Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Wedding and Engagement Rings

  • Sarah Stovall
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
      From: quokkaqueen <quokkaqueen@...>
      To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, December 4, 2007 12:39:01 AM
      Subject: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Wedding and Engagement Rings
      <snip>

      Hope the information helps,

      ~Asfridhr

      Thanks for all the resources that was extremely helpful!!! I'll definitely look up the books. I don't think our local library has them but I might be able to get them on interlibrary loan. Thanks again, Sarah

    • Michael Hurley
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 6, 2007
        At 12:32 PM -0600 on 11/26/07, Beth and Bob Matney wrote:

        >So sorry about the top post (senor moment).
        >
        >I can send you a photo of some of the rings, but the photo is very
        >large (hi-res).

        I'd be interested in a copy of that photo if you'd still care to send
        it. My fiancee and I are getting married in a somewhat medieval
        ceremony next fall.
        --
        Auf wiedersehen!
        Michael

        "..No."

        -Real Genius
      • Beth and Bob Matney
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 7, 2007
          Hi Michael

          Sure. I'll be glad to send you a copy. I'll break it up in several
          pieces so that each is not so large. (We use a 12.8Mp camera). As
          someone posted later in the thread, there is a book that you can ILL as well.

          Take care,
          Beth

          At 07:27 PM 12/6/2007, you wrote:
          >At 12:32 PM -0600 on 11/26/07, Beth and Bob Matney wrote:
          >
          > >So sorry about the top post (senor moment).
          > >
          > >I can send you a photo of some of the rings, but the photo is very
          > >large (hi-res).
          >
          >I'd be interested in a copy of that photo if you'd still care to send
          >it. My fiancee and I are getting married in a somewhat medieval
          >ceremony next fall.
          >--
          > Auf wiedersehen!
          > Michael
        • Michael Hurley
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 7, 2007
            At 6:15 AM -0600 on 12/7/07, Beth and Bob Matney wrote:

            >Hi Michael
            >
            >Sure. I'll be glad to send you a copy. I'll break it up in several
            >pieces so that each is not so large. (We use a 12.8Mp camera). As
            >someone posted later in the thread, there is a book that you can ILL as well.

            Thanks for them muchly. They'll be quite handy.
            --
            Auf wiedersehen!
            Michael

            "..No."

            -Real Genius
          • balanttina
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 9, 2007
              hello!

              I found an interesting document among my 'collection' that mentiones
              what we would call an engagement ring. it dates to February 17, 1476
              and was issued in a village of Vesina, in the parish of Jugo, in the
              bishopric of Trident, in the castle of Henry (in present-day Carinthia
              in Austria, I think)

              my loose translation is as folows:

              'Odorik, sun of William of Brezio, an imperial public notary in
              Trident, makes a nuptial contract for Paul, sun of the late John
              Alouisia of Petra plana near Trident, and a bride Dorothea, dauther of
              Henry de Jugo. Before the notary, bride and groom have declared to wed
              each other, and the groom has put on a bride's finger a golden ring as
              a sign of true and valid matrimony. The father gave the bride a dowry
              of 500 florins, the groom gave her 'jutrna' (husband's present to his
              wife on the morning after the first night spent together, the morning
              after the wedding) of 150 florins.'

              lp, celestina