Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: New Guy on the Block

  • Greg Lindahl
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 28, 2007
      On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 03:38:00PM -0700, Sandra Dodd wrote:

      > And broadside ballads, though the tradition increased after "our
      > period," did definitely start before the 17th century. Broadsides
      > were current events set to known tunes. Kinda like political or
      > social humor people watch on YouTube now.

      Some broadsides, yes. Some were to "a new tune", and many were not
      about current events.

      > The difference is they were "filking" period tunes! And SCA folk can
      > do that, too.

      Indeed, they can. I've made a collection of tunes used in broadside
      ballads for exactly this purpose:

      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ballads/music.html

      -- Gregory
    • Rob Lewis
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2008
        At Estrella it has been the rule there must be a fire extinguisher VISIBLE
        outside of each tent. When we were still at Estrella Mountain Park, I
        believe that was the Autocrats interpretation of the local Fire Marshalls
        ruling, and theoretically they did come out to do spot checks on some of the
        camps. Now that we are at a festival campground, I don't know if the
        autocrats are just keeping this as part of the site rules, or if it is
        imposed by the site owner, or even the local Fire Marshall (completely
        different person from the other site, at least 90 miles between sites and
        they are in different counties.)

        I think they MIGHT be willing to allow a LARGE bucket of sand to replace an
        extinguisher, but having heard the "discussion" between the person in charge
        of the period camping area and someone representing the Autocrats discuss
        this 4 or 5 years ago, I can't be positive.

        Ivan Kosinski
        College of Brymstonne
        Atenveldt

        MKA Rob Lewis