New Guy on the Block

  • Warlord of Iowa
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 22, 2007
      Hello -

      I wanted to introduce myself.

      I saw the Yahoo Group and found it interesting as I find that non-period
      equipment at an Encampment to be annoying as well.

      So with that in mind what are your "Top Ten" favorite "Pet Peeves?" What do
      you recommend fixing them with? (IE The more inexpensive the fix the
      better.)

      I will start:

      1. Non-Period Tentage (Get canvas or a lean-to)
      2. Coolers in plain site (Put it in the tent)
      3. Saw a guy in a pseudo-kilt and cowboy hat last summer. AAGH! The horror
      of it all. (Get some real clothes.)
      4. Duct Tape (just put it away or get a real fix)
      5. Pop Cans (a mug anyone?)
      6. Modern Camping Chairs (wood chairs)
      7. Tennis Shoes (leather boots and not the western variety or sandals)
      8. non-period grills (propane and pressed metal is not period)
      9. Cell Phones (please take it elsewhere)
      10. Fire Extinquishers (put it in marked burlap bag near the fire)

      Your thoughts?

      Good Hunting!

      Hrolf "the Harasser" Jameson

      Holder of the Midrealm Warrior Award

      My front is pushed back. My right gives way. Situation excellent! I am
      attacking!
      - Ferdinand Foch, 1916 AD
    • Desideria di Norcia
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 23, 2007
        Well, I'd like to say a word for those of us for whom money is the problem. Of course, there are other answers rather than the expensive ones, and I'm proud to have used those methods rather than the gross, obviously modern things you point out. For instance:

        1. Non-Period Tentage (Get canvas or a lean-to) My first camping abode was a plastic-sheeted canopy with plastic sheet walls that I shared with two other folk. We took the time to paint the exterior of the sheet walls so that it would resemble a small building. We used cheap acrylic paints, and although the paint eventually chipped off and looked bad, it lasted for a couple or three years.

        2. Coolers in plain site (Put it in the tent) We also covered the coolers that we wanted to keep out of the tent with fabric. It helped to keep the temperature down, too.

        3. Saw a guy in a pseudo-kilt and cowboy hat last summer. AAGH! The horror
        of it all. (Get some real clothes.) My response is as yours - get some real clothes. Guarantee that man doesn't wear that garb to local events. So where is his garb at all?

        4. Duct Tape (just put it away or get a real fix) Duct tape is great for a quick, temporary fix, and if it has to show during the entire event, cover it with something until you can do the permanent fix.

        5. Pop Cans (a mug anyone?) I thought the term "discreetly period" took that into consideration. Get a mug or wrap a hanky around the tin.

        6. Modern Camping Chairs (wood chairs) For years, I've thrown a coverlet over my chair. My modern camping chair is more comfortable to me (I'm 70) than the hard wood chairs, and my answer has been to cover the filthy modern thing with a blanket, or a sheet, or even a tablecloth. It looks more presentable.

        7. Tennis Shoes (leather boots and not the western variety or sandals) I've even painted old sneakers to look like boots, because they are comfortable on my old tired feet. But sandals in the summertime are perfect.

        8. non-period grills (propane and pressed metal is not period) I don't do the cooking, so I won't disagree with this one.

        9. Cell Phones (please take it elsewhere) I don't have or use a cell phone, and hearing one go off when I'm in an SCA class or shopping at a merchant stall is more than jangling. It's rude and inconsiderate. Turn the bloody thing to vibrate and go talk in the privy!

        10. Fire Extinquishers (put it in marked burlap bag near the fire) Or in a wood box, or some other not-red, not metallic, not modern container.

        Thanks for your input, it reminded me of some rather difficult situations and how I learned to deal with them.

        Dama Desideria

      • Frederick
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 23, 2007
          Hello,

          I'm also an 18th century Re-enactor and that stuff(list) really bugs me.
          but right now I'm still the lowest in SCA Feudal level (which I still
          have no clue about) and all the people I have met so far have been
          very nice.

          I did find a fighter site that is trying to get only authentic stuff.
          and there's this list.

          Oh happy one day after Yule everyone.

          ~Galmr~
        • Warlord of Iowa
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 23, 2007
            Hello -

            Thanks for the conversation.

            I would have never thought of painting plastic sheets in that manner. We
            had plastic windows in the tent they built for us when I was deployed for
            Hurricane Katrina. It was like living in a fishbowl and we had to use our
            poncho's to get some privacy.

            I agree with you completely about all your commentary below. I hadn't
            thought of the covers for the camp chairs admittedly.

            I do wish to be the first to admit that I am not perfect at maintaining a
            period atmosphere but I do try and will be happy agree with everybody that
            is what we should strive for at all times.

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 23, 2007
              Galmr -

              Well, I don't consider myself a real "experienced" SCA person. And I
              consider myself a mere "bondi" in Viking terms.

              But I will be the first to agree that we should all do our best to maintain
              period and know our history to our best ability. After all, that is the
              whole purpose of reenacting.

              Good Hunting!

