Re:Greetings and Cooking

  • urthmomma@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
      Well met, Lord Alan,

      Welcome back.

      A highly recommended site for period cookbooks is
      http://www.uwm.edu/~carlin/ scroll to the cookery and culinary link boxes,
      click and have a comfy seat and a cup of your favorite beverage. Lots of links
      to period documents and dern near everything medieval.

      For a walk down memory lane, peruse Cariadoc's Miscellany for recipes :
      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html

      For a Mother-of-all-SCA-A&S-links page :
      http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/

      Books --
      There are still a lot of bad medieval cookbooks out there, but Pleyn Delit is
      still good

      http://www.amazon.com/Pleyn-Delit-Medieval-Cookery-Modern/dp/0802076327/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199285004&sr=1-1

      The Medieval Kitchen

      http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Kitchen-Recipes-France-Italy/dp/0226706850/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199285127&sr=1-1

      All the Kings Cooks by Brears - is good for worked out Tudor recipes,if you
      can find it.

      Enjoy!
      Olwen of Bucklond
      MoAS, Barony of Rivenstar, Midrealm

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
        In a message dated 1/2/2008 4:42:57 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

        <<Always interested in cooking, coming back to the SCA has peeked my
        interested at period meals/receipts. Can someone point me towards a
        source either on the web or better a book. >>

        There is a Medieval and Renaissance Food Homepage at
        _http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html_
        (http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html)

        Which has links to both recipe sources and articles about period food - a
        great place to start!

        Brangwayna Morgan

      • Lilinah
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
          Alan de Fecamp wrote:
          >Always interested in cooking, coming back to the SCA has peeked my
          >interested at period meals/receipts. Can someone point me towards a
          >source either on the web or better a book.

          First, I have two questions for you:
          1. What culture(s) and/or time period(s) interest you?
          2. A better book than what?

          Please let me know and i'll be happy to help.

          Second, generally speaking, I'm quite fond of the SCA-Cooks list -
          Subscribe: http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/sca-cooks-ansteorra.org
          Archive: http://lists.ansteorra.org/pipermail/sca-cooks-ansteorra.org

          SCA-Cooks is a bit chatty and high traffic, and it can wander off
          topic especially during Pennsic and around the winter holidays. But
          there are a number of highly informed people on the list, and nearly
          everyone is quite happy to help, either with book recommendations, or
          specific recipes and feast trouble shooting.

          In Service,
          --
          Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
          the persona formerly known as Anahita

          My LibraryThing
        • shadow_mage_97
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2008
            Thanks all for the information. I spent a enjoyable day yesterday
            going to the various sites. I dont imagine today will be any
            different :-)

            > 1. What culture(s) and/or time period(s) interest you?

            Always a good question, Sicilian Norman 12th century.

            > 2. A better book than what?

            I have a nice modern cook book on Norman cuisine, which I enjoy but
            alas I do not think it is very period. I also have a number of other
            modern cook books, and a 18th century cook book but period wise I am
            starting from scratch. I'll be happy to entertain an opportunity to
            pick up some more books :-)

            > Please let me know and i'll be happy to help.

            thanks, ill be sure to check out the kingdom sites as well.

            YOS

            Alan
          • Lilinah
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2008
              Alan de Fecamp wrote:
              >Always interested in cooking, coming back to the SCA has peeked my
              >interested at period meals/receipts. Can someone point me towards a
              >source either on the web or better a book.

              And i responded:
              >First, I have two questions for you:
              >1. What culture(s) and/or time period(s) interest you?
              >2. A better book than what?

              Erk. Argh. I misread your post. I can see clearly that you mean
              better a book than a web site.

              Sorry about that.

              I keep my first question. There is a surprising amount of info
              available on food before 1601. I've cooked feasts focused on specific
              cultures, as others on this list have. I haven't found one single
              book that i'd recommend. A personal favorite is:
              The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy.
              Odile Redon, Francoise Saban, and Silvano Serventi.
              Chicago and London: The University of Chicago Press
              (available in both hardcover and paperback)

              It has the original recipe in translation and the authors' modern
              worked out version together with commentary. The book includes the
              original recipes in their original languages, but for reasons i don't
              completely understand, they are all at the back of the book. Note
              that while i don't always agree with the authors' versions, they are
              all quite excellent, so if you a new "period" cook, you can rely on
              them to guide you in the right direction.

              There are two historical Italian cookbooks on-line
              The 14th/15th C. Anonymous Venetian
              http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/libro.html
              and
              The 14th/15th C. Anonymous Tuscan
              http://www.geocities.com/anahita_whitehorse/LibroDellaCocina.html

              And a friend has an historical cookbook review page. I don't agree
              100 per cent, but he gives good overviews:
              http://www.whirlwind-design.com/madbaker/biblio.html

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 7, 2008
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Lilinah <lilinah@...> wrote:

                Thanks all! for your suggestions. I spent a enjoyable week reading
                several sites. With a couple of recipies in hand I even tried them out
                on the family this weekend. Thumbs up all around especially with the
                boys who liked the spice cake :-) I might have to wait for some of the
                cook books people have mentioned but the web was a great start.

                In Service

                Alan