Re: Wedding and Engagement Rings

  • quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 3, 2007
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah" <thswildcats@...> wrote:

      > For curiosities sake were there any symbols that declared one as wed
      > or unwed?

      <<snip>>
      > Thanks, Sarah

      While in a library today, I found a big book that might be helpful:
      Diana Scarisbrick "Rings: Symbols of wealth, power and affection"
      (London: Thames & Hudson, 1993) ISBN: 0-8109-3775-1

      It mentions rings being worn by nuns as a symbol of their marriage to
      Jesus, as well as rings being worn by widows.
      I didn't have much loose change on me, so I didn't get to photocopy
      everything I wanted to, but I copied some of the more interesting parts.

      p.49-50 Mentions diamond rings.

      "In 1518 when the infant Mary Tudor, daughter of Henry VIII, was
      married by proxy to the baby Dauphin of France, Cardinal Wolsey, who
      was officiating, put a diamond ring on her finger. This contract being
      annulled, she was again betrothed, at the age of six, in 1522 to her
      cousin... Emporer Charles V who sent her a ring with a diamond....
      Another diamond ring was used at the marriage of Marguerite of
      Angouleme to Henry II of Navarre in 1527 was explained by Typotius:
      the round hoop signifying eternity and the diamond bezel signifying
      glory represented a king and queen bound together by everlasting love."

      There is a little bit more information about diamond wedding rings in
      George E. Harlow "The Nature of Diamonds" (Cambridge University Press,
      1998) ISBN: 0521629357
      Online:
      http://books.google.com/books?id=VO_dDD0mWmMC&pg=PA164&lpg=PA164&dq=typotius+wedding+ring&source=web&ots=UQk-EuIvfm&sig=zsGHgi9xSCaYawkDTxsG2YJ_tTA
      or http://snipurl.com/1ulnu

      Another style of ring is the Gimmel ring, which is sort of like a
      puzzle ring, with two or more rings attached together to make one big
      ring.
      http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/history/material_culture/plasket/meth.html

      There is also a book co-authored by Scarisbrick about the rings at the
      Ashmolean museum, "Finger Rings"
      Google books version with colour pictures:
      http://books.google.com/books?id=3HFEeYhdRmoC&pg=PA48&lpg=PA48&dq=renaissance+fede+ring&source=web&ots=Eoe4ba3uYQ&sig=EufHW596l2r8PjavzC32FxnXN1M#PPA48,M1
      or
      http://snipurl.com/1uloi

      Some photos of wedding rings:
      Byzantine
      http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wedding_ring_Louvre_AC924.jpg
      Jewish betrothal ring?
      http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Jewish_wedding_ring_MNMA_Cl20658.jpg
      Posy rings at Oxford:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartyeates/54892553/in/set-72057594075223093/
      Pairs of 15th century posy rings:
      http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh_gfx_en/ART26227.html
      A Fede (hand-clasp design) ring from Italy:
      http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/1487_renaissance/qtvr_fede.html

      It seems that wedding and betrothal rings were used as a sign of
      relationship status, which I thought became quite clear when looking
      at the rings worn by nuns as 'brides of Christ' and widows, I just
      wish I had photocopied that page so I could give you a better
      reference. Also, the sort of lovey-dovey messages on the rings might
      indicate that the rings are symbols of affection and love rather than
      ownership. Or it's a way of showing how hip you were when it came to
      your credentials in courtly love.

      Hope the information helps,
      ~Asfridhr
    • Sarah Stovall
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 6, 2007
          At 12:32 PM -0600 on 11/26/07, Beth and Bob Matney wrote:

          >So sorry about the top post (senor moment).
          >
          >I can send you a photo of some of the rings, but the photo is very
          >large (hi-res).

          I'd be interested in a copy of that photo if you'd still care to send
          it. My fiancee and I are getting married in a somewhat medieval
          ceremony next fall.
          --
          Auf wiedersehen!
          Michael

          "..No."

          -Real Genius
        • Beth and Bob Matney
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 7, 2007
            Hi Michael

            Sure. I'll be glad to send you a copy. I'll break it up in several
            pieces so that each is not so large. (We use a 12.8Mp camera). As
            someone posted later in the thread, there is a book that you can ILL as well.

            Take care,
            Beth

            At 07:27 PM 12/6/2007, you wrote:
            >At 12:32 PM -0600 on 11/26/07, Beth and Bob Matney wrote:
            >
            > >So sorry about the top post (senor moment).
            > >
            > >I can send you a photo of some of the rings, but the photo is very
            > >large (hi-res).
            >
            >I'd be interested in a copy of that photo if you'd still care to send
            >it. My fiancee and I are getting married in a somewhat medieval
            >ceremony next fall.
            >--
            > Auf wiedersehen!
            > Michael
          • Michael Hurley
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 7, 2007
              At 6:15 AM -0600 on 12/7/07, Beth and Bob Matney wrote:

              >Hi Michael
              >
              >Sure. I'll be glad to send you a copy. I'll break it up in several
              >pieces so that each is not so large. (We use a 12.8Mp camera). As
              >someone posted later in the thread, there is a book that you can ILL as well.

              Thanks for them muchly. They'll be quite handy.
              --
              Auf wiedersehen!
              Michael

              "..No."

              -Real Genius
            • balanttina
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 9, 2007
                hello!

                I found an interesting document among my 'collection' that mentiones
                what we would call an engagement ring. it dates to February 17, 1476
                and was issued in a village of Vesina, in the parish of Jugo, in the
                bishopric of Trident, in the castle of Henry (in present-day Carinthia
                in Austria, I think)

                my loose translation is as folows:

                'Odorik, sun of William of Brezio, an imperial public notary in
                Trident, makes a nuptial contract for Paul, sun of the late John
                Alouisia of Petra plana near Trident, and a bride Dorothea, dauther of
                Henry de Jugo. Before the notary, bride and groom have declared to wed
                each other, and the groom has put on a bride's finger a golden ring as
                a sign of true and valid matrimony. The father gave the bride a dowry
                of 500 florins, the groom gave her 'jutrna' (husband's present to his
                wife on the morning after the first night spent together, the morning
                after the wedding) of 150 florins.'

                lp, celestina