              Hrolf "the Harasser" Jameson

              Holder of the Midrealm Warrior Award

              My front is pushed back. My right gives way. Situation excellent! I am
              attacking!
              - Ferdinand Foch, 1916 AD
            • Ann Catelli
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 24, 2007
                --- Desideria di Norcia <desidinorcia@...>
                wrote:

                > 10. Fire Extinquishers (put it in marked burlap bag
                > near the fire) Or in a wood box, or some other
                > not-red, not metallic, not modern container.
                >
                > Dama Desideria

                Given how fast fires can and will spread, I'll put
                fire extinguishers in the
                prevention-of-things-we-don't-want-to-recreate
                category, along with various hygiene-related things,
                and have fire extinguishers out in the open.

                Seriously, if there's a spreading fire & the resultant
                panic, the extra couple of seconds to remember where
                the extinguisher is, and getting there & getting it
                out may make a difference.

                Let them be as invisible as glasses to any courteous
                SCAdian.

                And, as it happens, my own efforts towards
                authenticity are very much concentrated on my personal
                appearance, so I will always have a highly-inauthentic
                camp. It just isn't on my priority list to improve.

                Ann in CT
                Cecilia Dollmaker

                Looking for last minute shopping deals?
              • azilisarmor
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 24, 2007

                  > So with that in mind what are your "Top Ten" favorite "Pet Peeves?"
                  What do
                  > you recommend fixing them with? (IE The more inexpensive the fix
                  the
                  > better.)

                  All of yours, and one more: filks. Solution: duct tape (over mouth of
                  offender.)

                  Deroch
                • Carrie McGinnis
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 24, 2007
                    Greetings.

                    I'm am a newbie, both to the list and to the SCA. In reading this post, I
                    have a question that may also be a suggestion. I have been told (for better
                    or for worse) that painted chests can be/are period so long as one remembers
                    to keep only to colors that could have been created in period. Would a red
                    wooden chest with an easily recognizable symbol on it not be appropriate? I
                    haven't taken the time to research the matter before replying, but as a
                    heraldic color, I'm assuming red would have been figured out at some time.
                    It would seem to me that, if fire extinguishers could be made to look more
                    period, they might, in fact, become more common, and therefore increase both
                    safety and authenticity at the same time.

                    Possible?
                  • JL Badgley
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 24, 2007
                      On Dec 24, 2007 2:40 PM, Carrie McGinnis <furdreams@...> wrote:

                      > Greetings.
                      >
                      > I'm am a newbie, both to the list and to the SCA. In reading this post, I
                      > have a question that may also be a suggestion. I have been told (for better
                      > or for worse) that painted chests can be/are period so long as one
                      > remembers
                      > to keep only to colors that could have been created in period. Would a red
                      > wooden chest with an easily recognizable symbol on it not be appropriate? I
                      > haven't taken the time to research the matter before replying, but as a
                      > heraldic color, I'm assuming red would have been figured out at some time.
                      > It would seem to me that, if fire extinguishers could be made to look more
                      > period, they might, in fact, become more common, and therefore increase
                      > both
                      > safety and authenticity at the same time.
                      >
                      > Possible?

                      e.g. a red, rectangular box, maybe with a white cross on it (I'd go
                      for this instead of the fleam because, in a panic, people are more
                      likely to recognize the cross).

                      I'd think that might be a good idea. I, for one, am all for having
                      fire extinguishers nearby in a known and well marked area. Maybe if I
                      had an //entirely// period encampment, I'd get them more out of sight
                      (with buckets of water and sand nearby and the fire extinguisher in an
                      easily reachable place). However, until we are there, I don't see it
                      as a major problem, though the wooden box does seem a good idea.

                      -E.
                    • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 25, 2007
                        > All of yours, and one more: filks. Solution: duct tape (over mouth
                        of
                        > offender.)

                        Ah, but filking is period! That great institution, the Church, created
                        a lot of their hymns by re-writing popular songs.
                        Rosie
                      • Sandra Dodd
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 25, 2007
                          -=-Ah, but filking is period! That great institution, the Church,
                          created
                          a lot of their hymns by re-writing popular songs.-=-

                          Very true.

                          And broadside ballads, though the tradition increased after "our
                          period," did definitely start before the 17th century. Broadsides
                          were current events set to known tunes. Kinda like political or
                          social humor people watch on YouTube now.

                          The difference is they were "filking" period tunes! And SCA folk can
                          do that, too. If the sound of the music seems period, then it's a no
                          harm no foul thing, in my opinion.

                          AElflaed

                        • borderlands15213
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 25, 2007
                            <<<snipped>>>

                            > e.g. a red, rectangular box, maybe with a white cross on it (I'd go
                            > for this instead of the fleam because, in a panic, people are more
                            > likely to recognize the cross).
                            >
                            > I'd think that might be a good idea. I, for one, am all for having
                            > fire extinguishers nearby in a known and well marked area. Maybe if I
                            > had an //entirely// period encampment, I'd get them more out of sight
                            > (with buckets of water and sand nearby and the fire extinguisher in an
                            > easily reachable place). However, until we are there, I don't see it
                            > as a major problem, though the wooden box does seem a good idea.
                            >

                            > -E.

