Re: [Authentic_SCA] Wedding and Engagement Rings

  • Beth and Bob Matney
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 7, 2007
      Hi Michael

      Sure. I'll be glad to send you a copy. I'll break it up in several
      pieces so that each is not so large. (We use a 12.8Mp camera). As
      someone posted later in the thread, there is a book that you can ILL as well.

      Take care,
      Beth

      At 07:27 PM 12/6/2007, you wrote:
      >At 12:32 PM -0600 on 11/26/07, Beth and Bob Matney wrote:
      >
      > >So sorry about the top post (senor moment).
      > >
      > >I can send you a photo of some of the rings, but the photo is very
      > >large (hi-res).
      >
      >I'd be interested in a copy of that photo if you'd still care to send
      >it. My fiancee and I are getting married in a somewhat medieval
      >ceremony next fall.
      >--
      > Auf wiedersehen!
      > Michael
    • Michael Hurley
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 7, 2007
        At 6:15 AM -0600 on 12/7/07, Beth and Bob Matney wrote:

        >Hi Michael
        >
        >Sure. I'll be glad to send you a copy. I'll break it up in several
        >pieces so that each is not so large. (We use a 12.8Mp camera). As
        >someone posted later in the thread, there is a book that you can ILL as well.

        Thanks for them muchly. They'll be quite handy.
        --
        Auf wiedersehen!
        Michael

        "..No."

        -Real Genius
      • balanttina
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 9, 2007
          hello!

          I found an interesting document among my 'collection' that mentiones
          what we would call an engagement ring. it dates to February 17, 1476
          and was issued in a village of Vesina, in the parish of Jugo, in the
          bishopric of Trident, in the castle of Henry (in present-day Carinthia
          in Austria, I think)

          my loose translation is as folows:

          'Odorik, sun of William of Brezio, an imperial public notary in
          Trident, makes a nuptial contract for Paul, sun of the late John
          Alouisia of Petra plana near Trident, and a bride Dorothea, dauther of
          Henry de Jugo. Before the notary, bride and groom have declared to wed
          each other, and the groom has put on a bride's finger a golden ring as
          a sign of true and valid matrimony. The father gave the bride a dowry
          of 500 florins, the groom gave her 'jutrna' (husband's present to his
          wife on the morning after the first night spent together, the morning
          after the wedding) of 150 florins.'

          lp, celestina