Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Working on Persona and Garb

  • Chris Laning
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
      You ask
      >Well, can anyone point me to a starting point on period garb? We
      >really like a reference to start from so we have an idea what we are
      >getting into.

      If you're asking for information on clothing worn in the Middle Ages by members of the cultures we now call "celtic" -- which is what I think you're asking -- one place to start might be this site, which has a good list of links:
      http://medievalscotland.org/clothing/

      I'm sure others can chime in with more recommendations -- this isn't an area I specialize in, so I'm probably not the best person to give you definite answers.

      Unfortunately for us, these particular cultures haven't left us nearly as much information about what they wore as we might like to have -- far less than, for instance, 16th century England. So it's quite understandable that interested and enthusiastic people have taken what scraps of information they can turn up and come up with outfits like the ones you've seen elsewhere. But I'll think you will find that a lot more information has turned up just in the last twenty years or so that enables us to do a lot better at attempting to re-create something authentic. And I know there are people here who can put you in touch with that.

      By the way, Medievalscotland.org has some good resources on Scottish and Irish names and history as well :)
      http://medievalscotland.org/scotnames/scotnames101.shtml

      Christian de Holacombe

      0 Chris Laning
      | <claning@...>
      + Davis, California
    • ctr2961
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 4, 2007
        My wife and I are confused about the time period and what is period
        and not. So my wife suggest we work on my garb first since it is
        closer to period.

        I would like to find any picture of doublets that comes with half
        capes(cloaks). I am unsure if the half cape(cloak) is period. If
        so, what time period or area comes from?

        I am looking for plates(period pictures) of doublets and fencers of
        the time period.

        Robert
      • squire009
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 5, 2007
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "ctr2961" <rcrisco@...> wrote:
          > I would like to find any picture of doublets that comes with half
          > capes(cloaks). I am unsure if the half cape(cloak) is period. If
          > so, what time period or area comes from?
          >
          > I am looking for plates(period pictures) of doublets and fencers of
          > the time period.
          >
          > Robert

          You can find half capes in late 16thC Spain. I'll look for the
          reference later tonight, since the book is at home. ;)

          Alcyoneus
        • squire009
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 5, 2007
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "ctr2961" <rcrisco@...> wrote:
            > I would like to find any picture of doublets that comes with half
            > capes(cloaks). I am unsure if the half cape(cloak) is period. If
            > so, what time period or area comes from?
            >
            > I am looking for plates(period pictures) of doublets and fencers of
            > the time period.
            >
            > Robert

            You can find half capes in late 16thC Spain. I'll look for the
            reference later tonight, since the book is at home. ;)

            Alcyoneus
          • chimeralife
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 23, 2007
              > I would like to find any picture of doublets that comes with half
              > capes(cloaks). I am unsure if the half cape(cloak) is period. If
              > so, what time period or area comes from?

              I know whenever I think of the half-cape late 16th century French comes
              to mind. Also the Italians at the same time, I believe.

              http://www.siue.edu/COSTUMES/history.html

              That is the history of costume online site. I find it a great 'first-
              look' at different styles and different times. Which helps me point in
              the right direction for further study.

              Tiece