Re: Fire Safety

  • Pete
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 24, 2007
      Greetings.

      Like Folo, my experiences are based on LH displays where the public
      are present in large numbers.

      In these circumstances we mandate a fire extinguisher adjacent to
      every fire and use a rough hessian sack to cover them at all times.

      The other measure is that all fires are the responsibility of an
      adult, at all times while lit, and that adult knows the location and
      how to use the fire extinguisher for that fire.

      To be honest, making special boxes painted red and with a special
      symbol on it is making a large job out of a fairly simple problem.

      Pete - Guthroth
    • Folo Watkins
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 25, 2007
        >In these circumstances we mandate a fire extinguisher adjacent to
        >every fire and use a rough hessian sack to cover them at all times.

        I had never thought of the sack; I presume that you are referring to
        what we in the States just call jute burlap?

        We also keep a bucket of water by the fire; when our firebox caught
        fire at a show last year--it was windy--the water was invaluable!

        Cheers, Folo
      • lonewolfyca
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 26, 2007
          Pardon my interruption;

          I am wondering if anyone has a good suggestion (especially if it's
          online) of where to buy a small but easy to use (so my kids could
          figure it out if necessary) and good quality extinguisher? At our
          house (we have a woodstove) we do have one here, that belongs to our
          landlord.. but we're moving to a different house that doesn't come
          with one next month, so it would be nice to have one anyway.

          Thank you kindly for your time!
          Adrienne of RavenShore
          Kingdom of the West

          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Pete" <guthroth@...> wrote:

          > Greetings.
          >
          > Like Folo, my experiences are based on LH displays where the public
          > are present in large numbers.
          >
          > In these circumstances we mandate a fire extinguisher adjacent to
          > every fire and use a rough hessian sack to cover them at all times.
          >
          > The other measure is that all fires are the responsibility of an
          > adult, at all times while lit, and that adult knows the location and
          > how to use the fire extinguisher for that fire.
          >
          > To be honest, making special boxes painted red and with a special
          > symbol on it is making a large job out of a fairly simple problem.
          >

          > Pete - Guthroth

        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 26, 2007
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "lonewolfyca" <apollia@...> wrote:

            > Pardon my interruption;
            >
            > I am wondering if anyone has a good suggestion (especially if it's
            > online) of where to buy a small but easy to use (so my kids could
            > figure it out if necessary) and good quality extinguisher?

            Any good hardware store should have them in stock (and by hardware
            store, I do not mean the bewildering wasteland that is Home Depot).
            Orchard Supply Hardware has them.

            http://www.hanford.gov/fire/safety/extingrs.htm gives a good overview
            on types of extinguishers and the basics on how to use them.

            Something like this ought to do you just fine:
            http://www.firstalert.com/fire_extinguishers_item.php?pid=37

            Jehanne de Wodeford
            West
          • Pete
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 26, 2007
              Hi

              yes, any suitable sacking would do.

              A bucket of water is recommended as well, but given the authenticity
              constraints we operate under a sack is a much cheaper way to cover
              the problem.

              Pete - Guthroth
            • Pete McKee
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 31, 2007
                AS far as I'm concerned, fire safety is an argument FOR authenticity
                in camp equipage. Synthetic materials and open fires are a scary
                combination. If a camp is of period correct materials and style, the
                BEST fire extinguisher is a bucket (or two) of water. In cases where
                fire extinguishers are required by site/organization regs or personal
                choice, I feel they should be easily reachable, but discreetly out of
                sight. A bag works well for this. If they are to be marked, I
                prefer this previously refered to symbol.
                http://www.texianlegacy.com/firesafety.html)

                To me, a red or white cross indicates medical supplies and the flame
                symbol indicates a flammable substance. The crossed fire axes are a
                common symbol for firefighters.

                The 17th century site I work at is on County property. The County
                requires a fire extinguisher near every open flame fire. We keep
                them in unmarked bags near the door or tucked neatly out of plain
                veiw. Staff knows where they are, but not our visitors. the LAST
                thing we want is for a member of the general public to stay in a
                burning thatched roof house because they see the fire extinguisher &
                want to be helpful. The buckets of water & sand are in plain veiw,
                and are our first choice for fighting fires. Hope this helps some.

                Take care,
                Pete McKee
              • Nastasiia Ivanova Medvedeva
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 31, 2007
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Pete McKee" <p_mckee3@...> wrote:
                  {snip}

                  > The 17th century site I work at is on County property. The County
                  > requires a fire extinguisher near every open flame fire. We keep
                  > them in unmarked bags near the door or tucked neatly out of plain
                  > veiw. Staff knows where they are, but not our visitors. the LAST
                  > thing we want is for a member of the general public to stay in a
                  > burning thatched roof house because they see the fire extinguisher &
                  > want to be helpful. The buckets of water & sand are in plain veiw,
                  > and are our first choice for fighting fires. Hope this helps some.
                  >
                  > Take care,
                  > Pete McKee

                  Yes, you're working with the public. But those of us at SCA events
                  need *everyone* to be able to identify the fire extinguishers at a
                  glance. I'll leave mine out in the open, thanks, and if it squicks
                  you that badly, you need not visit my camp.

                  Tasha
                • Pete McKee
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Nastasiia Ivanova Medvedeva"
                    <tasha_medvedeva@...> wrote:

                    > Yes, you're working with the public. But those of us at SCA events
                    > need *everyone* to be able to identify the fire extinguishers at a
                    > glance. I'll leave mine out in the open, thanks, and if it squicks
                    > you that badly, you need not visit my camp.
                    >
                    > Tasha

                    Dear Tasha,

                    The presence of a visible fire extinguisher would not prevent me from
                    enjoying the hospitality of your camp, given an invitation. I trust
                    the absence of a visible modern fire extinguiser would not prevent
                    you from enjoying the humble comforts of my own.

                    If I were at an SCA event and got squicked (I love that word!) by
                    modern intrusions, I would have a big problem indeed. My point was
                    that, if one's camp is of period appropriate materials and design, a
                    modern fire extinguisher is not neccesary. The buckets of water &
                    sand will do the job nicely. This with the understanding that some
                    sites or organizations will require a modern fire extinguisher either
                    present or visible. The covering and marking options suggested in
                    this thread are for those who want or need a modern fire
                    extinguisher, but don't want it to be an intrusion into the
                    historical ambiance of their camp.

                    And as this post wonderfully illustrates, The SCA context allows the
                    opportunity for selectively targeting the area one wishes to focus on
                    in their authenticity efforts.

                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Ann Catelli <elvestoorder@...>
                    wrote:
                    >>(snip)
                    > And, as it happens, my own efforts towards
                    > authenticity are very much concentrated on my personal
                    > appearance, so I will always have a highly-inauthentic
                    > camp. It just isn't on my priority list to improve.
                    >
                    > Ann in CT
                    > Cecilia Dollmaker

                    In cases such as this, a modern A-B-C fire extinguisher is not an
                    intrusion. Given the synthetic materials and flammable products
                    present in most modern camp equipment, the A-B-C extinguisher is
                    actually a very good idea.

                    Hope this helps some.

                    Take care,
                    Pete McKee