New to group

  • robsherlin
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 7, 2007
      (Moderator note: please sign all posts to this list as a courtesy. Thank you, Despina)

      Hi!
      I just found your group as I was looking for other SCA members in my
      area (or still in my area rather)as it seems that since I made contact
      and went to one practice, everyone has moved out of Niagara Falls. So,
      if the Canton of Beau Fleuve still exsists, I'm probably the only one
      living there....Hey! Since I'm the only one here, maybe they'll give me
      a cool title like Baron or something (just kidding).
      I had to join your group because, I too, think there's just a little
      to much slack in being authentic. Not only is it with peoples garb and
      campsites, but it's also in combat. I've also done some live steel, and
      I've spent quite a bit on my armour and having it made. It's full plate
      armour like the knights in classic tales (about late 14th century), but
      I can't join in any of the fun that spectators love so much because all
      these other fighters in their "pickle barrel" and hockey gear armour
      are so much lighter than I am, it's not a fair fight. Not to mention
      the fact I've never seen any man at arms in any manuscripts or
      anywhere, wearing hockey gloves. just had to throw that one out there.
    • Sandra Dodd
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 7, 2007
        -=-...but I can't join in any of the fun that spectators love so much
        because all
        these other fighters in their "pickle barrel" and hockey gear armour
        are so much lighter than I am, it's not a fair fight. Not to mention
        the fact I've never seen any man at arms in any manuscripts or
        anywhere, wearing hockey gloves. just had to throw that one out
        there.-=-

        People here can help you find resources for making your own gear
        more authentic, but I don't think it's the purpose of the list to
        encourage you to think you can help everyone else in the SCA want to
        change.

        I hope someone here does have some local contacts for you, though.

        AElflaed of Duckford, in the Outlands

      • *Jessica*
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 8, 2007
          Welcome to the list!

          I do applaud your full plate, period, 14th century armor. It is a rare treat to see such a suit; But might I encourage you to take your love of authentic armor and put it to some use. I understand that you are in an under-populated SCA area, but contact your Kingdom Sciences Minister and offer to teach a class to educate those who are interested!

          You said, you “spent quite a bit” on your armor, but not everyone in the SCA can afford such an expense. Be constructive, offer up affordable, better period alternatives to “pickle barrel” armor and hockey gloves. Per the groups own description “We each want to achieve our own level of [authenticity] to the best of our ability and encourage others to do so as well. We espouse the opinion that real life comes first.”

          One more thing, I am sorry you feel as though you can’t enjoy the SCA because you can’t compete with the fighters in lighter “non-period” armor, but this is the Society for Creative Anachronism, we research and re-create history to the best of our ability within modern times. If they would have had hockey gloves back in the 14th century I am sure they would have used them, those basket hilts rub skin right off!

          Ghlina of Danegeld Tor, Principality of Cynagua, Kingdom of the West

          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 9, 2007
            In a message dated 12/9/2007 4:57:55 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

            <<One more thing, I am sorry you feel as though you can’t enjoy the SCA
            because you can’t compete with the fighters in lighter “non-period” armor, but
            this is the Society for Creative Anachronism, we research and re-create
            history to the best of our ability within modern times.>>

            And you will be happy to know that there are other folks in the SCA, quite a
            dedicated subgroup of them, who also enjoy putting on full period armor and
            using as much as safely possible of period fighting techniques and period
            tournament styles. My husband belongs to one such group, based in the East
            Kingdom, called the Company of St Michael. Unfortunately their website is
            currently defunct. I believe the Midrealm has such a group as well, although I
            don't know the name of it (I want to say Company of the White Swan or something
            similar, but I am not sure why that is coming to mind). There is also a
            Company of St George out in the west somewhere. These groups usually go by the
            name of "Tourney companies" and often have quite strict standards as to
            construction and appearance of not only your armor, but clothes and accessories
            brought along to the field with you, should you desire to become a member of the
            company. Often however, they will allow anyone, regardless of armor
            construction or style, to participate in their tourneys. They usually band together
            to hold a large period pas d'armes at Pennsic and possibly at other large
            wars, and there is also the Period Combat Series at Pennsic, a selection of
            tourneys using more or less period conventions - one is the Plate and Mail
            Tourney, using SCA tournament styles but focused on heavier period armor users;
            another is the Period Combat Conventions, open to anyone regardless of armor
            type but using period rules and victory conditions (counted blows, being forced
            to the ground or out of the lists, etc) as much as possible as opposed to
            simulated injuries and deaths. Do not despair; not all Scadians accept that the
            current mainstream of SCA fighting is "the best we can do in modern times".

            << If they would have had hockey gloves back in the 14th century I am sure
            they would have used them, those basket hilts rub skin right off! >>

            Probably not, as 14th century swords weren't known for having basket hilts.
            They generally just had crosses and pommels, and the combatants wore armored
            gauntlets. The SCA puts basket hilts on their swords because so many people
            wear hockey gloves rather than proper gauntlets. My husband hasn't used a
            sword with a basket hilt in SCA combat in years.

            I believe there is a yahoo group called "dieschlactschule" or something
            similar - I've probably butchered the spelling since I don't speak German - which
            is only one of the many e-groups Scadian or otherwise dedicated to the study
            of period martial arts and armor. Also try googling "Armour Archive"; I
            believe there are also folks there who are of like mind to yourself.

            Brangwayna Morgan

            products.