Re: [Authentic_SCA] Invention of writing

  • sparklingeyes1974@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 5, 2007
      Ya I looked up some info on that too, well you know what they say ....... You learn someting new everyday. Today was my day hehe.

      Thanks
      Lady Elizabeth
      Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
    • sparklingeyes1974@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 5, 2007
        Ah ok thanks ... And looks like thr typeo was mine ....darn these blackberries and predictive typing

        Lady Elizabeth
        Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
      • Derek Estabrook
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 5, 2007
          (moderator note: Please sign all posts to this list. Thank you Despina)

          These simple records on clay that they were speaking of are actually dated far earlier according to one site. 9000 B.C. is the date they give. 4th century B.C. is the date of some of the earliest writing systems that we have been able to identify. Doesn't necessarily mean they did not exist since I doubt it was a spontaneous revelation and probably existed long before archaeological evidence would show. The key I think is when was there a need for a written system to develop. People were not stupid and it would not have taken long once needed to develop a system.

          http://custom-writing.org/blog/time-out-for-your-brain/54.html

          http://www.delmar.edu/engl/instruct/stomlin/1301int/lessons/language/history.htm

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_writing

        • Lilinah
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 6, 2007
            Unsigned wrote:
            >These simple records on clay that they were speaking of are actually
            >dated far earlier according to one site. 9000 B.C. is the date they
            >give. 4th century B.C. is the date of some of the earliest writing
            >systems that we have been able to identify.

            I think you've got a typo in the above. I think you meant *4th
            millennium*, not *4th century*.

            Even writing systems such as Canaanite, which is not terribly
            ancient, go back before the 2nd millennium BCE and Canaanite is
            identifiable and readable.

            --
            Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
            the persona formerly known as Anahita