Making parchment

  • sparklingeyes1974@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
      Greetings good gentles!
      I am in search of where I can get or make parchment myself using period techniques.

      This is something that I have been thinking about for sometime just not sure about where I get it at or see if someone is willing to help me learn the process. There are a few A&S compitions I'm looking at going to in the outlands most of all kingdom A&S comp if there is one.

      Any help is most welcome

      Lady Elizabeth deHolecumbe

      (who has idle hands, which is a dangerious thing)
      Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
    • Folo Watkins
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
        >I am in search of where I can get or make parchment myself using
        >period techniques.

        http://www.dedas.com/parchment/uk/recipe.html is a good Dutch site.

        http://www.hi.is/pub/sam/main.html#phot is the Arni Magnusson
        Institute in Reykjavik; the last time I was there it had a nice
        exhibition on the making of parchment, and they might still have some
        photographs.

        http://www.eternalegypt.org/EternalEgyptWebsiteWeb/HomeServlet?ee_website_action_key=action.display.module&module_id=247&language_id=1&story_id=37
        deals mainly with Egyptian parchment but might be pertinent

        http://avalon.albuquerque.nm.us/resume/outlaw/parch_cont.html is a BA
        dissertation on the subject

        describes a class from 2005; those involved might well be able to help.

        If you'll permit me a digression: I went to a local arts supply store
        and asked if they could obtain real parchment. One gentleman said
        they could look into it, but his fellow indignantly said, "Moon Unit
        (I change names here, but you get the idea) orders, and she will
        refuse because we are all vegetarians here!" I replied, "But I don't
        want to eat it." That stopped him dead in his tracks, and the first
        gent, obviously not as militant a vegetarian as his fellows, said,
        "He has a point..."

        Hope this--minus my anecdote--helps!

        Cheers, Folo
      • sparklingeyes1974@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
          Yes that does a lot. I bet they laughed when you said what you where going to use it for.

          So that leads me to my next question; where can I get skins at ?

          Lady Elizabeth
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
            >Yes that does a lot. I bet they laughed when you said what you where
            >going to use it for.

            Oh no. The super vegetarian was indignantly angry that I was making
            sport of him (my bad; I've known enough militant vegetarians over the
            years to realize that he was not going to take the comment gracefully
            but just couldn't resist).

            >So that leads me to my next question; where can I get skins at ?

            That I don't really know. I'd talk to nearby farmers and, if
            necessary and if you really really want to do this, buy your own goat
            and arrange to have it slaughtered. I assume the bones could be used
            for things as well! G0ood luck. If you do this, I'd love to see pictures!

            Cheers, Folo
          • Cynthia J Ley
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
              > >So that leads me to my next question; where can I get skins at ?

              A friend of mine who makes parchment gets hers free at a slaughterhouse.

              Arlys
            • sparklingeyes1974@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
                Eeww but ok I will need to look into that

                Thanks

                Lady Elizabeth
                Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile