Greetings and Cooking

  • shadow_mage_97
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
      Greetings All

      I am new to the list so I thought I would say greetings and a Happy
      New Years to all. I stepped away from the SCA for a number of years
      and did the LH and 18th century Re-enactor thing but I am glad I am
      back. Spending some time with other historical groups it is nice to
      see a list on authenticity in the SCA. My good wife who has not been
      in the SCA cringes at the florescent tents she has seen in some of my
      SCA war photos, as opposed to the neatly lined tents in the Civil War
      reenactments. As with other historical groups I always thought that
      striving towards authenticity (money, time and health will allow) in
      the Society was a good thing.

      Always interested in cooking, coming back to the SCA has peeked my
      interested at period meals/receipts. Can someone point me towards a
      source either on the web or better a book.

      YOS

      Lord Alan de Fecamp
      Kingdom of Meridies
    • Terri Morgan
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
        Lord Alan,
        If you are of a mind to sign up on one more mailing list (I warn you, it
        is high volume but the archives are a wonderful resource), you might try the
        SCA-Cooks list.
        Sca-cooks@...

        in service,
        Hrothny
      • urthmomma@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
          Well met, Lord Alan,

          Welcome back.

          A highly recommended site for period cookbooks is
          http://www.uwm.edu/~carlin/ scroll to the cookery and culinary link boxes,
          click and have a comfy seat and a cup of your favorite beverage. Lots of links
          to period documents and dern near everything medieval.

          For a walk down memory lane, peruse Cariadoc's Miscellany for recipes :
          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html

          For a Mother-of-all-SCA-A&S-links page :
          http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/

          Books --
          There are still a lot of bad medieval cookbooks out there, but Pleyn Delit is
          still good

          http://www.amazon.com/Pleyn-Delit-Medieval-Cookery-Modern/dp/0802076327/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199285004&sr=1-1

          The Medieval Kitchen

          http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Kitchen-Recipes-France-Italy/dp/0226706850/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199285127&sr=1-1

          All the Kings Cooks by Brears - is good for worked out Tudor recipes,if you
          can find it.

          Enjoy!
          Olwen of Bucklond
          MoAS, Barony of Rivenstar, Midrealm

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
            In a message dated 1/2/2008 4:42:57 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

            <<Always interested in cooking, coming back to the SCA has peeked my
            interested at period meals/receipts. Can someone point me towards a
            source either on the web or better a book. >>

            There is a Medieval and Renaissance Food Homepage at
            _http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html_
            (http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html)

            Which has links to both recipe sources and articles about period food - a
            great place to start!

            Brangwayna Morgan

          • Lilinah
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
              Alan de Fecamp wrote:
              >Always interested in cooking, coming back to the SCA has peeked my
              >interested at period meals/receipts. Can someone point me towards a
              >source either on the web or better a book.

              First, I have two questions for you:
              1. What culture(s) and/or time period(s) interest you?
              2. A better book than what?

              Please let me know and i'll be happy to help.

              Second, generally speaking, I'm quite fond of the SCA-Cooks list -
              Subscribe: http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/sca-cooks-ansteorra.org
              Archive: http://lists.ansteorra.org/pipermail/sca-cooks-ansteorra.org

              SCA-Cooks is a bit chatty and high traffic, and it can wander off
              topic especially during Pennsic and around the winter holidays. But
              there are a number of highly informed people on the list, and nearly
              everyone is quite happy to help, either with book recommendations, or
              specific recipes and feast trouble shooting.

              In Service,
              --
              Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
              the persona formerly known as Anahita

              My LibraryThing
            • shadow_mage_97
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 3, 2008
                Thanks all for the information. I spent a enjoyable day yesterday
                going to the various sites. I dont imagine today will be any
                different :-)

                > 1. What culture(s) and/or time period(s) interest you?

                Always a good question, Sicilian Norman 12th century.

                > 2. A better book than what?

                I have a nice modern cook book on Norman cuisine, which I enjoy but
                alas I do not think it is very period. I also have a number of other
                modern cook books, and a 18th century cook book but period wise I am
                starting from scratch. I'll be happy to entertain an opportunity to
                pick up some more books :-)

                > Please let me know and i'll be happy to help.

                thanks, ill be sure to check out the kingdom sites as well.

                YOS

                Alan
              • Lilinah
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 3, 2008
                  Alan de Fecamp wrote:
                  >Always interested in cooking, coming back to the SCA has peeked my
                  >interested at period meals/receipts. Can someone point me towards a
                  >source either on the web or better a book.

                  And i responded:
                  >First, I have two questions for you:
                  >1. What culture(s) and/or time period(s) interest you?
                  >2. A better book than what?

                  Erk. Argh. I misread your post. I can see clearly that you mean
                  better a book than a web site.

                  Sorry about that.

                  I keep my first question. There is a surprising amount of info
                  available on food before 1601. I've cooked feasts focused on specific
                  cultures, as others on this list have. I haven't found one single
                  book that i'd recommend. A personal favorite is:
                  The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy.
                  Odile Redon, Francoise Saban, and Silvano Serventi.
                  Chicago and London: The University of Chicago Press
                  (available in both hardcover and paperback)

                  It has the original recipe in translation and the authors' modern
                  worked out version together with commentary. The book includes the
                  original recipes in their original languages, but for reasons i don't
                  completely understand, they are all at the back of the book. Note
                  that while i don't always agree with the authors' versions, they are
                  all quite excellent, so if you a new "period" cook, you can rely on
                  them to guide you in the right direction.

                  There are two historical Italian cookbooks on-line
                  The 14th/15th C. Anonymous Venetian
                  http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/libro.html
                  and
                  The 14th/15th C. Anonymous Tuscan
                  http://www.geocities.com/anahita_whitehorse/LibroDellaCocina.html

                  And a friend has an historical cookbook review page. I don't agree
                  100 per cent, but he gives good overviews:
                  http://www.whirlwind-design.com/madbaker/biblio.html

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 7, 2008
                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Lilinah <lilinah@...> wrote:

                    Thanks all! for your suggestions. I spent a enjoyable week reading
                    several sites. With a couple of recipies in hand I even tried them out
                    on the family this weekend. Thumbs up all around especially with the
                    boys who liked the spice cake :-) I might have to wait for some of the
                    cook books people have mentioned but the web was a great start.

                    In Service

                    Alan