Re: [Authentic_SCA] Making parchment

  • Folo Watkins
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
      >I am in search of where I can get or make parchment myself using
      >period techniques.

      http://www.dedas.com/parchment/uk/recipe.html is a good Dutch site.

      http://www.hi.is/pub/sam/main.html#phot is the Arni Magnusson
      Institute in Reykjavik; the last time I was there it had a nice
      exhibition on the making of parchment, and they might still have some
      photographs.

      http://www.eternalegypt.org/EternalEgyptWebsiteWeb/HomeServlet?ee_website_action_key=action.display.module&module_id=247&language_id=1&story_id=37
      deals mainly with Egyptian parchment but might be pertinent

      http://avalon.albuquerque.nm.us/resume/outlaw/parch_cont.html is a BA
      dissertation on the subject

      describes a class from 2005; those involved might well be able to help.

      If you'll permit me a digression: I went to a local arts supply store
      and asked if they could obtain real parchment. One gentleman said
      they could look into it, but his fellow indignantly said, "Moon Unit
      (I change names here, but you get the idea) orders, and she will
      refuse because we are all vegetarians here!" I replied, "But I don't
      want to eat it." That stopped him dead in his tracks, and the first
      gent, obviously not as militant a vegetarian as his fellows, said,
      "He has a point..."

      Hope this--minus my anecdote--helps!

      Cheers, Folo
    • sparklingeyes1974@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
        Yes that does a lot. I bet they laughed when you said what you where going to use it for.

        So that leads me to my next question; where can I get skins at ?

        Lady Elizabeth
        Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
      • Folo Watkins
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
          >Yes that does a lot. I bet they laughed when you said what you where
          >going to use it for.

          Oh no. The super vegetarian was indignantly angry that I was making
          sport of him (my bad; I've known enough militant vegetarians over the
          years to realize that he was not going to take the comment gracefully
          but just couldn't resist).

          >So that leads me to my next question; where can I get skins at ?

          That I don't really know. I'd talk to nearby farmers and, if
          necessary and if you really really want to do this, buy your own goat
          and arrange to have it slaughtered. I assume the bones could be used
          for things as well! G0ood luck. If you do this, I'd love to see pictures!

          Cheers, Folo
        • Cynthia J Ley
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
            > >So that leads me to my next question; where can I get skins at ?

            A friend of mine who makes parchment gets hers free at a slaughterhouse.

            Arlys
          • sparklingeyes1974@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
              Eeww but ok I will need to look into that

              Thanks