An illustration of how to post,

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 19, 2007
      The following is posted in response to a recent question from a new
      member. (Original message taken from a post earlier this year.)
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@...> wrote:
      THIS is top posting. I am posting at the top of your message. The
      reason we request that people not do so is that it is far too easy to
      forget and leave an entire message or even a string of messages
      dangling behind it. For our members who receive this list in digest
      form and would end up having to read the same thing over and over and
      over again, this is beyond inconvenient.

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Catalfamo"
      <catalfamo1190@> wrote:

      > Will someone please tell me what top-posting is so I don't get in
      trouble all the time?

      NOW I'm interspersing a comment with a portion of your message. When
      you go to reply to a message, you should see

      "--- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Yahoo ID" <emailaddress@>
      wrote:"

      You should also see this symbol ">" at the left of any lines from the
      message you're answering.

      We appreciate all our members' cooperation. This is a very large list
      and we are trying to keep it as user-friendly as we can.

      Thank you,
      Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator
    • Terri Morgan
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 20, 2007
        > The following is posted in response to a recent
        > question from a new member. (Original message
        > taken from a post earlier this year.)

        Hi,
        I don't know what's up but your 'recent questioner' is feeling like he's
        been publicly slapped in the face. He wrote to ask me if it's normal on this
        list for new folks to be publicly chastised and then further humiliated with
        a public response to a private message.

        The man is an easy-going, smart guy. I don't feel that he is over-reacting.
        I know that you guys have to mod a lot of messages and it gets tiresome. I'm
        afraid that 'tiresome' has gotten larger in the picture than the 'helping a
        new member' has so I'm writing to let you know about the impression that
        your actions have created on one new member of the list. Right now, he's
        weighing whether or not it's worth staying subscribed and asked me if all
        SCA members were normally so heavy-handed (my words) towards new folks.

        I assured him that it wasn't normal, for us or for you, and asked him to
        stay and take part in our conversations. Could you write to him on your own
        and let him know that it was just a coincidence of timing? I told him that
        we have such a high volume of messages that about once every 6 month your
        reminder has to be posted and that he just sparked the automatic response
        from you without you thinking of how it would appear to him.

        I don't want his experience to be, "I signed up, posted one message, got
        used as an example of 'what not to do', wrote a private message that was
        left unanswered except to be used as a further example, and decided that the
        SCA is just as bad as it was described to me..."

        He's too good a man (and a resource) for us to lose over what might have
        been just a bad-hair-day for you.

        Hrothny
      • Terri Morgan
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 20, 2007
          No, no, NOOOO!!!!!

          I *swear by all that is holy* that I cut and pasted the private email addy
          in my "to" box.

          Oh my god..

          I am so very, very sorry.

          Hrothny
        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 20, 2007
            As you know, this is a very large, active list. We pick up new members
            at a marvelous rate. This is a most excellent thing.

            However, as we do try to manage a civilized, spam-free meeting place
            in the wilds of Yahoogroups, we do have a few rules that we ask our
            members to adhere to. In order to keep our new members apprised of
            them, the moderators post periodic reminders of what the list
            etiquette is. This has been working very well for quite some time.

            We do get questions from our new members asking for clarification of
            the rules and I felt it would be helpful to re-post an explanation of
            what top-posting is. I cut and pasted text from a message I received
            some six months ago as an example.

            I specifically did not append this announcement to any recent
            correspondence sent privately to moderator staff. There is no way
            anyone reading this announcement could use it to identify any member
            except for the one whose original public post to the group was used
            for illustrative purposes with her knowledge and consent at that time.

            I am sorry if anyone was made to feel as if they were singled out for
            embarassment. I believed I had taken particular pains not to do so.

            I am sorry if anyone feels that my hard working moderator staff is not
            doing their job to the utmost of their ability in their limited free
            time.

            On behalf of the moderators of Authentic_SCA, I would like to wish you
            all a peaceful Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

            Jehanne de Wodeford,
            List Owner
          • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 21, 2007

              >I am sorry if anyone was made to feel as if they were singled out for
              >embarassment. I believed I had taken particular pains not to do so.

              The moderators of this list CONSISTENTLY are rude. I cringe every time I see one of these posts. I have objected several times. I moderate several lists myself, and subscribe to numerous others, and have never seen one that has a policy to chastise posters like you do.

              Please realize that you are driving people away with this attitude. I know that you are all nice people, with time demands, but can't you try harder to phrase things better?

              Ram
            • Greg Lindahl
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 21, 2007
                > Please realize that you are driving people away with this attitude.
                > I know that you are all nice people, with time demands, but can't
                > you try harder to phrase things better?

                How do you know that they aren't? Remember that they no longer post in
                all upper case, and sign their messages. Everyone deserves the benefit
                of the doubt, and credit where credit is due.

                -- Gregory
              • sasha_aldubbun
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 21, 2007
                  Ranvaig

                  The moderators of this list are not, as you insist, rude. They are
                  very direct in enforcing this particular rules of this list. They
                  continue to spell out the rules of conduct for those new to the list,
                  as well as for those who forget them.

                  I have yet to see a posting of this type be rude - in fact having gone
                  back and re-read more than a few, I find them to be clear, direct and
                  devoid of emotion.

                  Iskander al-Kurdj
                  Caid.

                  Slave of Allah, Servant to the Court
                • Sharon L. Krossa
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 21, 2007
                    At 5:28 PM -0500 12/21/07, ranvaig@... wrote:
                    >Please realize that you are driving people away with this attitude.
                    >I know that you are all nice people, with time demands, but can't
                    >you try harder to phrase things better?

                    So how would you phrase the same information?

                    Affrick, mka Sharon, who thinks the moderators are rather polite...
                    --
                    Sharon Krossa, PhD - skrossa-yg@...
                    Medieval Scotland - http://MedievalScotland.org/
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 21, 2007
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon L. Krossa"
                      <skrossa-yg@...> wrote:
                      > So how would you phrase the same information?

                      I received a private message this afternoon from this member. She has
                      chosen to unsubscribe from the list.

                      Thank you all for your interest. Feel free to post here or contact any
                      of the moderators with your questions, comments or concerns. That's
                      what we are here for.

                      Jehanne de Wodeford
                      List owner,
                      Pacific Time Zone Moderator