Fire Safety [Was: Safety]

  • Folo Watkins
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 24 4:21 PM
      If you'll allow me to introduce a couple ideas from more serious
      living-history groups:

      Regia Anglorum regulations say, ""Every LHE [Living History
      Exhibition] structure...to have a fire extinguisher in a red bag at
      its right-hand side front."

      In "

      Fire Safety in a Period Camp" (

      http://www.texianlegacy.com/firesafety.html) there is a illo drafted
      by Tim Todish for _Muzzleloader" magazine. The logo on hidden fire
      extinguishers is universal and will look period but anyone in or even
      passing by the camp will know where the extinguisher is.

      The big difference with these examples and the SCA is that these are
      for the use of camps open to the public. Since the SCA is a private
      clambake, there is no need for such measures.

      Cheers, Folo
    • Deirdre D'Argenteuil
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 26 7:12 AM
        Check the regulations in the area you are camping in
        and also check with the event coordinator. In Arizona
        where brush fires are a regular occurence we have park
        rangers inspecting for VISIBLE fire extinguishers.
        Just keep in mind that not having your fire
        extinguisher out in the open and easily identified
        could mean your expulsion from the site.
        Deirdre

        Viscountess Deirdre D'Argenteuil, OL
        Barony of Atenveldt
        * * * * * *

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 26 9:40 AM
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Deirdre D'Argenteuil
          <deirdredargenteuil@...> wrote:

          > Check the regulations in the area you are camping in
          > and also check with the event coordinator. In Arizona
          > where brush fires are a regular occurence we have park
          > rangers inspecting for VISIBLE fire extinguishers.
          > Just keep in mind that not having your fire
          > extinguisher out in the open and easily identified
          > could mean your expulsion from the site.

          I'm on board with visible fire extinguishers (or fire buckets). What
          if one is a guest in an encampment, or a passerby who observes a fire
          that was left unattended and has gotten out of control? (Yes, the SCA
          has its share of folks who are first time campers and do things like
          leave lighted candles sitting in dry grass and walk away.)

          If you can't find it, you can't use it.

          Tuppenceworth from the peanut gallery,
          Jehanne de Wodeford
          West