Re: [Authentic_SCA] New to group

  • bronwynmgn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 9, 2007
      In a message dated 12/9/2007 4:57:55 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<One more thing, I am sorry you feel as though you can’t enjoy the SCA
      because you can’t compete with the fighters in lighter “non-period” armor, but
      this is the Society for Creative Anachronism, we research and re-create
      history to the best of our ability within modern times.>>

      And you will be happy to know that there are other folks in the SCA, quite a
      dedicated subgroup of them, who also enjoy putting on full period armor and
      using as much as safely possible of period fighting techniques and period
      tournament styles. My husband belongs to one such group, based in the East
      Kingdom, called the Company of St Michael. Unfortunately their website is
      currently defunct. I believe the Midrealm has such a group as well, although I
      don't know the name of it (I want to say Company of the White Swan or something
      similar, but I am not sure why that is coming to mind). There is also a
      Company of St George out in the west somewhere. These groups usually go by the
      name of "Tourney companies" and often have quite strict standards as to
      construction and appearance of not only your armor, but clothes and accessories
      brought along to the field with you, should you desire to become a member of the
      company. Often however, they will allow anyone, regardless of armor
      construction or style, to participate in their tourneys. They usually band together
      to hold a large period pas d'armes at Pennsic and possibly at other large
      wars, and there is also the Period Combat Series at Pennsic, a selection of
      tourneys using more or less period conventions - one is the Plate and Mail
      Tourney, using SCA tournament styles but focused on heavier period armor users;
      another is the Period Combat Conventions, open to anyone regardless of armor
      type but using period rules and victory conditions (counted blows, being forced
      to the ground or out of the lists, etc) as much as possible as opposed to
      simulated injuries and deaths. Do not despair; not all Scadians accept that the
      current mainstream of SCA fighting is "the best we can do in modern times".

      << If they would have had hockey gloves back in the 14th century I am sure
      they would have used them, those basket hilts rub skin right off! >>

      Probably not, as 14th century swords weren't known for having basket hilts.
      They generally just had crosses and pommels, and the combatants wore armored
      gauntlets. The SCA puts basket hilts on their swords because so many people
      wear hockey gloves rather than proper gauntlets. My husband hasn't used a
      sword with a basket hilt in SCA combat in years.

      I believe there is a yahoo group called "dieschlactschule" or something
      similar - I've probably butchered the spelling since I don't speak German - which
      is only one of the many e-groups Scadian or otherwise dedicated to the study
      of period martial arts and armor. Also try googling "Armour Archive"; I
      believe there are also folks there who are of like mind to yourself.

      Brangwayna Morgan