                            Am I missing something; passing over something; not grasping
                            something, here?
                            You say you'd go for the white cross instead of the fleam because in a
                            panic people are more likely to recognize the cross. I agree that
                            that is so, but were you using this as an example of something else
                            needed quickly in an emergency, i.e. a first aid kit, or were you
                            really thinking of having either the white cross (obviously your first
                            choice) or a fleam on the housing for the fire extinguisher?
                            If I were putting a fire extinguisher into a readily accessible box
                            which had a high recognizability factor, I think I'd use a white
                            *fire* on a red ground.
                            Or, have I just had too little sleep in the past nine days, and am
                            confusing something?

                            Yseult the Gentle
                          • JL Badgley
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 25, 2007
                              On Dec 25, 2007 10:00 PM, borderlands15213 <borderlands15213@...> wrote:

                              > Am I missing something; passing over something; not grasping
                              > something, here?
                              > You say you'd go for the white cross instead of the fleam because in a
                              > panic people are more likely to recognize the cross. I agree that
                              > that is so, but were you using this as an example of something else
                              > needed quickly in an emergency, i.e. a first aid kit, or were you
                              > really thinking of having either the white cross (obviously your first
                              > choice) or a fleam on the housing for the fire extinguisher?

                              Nope, I was misthinking at the time. You are right--I was thinking
                              emergency, and the typical emergency symbol I think of is something
                              red with a white cross--but that is more medical. A flame or the
                              symbol shown previously is better (and then there were the suggestions
                              of a burlap sack, which sounds like a much easier solution and could
                              still be viable).

                              -E.
                            • julian wilson
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 26, 2007
                                Sandra Dodd <Sandra@...> wrote:
                                -=-Ah, but filking is period! That great institution, the Church,
                                created a lot of their hymns by re-writing popular songs.-=-
                                MORE GOOD COMMENT SNIPPED
                                If the sound of the music seems period, then it's a no harm no foul thing, in my opinion.
                                REPLY
                                Well, yes - your comment iimediately reminds me of "Greensleeves" and the 1865 Dix Hymn "What Child is this, who laid to rest-" I'm sure other more-musical Listers will have their own examples which they'll share with the rest of us.

                                in humble service to The Light, 'gainst evil's Darkness
                                Matthew Baker

                              • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 26, 2007
                                  Red is a very period color...
                                  It was in use as far back as the Paleolithic, so ti is plainly period for our use.
                                  A good brick or "oxblood" red is a very period color for boxes. There are paintings that show boxes in this and other variants.
                                  If you want to explore a period pigment to use to paint with there are even sites on the net where people have revcreated the formulations.

                                  As far as Fire extinguishers go, you dont want to do anything that will make it hard to access or difficult to recognize in an emergency situation.

                                  Hiding it in a chest, unless the chest is clearly marked and outside your tent, is probably a bad thing.
                                  I keep mine just outside my door under a small an overturned barrel I use for a seat, but I have a small red flag next to it, and the silhouette of a fire extinguisher worked out in red duct tape on the barrel.
                                  I also keep another one in plain sight inside the tent attached to the centerpole, next to the bed, at eye level when I sit up in bed.

                                  Nobody should camp without one, at any time. Period. End of story.

                                  Fire spreads too damn fast and can cause too much damage in the typically crowded SCA camping environment.

                                  I believe that at Pennsic it is a rule that all tents must have a fire extinguisher in reach.

                                  Capt Elias

                                • Greg Lindahl
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 28, 2007
                                    On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 03:38:00PM -0700, Sandra Dodd wrote:

                                    > And broadside ballads, though the tradition increased after "our
                                    > period," did definitely start before the 17th century. Broadsides
                                    > were current events set to known tunes. Kinda like political or
                                    > social humor people watch on YouTube now.

                                    Some broadsides, yes. Some were to "a new tune", and many were not
                                    about current events.

                                    > The difference is they were "filking" period tunes! And SCA folk can
                                    > do that, too.

                                    Indeed, they can. I've made a collection of tunes used in broadside
                                    ballads for exactly this purpose:

                                    http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/ballads/music.html

                                    -- Gregory
                                  • Rob Lewis
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 2, 2008
                                      At Estrella it has been the rule there must be a fire extinguisher VISIBLE
                                      outside of each tent. When we were still at Estrella Mountain Park, I
                                      believe that was the Autocrats interpretation of the local Fire Marshalls
                                      ruling, and theoretically they did come out to do spot checks on some of the
                                      camps. Now that we are at a festival campground, I don't know if the
                                      autocrats are just keeping this as part of the site rules, or if it is
                                      imposed by the site owner, or even the local Fire Marshall (completely
                                      different person from the other site, at least 90 miles between sites and
                                      they are in different counties.)

                                      I think they MIGHT be willing to allow a LARGE bucket of sand to replace an
                                      extinguisher, but having heard the "discussion" between the person in charge
                                      of the period camping area and someone representing the Autocrats discuss
                                      this 4 or 5 years ago, I can't be positive.

                                      Ivan Kosinski
                                      College of Brymstonne
                                      Atenveldt

                                      MKA Rob Lewis