Re: [Authentic_SCA] Wedding and Engagement Rings

  • Michael Hurley
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 6 5:27 PM
      At 12:32 PM -0600 on 11/26/07, Beth and Bob Matney wrote:

      >So sorry about the top post (senor moment).
      >
      >I can send you a photo of some of the rings, but the photo is very
      >large (hi-res).

      I'd be interested in a copy of that photo if you'd still care to send
      it. My fiancee and I are getting married in a somewhat medieval
      ceremony next fall.
      --
      Auf wiedersehen!
      Michael

      "..No."

      -Real Genius
    • Beth and Bob Matney
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 7 4:15 AM
        Hi Michael

        Sure. I'll be glad to send you a copy. I'll break it up in several
        pieces so that each is not so large. (We use a 12.8Mp camera). As
        someone posted later in the thread, there is a book that you can ILL as well.

        Take care,
        Beth

        At 07:27 PM 12/6/2007, you wrote:
        >At 12:32 PM -0600 on 11/26/07, Beth and Bob Matney wrote:
        >
        > >So sorry about the top post (senor moment).
        > >
        > >I can send you a photo of some of the rings, but the photo is very
        > >large (hi-res).
        >
        >I'd be interested in a copy of that photo if you'd still care to send
        >it. My fiancee and I are getting married in a somewhat medieval
        >ceremony next fall.
        >--
        > Auf wiedersehen!
        > Michael
      • Michael Hurley
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 7 8:16 PM
          At 6:15 AM -0600 on 12/7/07, Beth and Bob Matney wrote:

          >Hi Michael
          >
          >Sure. I'll be glad to send you a copy. I'll break it up in several
          >pieces so that each is not so large. (We use a 12.8Mp camera). As
          >someone posted later in the thread, there is a book that you can ILL as well.

          Thanks for them muchly. They'll be quite handy.
          --
          Auf wiedersehen!
          Michael

          "..No."

          -Real Genius
        • balanttina
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 9 10:51 AM
            hello!

            I found an interesting document among my 'collection' that mentiones
            what we would call an engagement ring. it dates to February 17, 1476
            and was issued in a village of Vesina, in the parish of Jugo, in the
            bishopric of Trident, in the castle of Henry (in present-day Carinthia
            in Austria, I think)

            my loose translation is as folows:

            'Odorik, sun of William of Brezio, an imperial public notary in
            Trident, makes a nuptial contract for Paul, sun of the late John
            Alouisia of Petra plana near Trident, and a bride Dorothea, dauther of
            Henry de Jugo. Before the notary, bride and groom have declared to wed
            each other, and the groom has put on a bride's finger a golden ring as
            a sign of true and valid matrimony. The father gave the bride a dowry
            of 500 florins, the groom gave her 'jutrna' (husband's present to his
            wife on the morning after the first night spent together, the morning
            after the wedding) of 150 florins.'

            lp, celestina