RE: Images of Spanish and Italian Doublets...

  • stanza693@wmconnect.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2007
      ---In a message date, 5 Dec 2007, Robert writes: ---

      > Does anyone knows where I can find images of Spanish and Italian
      > Doublets in 15th and 16th Century?
      >
      > Robert

      For pictures of Spanish Doublets, I would recommend the following sources:

      Jessamyn's Closet
      (It's a really fabulous collection of Spanish images arranged by century.
      She also has some Portuguese and Basque, too.)
      http://www.jessamynscloset.com/15thgallery.html
      http://www.jessamynscloset.com/16thgallery.html

      Saya Espanola
      (This is really a site for women's court fashions in late period Spain.
      However, if you follow this link, there is a portrait of a gentleman included
      about half way down in the section for Sofonisba Anguissola.)
      http://sayaespanola.glittersweet.com/main.htm

      You could try doing a Google Image search for:
      Carlos V (also try Charles V, for a few more)
      Felipe el Hermoso (most will NOT be doublets, but there are a one or two)

      If you have time to wait for an ILL, these two books by Carmen Bernis would
      be helpful. They are in Spanish, so you'd have to know Spanish to read them,
      but the pictures included are incredible. Only a few color plates are
      included, but there are a good number of black & whites. The one on the Catholic
      Kings (Reyes Catolicos) is actually a 2 volume set: one on men's wear and one for
      the ladies.

      _Indumentaria espan~ola en tiempos de Carlos V_
      see plate 2 image 8, plate 17 image 80 (this one is online, though), plate 29
      image 143, plate 30, plate 32 image 154 (my fave), and plates 34 - 41.

      or

      _Trajes y modas en la Espan~a de los Reyes Catolicos_
      see plate (lamina) 1, 6, 7, 8, 10, & 11

      (**NOTE: The person looking for short capes would be interested in plate 37
      of this book)

      Hope this helps.

      A sus ordenes,
      Constanza Marina de Huelva (living in 1490's Castile)
      From Dragonsspine of the Outlands </HTML>