipts. Can someone point me towards a
            >source either on the web or better a book.

            And i responded:
            >First, I have two questions for you:
            >1. What culture(s) and/or time period(s) interest you?
            >2. A better book than what?

            Erk. Argh. I misread your post. I can see clearly that you mean
            better a book than a web site.

            Sorry about that.

            I keep my first question. There is a surprising amount of info
            available on food before 1601. I've cooked feasts focused on specific
            cultures, as others on this list have. I haven't found one single
            book that i'd recommend. A personal favorite is:
            The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy.
            Odile Redon, Francoise Saban, and Silvano Serventi.
            Chicago and London: The University of Chicago Press
            (available in both hardcover and paperback)

            It has the original recipe in translation and the authors' modern
            worked out version together with commentary. The book includes the
            original recipes in their original languages, but for reasons i don't
            completely understand, they are all at the back of the book. Note
            that while i don't always agree with the authors' versions, they are
            all quite excellent, so if you a new "period" cook, you can rely on
            them to guide you in the right direction.

            There are two historical Italian cookbooks on-line
            The 14th/15th C. Anonymous Venetian
            http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/libro.html
            and
            The 14th/15th C. Anonymous Tuscan
            http://www.geocities.com/anahita_whitehorse/LibroDellaCocina.html

            And a friend has an historical cookbook review page. I don't agree
            100 per cent, but he gives good overviews:
            http://www.whirlwind-design.com/madbaker/biblio.html

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 7, 2008
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Lilinah <lilinah@...> wrote:

              Thanks all! for your suggestions. I spent a enjoyable week reading
              several sites. With a couple of recipies in hand I even tried them out
              on the family this weekend. Thumbs up all around especially with the
              boys who liked the spice cake :-) I might have to wait for some of the
              cook books people have mentioned but the web was a great start.

              In Service

              Alan